Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Model Tech Extra 300 25-36 engine choice? >

Model Tech Extra 300 25-36 engine choice?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Model Tech Extra 300 25-36 engine choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:18 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Tech Extra 300 25-36 engine choice?

I decided to go with the MT Extra 300. Now I have to decide which engine to put in it. I have an OS 25 FSR ABC from when I used to fly. The engine has very little time on it. The other choice is a Saito FA-45 which is also in great shape.

I originally thought I would use the Saito, cause I love how quiet it is when running. However, I worry about the weight. The OS has more power, is significantly smaller (easier to hide in the cowl), lighter, and generally simpler to operate. I've also discovered I can get a tuned & muffled pipe for the OS, which would give even more power. Anyone with experience with this plane, or this question, who can help me decide? If I go with the OS is it worth getting a tuned pipe? I also asked this question in the engine forum.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:43 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Model Tech Extra 300 25-36 engine choice?

piper,
one of the guy's I fly with had one of these and just happened to have a 25 fsr on it, it flew well power wise however it was well beyond his skill level... these little buggers are fairly quick and twitchy. anyway it looked like it could have been a nice little plane/engine combo until he slowed it down to much on landing and snapped it right in. I've piped several .25's in the past... on this little guy I'd skip it, the plane will be more than agile and fast enough with the stock .25

John
Old 06-27-2004, 05:33 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Model Tech Extra 300 25-36 engine choice?

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the tuned pipe isn't worth bothering with. Since landing speed is an issue it seems I'd be better off keeping the weight down by going with the OS rather than the 4 stroke.