Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Four Star 60 ARF - Here's a look...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Four Star 60 ARF - Here's a look...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 02:19 AM
Raintown
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Four Star 60 ARF - Here's a look...

Stopped by my local hs today. They had six of them (five now!). Anyway, for those interested, here's some info:
The ARF is well packed & everything is taped in place (no damage).
The covering job is excellent. There's no wrinkles and the seams are straight with proper overlap (though it could have used a better sanding job before covering).
The wood is of good quality. It's cleanly machine cut rather than the laser cutting used in the kit. The glue joints look neat & tight (hot glue & CA in places).
The firewall has tri-stock bracing and is notched into the ply fuse doublers. The adjustable motor mount is beefy & just begs for a four stroke. The holes are drilled & blind nuts are in place.
The wings have "drop in" aileron cutouts rather than the hatches used in the kit. The dowels are sanded & glued in place.
Large diameter pushrod tubes are pre-installed in the fuse, as are a throttle & antenna tube.
All control surfaces are pre-hinged & ready for CA.
The hardware is typical so-so ARF stuff. I plan to replace the tank, wheels, links & horns with "home grown" goodies. The landing gear comes with the axles & pre-warped wheels already installed. The tail wheel bracket is the same flimsy piece of junk that comes with the SE. It MUST be replaced.
The canopy is already trimmed and mounts with four screws.
The instruction manual is short & well detailed. It shouldn't take more than a few evenings to have this one ready to fly.
Looks like Sig has another winner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19645_10862.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	12392  
Old 08-01-2002, 02:26 AM
Raintown

Picture 2

Name:	19648_10862.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	12393  
Old 08-01-2002, 02:26 AM
Raintown

Picture 3

Name:	19649_10862.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	12394  
Old 08-01-2002, 02:27 AM
Raintown

One more

Name:	19650_10862.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	12395  
Old 08-01-2002, 02:36 AM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

Just started mine this evening,mine's red,I agree,it looks great,I have never opened an ARF box and found everything so securely packaged,I'm very impressed with the ARF.I built the kit version a couple of years ago,and liked it alot.This one is for my 7 year old son,and well,I guess me too!!Should be the perfect step up from his Kombat 40 Fun Fly.
Mike.
BTW,I'm using an OS 91FS
Old 08-01-2002, 10:14 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Nice looking ARF Raintown!

Large diameter pushrod tubes are pre-installed in the fuse, as are a throttle & antenna tube.
Are they still using the large black & white push rods? You might want to replace them as they will stretch and shrink with temperature changes which means you will be all over the trims at first flights! I been down that road. What engine will you be using?

You will enjoy this plane, good luck

Doug

Name:	19672_576.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	12396  
Old 08-01-2002, 07:30 PM
gaviti

Looks pretty nice but have you ever built a 4 Star? I bet you could get it to the stage they have it in about 5 hours. Then you don't have to fool with upgrading hardware and worrying that they forgot to glue something. Don't get me wrong, I like ARFS too, but the 4 Star is quite possibly the simplest and quickest kit I've ever built. Good luck with it...I'm sure it will be fun!
Old 08-01-2002, 07:50 PM
gaviti

Looks pretty nice but have you ever built a 4 Star? I bet you could get it to the stage they have it in about 5 hours. Then you don't have to fool with upgrading hardware and worrying that they forgot to glue something. Don't get me wrong, I like ARFS too, but the 4 Star is quite possibly the simplest and quickest kit I've ever built. Good luck with it...I'm sure it will be fun!
Old 10-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

Default sig 4 star arf

Just bought the 4 star ARF also. I agree that the quality looks great on this one. I'm also impressed with the quality of packaging, instruction manual etc. This is my first Sig plane but so far they've won me over. As far as the tailwheel is concerned, has anybody stayed with the stock one and been happy with it? I don't fly off grass, so that's not an issue. If I need to replace, what should I go with?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:18 PM
secondchildhood
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sullivan makes a nice replacement tailwheel assembly that mounts on the fuse rather than the rudder. It is then steered via a spring that mounts to the rudder. This is what I am putting on my ARF 4* 60 and was recommended by many of the club's "ol pro" 4* owners. Dubro also makes a nice plastic/nylon? landing gear that wont get out of whack the first time you come in a little too hard. Same recomendation there.

I'm still not too crazy about the tank being mounted thru the firewall. Seems like the vibration would transmit thru there and then direct to the tank, making the fuel foam. Are you guys doing that or mounting it conventional in foam and plugging the big hole in the firewall?

From what I have seen and heard. the kit is probably the easiest and fastest kit there is to assemble. I was just in a hurry, and am an inexperienced kit builder, so I opted for the ARF. I'll probably still build a 4* 120 kit this winter though. So mine has a bigger brother

Dwight Hayden
Old 10-12-2002, 10:57 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I've just about finished mine. It'll have an OS .91 4stroke. I replaced the tail wheel with the .60 size Klett set up and it looks real nice. I left the outer control tubes for the elevator and rudder but replaced the inner pushrods with 1/16" steel. I used the stock tank, but I made a spong donut about 3/4" thick to go around the neck and glue it on with silicone. Then you just don't push it in so hard to crush it against the firewall. Seems too work, I do this to all my ARFs. If it stops raining, I'll be test flying later today or tomorrow. GWR