Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Twist aileron center

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Twist aileron center

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 03:12 PM
LuckyArmpit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist aileron center

Those of you with Hangar 9's Twist, how did you center you ailerons? The wing is symmetrical. So, is the aileron straight with the top edge? Or, is it level with the wing's center line (draw a line from point of LE to the point of the TE)??? Or, would it be level with the bottom of the wing? Lastly concerning throws. For low rate, the throw is 1 inch. Now, is this 1 inch of total travel or, 1 inch up and 1 inch down?
I'd like to at least get it half decently centered before its first flight. I plan on using low rate throws for the first dozen flights so I can get used to how the plane flies. I know it will be different from my Arrow.

Dave...
Old 08-19-2004, 03:35 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Twist aileron center

I'm pretty sure mine is set "point of LE to the point of the TE" The 1" is from center to fully extended, up and down. In other words, from neutral up one inch and down one inch. And yea, use low rates for maiden.

PS watch out for them there trees!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:43 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Level with CL
1" each way on throws. I flew mine with 2" each
Old 08-19-2004, 06:55 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Level wit the CL is good but after the first few flights you may want to reflex them up or down a slight amount.

Mine started out on the CL & since the CG is slightly past 4 3/4 its slightly to the tail heavy side. This made the plane climb like crazy when throttle was applyed & float forever when landing. Sorta like flaps. I reflexed mine up in small amounts (like spoilerons) till I got it to where it was more enjoyable to fly

It still does great tricks but is a lot easer to manage when on or off the throttle
Old 08-19-2004, 09:17 PM
LuckyArmpit

I sorta thought the ailerons were neutral with the center line of the wing. I have a few flying wings where the neutral is from the top line of the wing and you would add some reflex up.
Anyways, what I am most afraid about is on take off, the plane may not climb from ROG and you'd have to ditch it at end of runway (on our field, just high weeds). When you look at these symmetrical wings, you'd think you would need much more throw in order for the ailerons to work. And I don't want to use too much throw because the control surfaces are pretty big!!!

Dave...
Old 08-20-2004, 04:37 AM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing you don't have to worry about with a Twist is climbing. You need to be ready because in about 20 feet you will be looking at the top of it as it rockets up.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:00 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

No doubt about that!!!!

I dont even think it takes 20 feet.

I will have to say that on mine it takes quiet a bit of throw to make the plane do what you want at slow flight. This thing will stay in the air with no problems at barely a click above idle. I spent the better part of a whole day playing with my high & low rates to get the comfort level I like on low & the performance I wanted on high. I can tell you you wont need full throws for alot of the 3D stuff.

I'm using the stock horns & 1" servo arms & with the links on the horns at the fartherest point away from the surface & the fartherest point away from the servo I have about 50% on elev. 75% on rudder & alerions on high & I get great flat spins, harriers and about anything else you can imagine. The harriers dont have a real steep angle of attack (about 40 deg) but they are solid. If I go much more on the rates I get a good angle but lots of wing rock.

It really payed off spending the time playing with the different rates.