Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Tower Kaos

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Tower Kaos

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:43 AM
bkf1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Kaos

Hey Guys; A few nights ago I won a Tower Hobbies Kaos ARF in a raffle at our monthly club meeting. I have built a few kits but this will be my first ARF. Has anyone built and/or flown this plane? If so I would appreciate any comments or advice about building and flying this plane. I will using a Futaba 6x radio and an O.S. 46fx for power. Thank You.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tower Kaos

Hi.
Dont have the ARF but I do have the Tower Kaos kit version (along with several Great Planes and Bridi variations) with quite a few flights on it. In fact, just got back from the field this morning after screaming it around thru the sky. The .46FX will move it along nicely I believe. Mine is powered by a Super Tigre .51 and it screams. VERY nice flying plane, moves like it is on rails. Originally designed as a pattern plane in the '70s. I flew mine for quite a while using the 6XAS radio and built the plane with dual aileron servos and flaperons. Think I used the flaperons ONCE. For dual servos, I just widened the servo hole so I could fit two HS225 servos side by side. As a previous kit builder you shouldnt have any probs modifying that.
In my experience, the plane is not a floater and I have always had to land the plane with some authority (speed) to maintain positive control. Some guys claim it lands pretty slow but I would like a definition of what they call "slow"!
Anyway, it is a very responsive plane that will go where you point it.
I like my kit Kaos so much I have, sitting in the wings waiting to be built, a Great Planes Kaos, Bridi Super Kaos, Bridi Killer Kaos and Bridi Utter Kaos. Those last two are .60 sized and the Killer is a tail dragger version. Can you say retracts?
I think I bought the last kit version Tower Kaos they sold cos it was not available a week after I bought mine.
ORIGINAL: bkf1970

Hey Guys; A few nights ago I won a Tower Hobbies Kaos ARF in a raffle at our monthly club meeting. I have built a few kits but this will be my first ARF. Has anyone built and/or flown this plane? If so I would appreciate any comments or advice about building and flying this plane. I will using a Futaba 6x radio and an O.S. 46fx for power. Thank You.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I fly one of the Monokote versions with an Irvine 53 and it flies fine. I’m using a 12 ounce RST tank. It moves along briskly and will land slowly if you have the CG setup correctly. I had to add some weight to the tail to get the CG set because of the size and weight of the 53. I also have a kit completed but have not flown it yet. The Monokote ones are similar in design to the kit but the new red ones are different in shape and use some other type of covering.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Fubar-One

You are probably right on the CG. I believe mine to be a bit nose heavy but I am used to how it flies so havent messed with it. Come to think of it, one of the stick-on weights near the tail is missing...
ORIGINAL: 8178

I fly one of the Monokote versions with an Irvine 53 and it flies fine. I’m using a 12 ounce RST tank. It moves along briskly and will land slowly if you have the CG setup correctly. I had to add some weight to the tail to get the CG set because of the size and weight of the 53. I also have a kit completed but have not flown it yet. The Monokote ones are similar in design to the kit but the new red ones are different in shape and use some other type of covering.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really a super flying sport plane. 35 years ago, it used to be a top pattern plane. I had 3 or 4 in the middle 70s and recently have test flown and trimmed a few for guys in my club. It is still a great flying design. Tracks well, does all the standard maneuvers well. The guys around here use Thunder Tiger .42GPs, but a .46 would be even better. You'll like the plane.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:16 PM
ben flyn

One of the best planes I've flown!
Old 07-11-2004, 03:55 PM
bkf1970

Hey Guys, Thanks for the info. After taking a second look at this plane i noticed that i dont have to drill holes in the engine mount. I am thinking about putting a .40fp in for the first few flights before i put in the .46fx. However i am a bit skeptical about these strap type mounts.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Fubar-One

Those the kind of mounts that clamp the mounting lugs down to the mount? I had those on a Airmaster 40T trainer I had. Crashed that sucker time after time due to a crummy engine and had to rebuild the firewall twice. Dont think the clamps ever let go. They work ok but I sure wouldnt use em if I didnt have to.
ORIGINAL: bkf1970

Hey Guys, Thanks for the info. After taking a second look at this plane i noticed that i dont have to drill holes in the engine mount. I am thinking about putting a .40fp in for the first few flights before i put in the .46fx. However i am a bit skeptical about these strap type mounts.