Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AVOID THIS ENGINE AT ALL COST!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AVOID THIS ENGINE AT ALL COST!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 05:29 PM
cncswiss1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AVOID THIS ENGINE AT ALL COST!!!!!

a lot of manufacturers are going from ABC to ABN (nickel plated instead of chrome plated) because of the massive costs associated with the chemical (read EPA and environmental protection) disposal costs and general safety, I forgot offhand what particular chemical is the problem, but he costs will always grow faster in the more !QUOT!green!QUOT! nations. If I remember correctly Japan is very tight on these rules, hence OS is ABN now. and some American manufacturers are feeling the extra costs as well. and the Chinese made motors are still ABC (less environmental rules)

As with all manufacturing there are quality control issues, the best way to judge any manufacturer is to compile a lot of opinions from a lot of folks. some people may get a !QUOT!flyer!QUOT! as it's called. then it becomes a service issue, how quick can they fix the problem, nothing is perfect. ever get the wrong meal delivered to your table? how quick the waitstaff fixes that can make or break your decision to come back..

the biggest area to avoid is the mega high performance motors made solely for racing and power, these are always going to be harder to tune.

European motors tend to like lower nitro. (it's silly expensive there) and run well on lower nitro (higher compression), the will run as well but with a broader needle range with a head shim and higher nitro fuel. (Rossi and MVVS are very well made) but are probably not going to be as easy to use as a lower compression motor running higher nitro (not loads, just more than 0-5%).. in general a little De-tuning makes a motor a little more reliable..

now the big one: over half of all engine problems are fuel system related. that includes tank, tank padding (or lack thereof), fuel lines, muffler back pressure, tank location, prop balance (Big one), spinner balance, plane construction (vibration), motor balance (a problem with the LA motors). etc.. if it could cause a leak, a vibration, or a inconsistent fuel feed you are going to have problems no matter what the motor. the best motor in the world will run poor on a leaky tank.

my.002
Old 07-17-2004, 07:20 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Informative. Lots of info and good advise in this post. Thanks for taking the time to post your opinions.
ORIGINAL: cncswiss1

a lot of manufacturers are going from ABC to ABN (nickel plated instead of chrome plated) because of the massive costs associated with the chemical (read EPA and environmental protection) disposal costs and general safety, I forgot offhand what particular chemical is the problem, but he costs will always grow faster in the more !QUOT!green!QUOT! nations. If I remember correctly Japan is very tight on these rules, hence OS is ABN now. and some American manufacturers are feeling the extra costs as well. and the Chinese made motors are still ABC (less environmental rules)

As with all manufacturing there are quality control issues, the best way to judge any manufacturer is to compile a lot of opinions from a lot of folks. some people may get a !QUOT!flyer!QUOT! as it's called. then it becomes a service issue, how quick can they fix the problem, nothing is perfect. ever get the wrong meal delivered to your table? how quick the waitstaff fixes that can make or break your decision to come back..

the biggest area to avoid is the mega high performance motors made solely for racing and power, these are always going to be harder to tune.

European motors tend to like lower nitro. (it's silly expensive there) and run well on lower nitro (higher compression), the will run as well but with a broader needle range with a head shim and higher nitro fuel. (Rossi and MVVS are very well made) but are probably not going to be as easy to use as a lower compression motor running higher nitro (not loads, just more than 0-5%).. in general a little De-tuning makes a motor a little more reliable..

now the big one: over half of all engine problems are fuel system related. that includes tank, tank padding (or lack thereof), fuel lines, muffler back pressure, tank location, prop balance (Big one), spinner balance, plane construction (vibration), motor balance (a problem with the LA motors). etc.. if it could cause a leak, a vibration, or a inconsistent fuel feed you are going to have problems no matter what the motor. the best motor in the world will run poor on a leaky tank.

my.002
Old 07-17-2004, 08:38 PM
KLRico

XL .40. Absolutely worthless piece of junk.
I have to defend that one... I have one, it's been a while since I've used it, but last time I did it ran pretty well. Not too bad for a cheap BB .40

The worse engine I've had was a O.S. .25 FP with a RNV. I had it on a global tequilla sunrise, and there weren't very many times where it landed with the engine still running. Everyone was trying to figure out what its problem was, but we never figured it out. That tequila sunrise glides like a brick too...

For what its worth the Norvel Vmax-7 engines for the Lite Machines Helicopters have a really big problem with snapping con-rods. Although they are excellent engines right up to that point...
Old 07-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Bob101

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the O.S. 91FX yet. I've never owned one but there's a huge thread here from people who weren't satisfied.

The 4-5 people I know who have/had one didn't care for them either.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Lord Kimbo

Seen fellows with K&B's and they always have trouble. I stay away from them and can't recommend them.

I have had several Irvine engines and they are great. Been running my .40 for 16 years and she still runs great!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:18 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Lord Kimbo

Seen fellows with K&B's and they always have trouble. I stay away from them and can't recommend them.

I have had several Irvine engines and they are great. Been running my .40 for 16 years and she still runs great!
I own a number of K&B engines and have had no problems, in fact they are among my favorites, especially the screaming 48 and the older 61. What model K&B are you referring to?

Search the glow engines forum and you will find that I am not the only K&B fan.[8D]

jess

PS: Some years ago I had a K%B 40 in a Kadet that was in a mid-air at high altitude. The winglell fuselage came down vertically, striking an asphalt surface hard enough to leave a 3/4" impression of the spinner and literally shatter the K&B like a tea cup. As a joke I mailed the pieces to K&B and asked if it could be repaired. A short time later I recieved an engine with a note saying "New parts have been attached to your undamaged cylinder head. No charge.".
Old 07-18-2004, 06:26 PM
jk464

I just baught a tower hobbies .46 and have not had any problems with it. I have only broken it in and got one day of flying on it, but this should be when its the most tempormental. I can say this engine has some serious power for its size, my previous engine was a magnum .40gp and man what a difference.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:40 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

I have an os 46 la on a four star 40 that weighs 4.25 pounds and I love it. It always starts on the first press of the button on the starter. I have never had a deadstick. That engine ran great even on the first run out of the box. With that engine it has unlimited vertical. I also have a cub with a magnum 52 4 stroke and I HATE it. It doesn't start worth a darn and has a terrable idle. A few more engines that you shoud avoid are ops and saitos and rosi. They give a new meaning to deadstick.

[:-]
Old 07-18-2004, 09:43 PM
G.W.

Moki's are the best!!![8D]
Old 07-18-2004, 10:18 PM
jessiej

[A few more engines that you shoud avoid are ops and saitos and rosi. They give a new meaning to deadstick.]

Say WHAT?!?!?![X(]
Old 07-18-2004, 10:40 PM
rookie8

I have a Tower 46 I bought for $10 bucks, and it has turned out to be one of the best engines I have had. Maybe I just got lucky. It has never quit on me yet, after probably 50 flights. I turn an APC 10x6 prop and it will hover a Twist 40 at 2/3 throttle. I also have a box of OS 40 & 46 LA engines. They are all good for their purpose. "TRAINERS", but if you want power, stay away from them. The best bang for the buck though is the TT pro 46.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:55 AM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

I must be a lucky guy. I had a Magnum .46 XLS on my LT-40, crashed it (reversed the ailerons and didn't catch it somehow) and put the engine on a Big Stick 40. The only dead stick I've ever had with this engine was on the LT-40 when the muffler came loose. I didn't know what a dead stick was until I started flying my Four Star 60 with a Saito 100 (have overcome that, the Saito is great).
Old 07-19-2004, 08:12 AM
jessiej

There are a lot of lucky guys, tweet. A search of the "glow engines" forum will turn up many satisfied users of most of the engines mentioned here, as well as solutions to most of the problems encountered.

jess
Old 07-19-2004, 09:09 AM
G.W.

Magnum 4 strokes are the worst. I can't say anything about the 2 strokes because I have never had one. The 4 strokes are just a cheap copy of an OS.[sm=punching.gif]
Old 07-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I'd agree that Magnum 4stroke are the "worst" compared the OS and Saito, but "worst" doesn't always equal "junk". Just like the vehicles that finish last in car magazine comparos: just because they are rated the "worst" amongst the competition doesn't mean they don't have thousands of happy owners.

My Magnum 1.20 FS is one workhorse of an engine. It ain't got the prettiest fit & finish sitting next to OS and Saito 4strokes, but it sure is a reliable puller. Some folks have commented to me that Magnums are down on power compared to the others, but mine tached within 200rpm of the Saito 1.20 I had. The only real problem I have found with Magnum 4stroke relates to a poor seal between the intake runner and the carburettor with a stock o-ring. Either a slightly thicker replacement o-ring or little silicone fixes that right up.

Then again, I may just be another incredible lucky RCer.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Best engine I have ever owned is my Magnum .91FS. Would buy another in a heartbeat. Worst engine I ever owned was a Magnum .40XL.
ORIGINAL: hardcoreflyer

Magnum 4 strokes are the worst. I can't say anything about the 2 strokes because I have never had one. The 4 strokes are just a cheap copy of an OS.[sm=punching.gif]
Old 07-19-2004, 12:04 PM
G.W.

I have a magnum 52 4 stroke and it used to run great. now it loads up to where you cant even get it to the runway. it wont hold an idle setting. I don't think I would ever buy another magnum again. But I have to agree that it has power on the high end. any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
nsmjim
My Feedback: (52)

I've owned almost every engine mentioned in this thread and some that are not mentioned. It's hard to base opinion on ownership of one engine from one manufacturer. Hardly anyone has mentioned the Thunder Tiger Pro 46, which I have five of these and no problems with any. My 2 cents says they are great bang for the buck.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:59 PM
G.W.

The thunder tiger 46 is a great engine. very reliable.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:49 PM
jessiej

I guess I am one of the lucky ones too. My Magnum 30 four stroke runs like a charm. I agree however that it appears to copy O.S. and is a LOT cheaper!

jess
Old 07-19-2004, 04:58 PM
G.W.

The OS bgx 3500 has some problems. It doesn't idle and never holds a setting. I have also had trouble with the saitos.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just bragging on my 52 4stroke Magnum yesterday about how well it idles and runs. Sorry to hear that your runs like crap. They seem like a pretty descent little 4stroke for the money. I don't compare them to a Saito, but I like mine well enough.

I have an os 46 la on a four star 40 that weighs 4.25 pounds and I love it. It always starts on the first press of the button on the starter. I have never had a deadstick. That engine ran great even on the first run out of the box. With that engine it has unlimited vertical. I also have a cub with a magnum 52 4 stroke and I HATE it. It doesn't start worth a darn and has a terrable idle. A few more engines that you shoud avoid are ops and saitos and rosi. They give a new meaning to deadstick.

[:-]
Old 07-19-2004, 06:50 PM
G.W.

They are allright engines but I think that I have a bad one.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:09 PM
RC-Captain

I would include the OS .40 LA -- not that it is a really bad engine, but it is gutless & much too expensive for what you get. The .46 LA is the same size & weight ,but noticeably more powerfull & is only a bit more costly (although it too is not really much of a bargain).
This statement is confusing me The os .40 LA is the first and only glow engine I used on a megatech skyliner trainer . Once I received a few tips from RCU on starting it , it would hand start without a problem . The only time I dead sticked this engine was due to me fooling with the needle trying to make it run leaner than recommened . Other than that engine in my oppinion , comming from EP powered planes is buy far powereful enough for a plane this size .
Old 07-19-2004, 08:58 PM
IronCross

Volfy
Guess I am one of the lucky ones too. I have two Mag 91 four strokes and they will both spin a 14X6 prop faster then there OS counterparts at the filed.. Great engines..
Am curious about your 1.20... I was going to put one on a 66 inch Extra but was given the impression they were real heavy and underpowered ??. I am considering a Saito
100 now... Any idea where the Mag 1.20 stands in comparison to the Saito 100 powerwise ???.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.