Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Mounting An Engine - Help

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Mounting An Engine - Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 06:43 PM
lablkilz699

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting An Engine - Help

Ok, the engine mounts my super sportster came with....well I just cant figure out how they work for the life of me. they dont fit right on the firewall, and i dono how it would mount onto the motor...and im just really lost, i wanna finish this plane but cant until i figure this little part out.

THANKS

ok....does anyone know how to mount an engine period? suggestions...anything, thanks.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mounting An Engine - Help

Page 14 of the instructions says to bolt it to the firewall with 4 socket-head cap screws, lockwashers, and flat washers so it sounds like the holes are predrilled and have the blindnuts installed already. If the blindnuts are not installed, you just stick them into the holes from the tank side so that the barbs bite into the firewall.
To mount the engine to the mounts themselves, if they are the glass filled (black nylon) mounts, your best bet is to drill and tap for 6-32 cap head screws. I do this with every plane, whether ARF or kit built and have never had one fail. I have had one mount break where it was drilled but that was during a full throttle hole dig and the broken mount was the least of the damage.

I have never had a Great Planes ARF but have built several of their kits and the motor mounts they use are very easy to install. A VERY useful tool to have is the Great Planes dead center mount marking tool thingie. It consists of a tapered tip that centers in the engine hole with a drill bit that slides down thru the holder so you can pre drill the mounting holes. A must have tool, in my opinion!
ORIGINAL: lablkilz699

Ok, the engine mounts my super sportster came with....well I just cant figure out how they work for the life of me. they dont fit right on the firewall, and i dono how it would mount onto the motor...and im just really lost, i wanna finish this plane but cant until i figure this little part out.

THANKS

ok....does anyone know how to mount an engine period? suggestions...anything, thanks.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:52 PM
birdnest

I'm guessing that you have the great planes 2 piece black plastic motor mount. if so, you need to cut away the extra pieces that are there so that the two halves fit together. They slide on each other to adjust to the width of your engine. I usually glue the 2 halves together with a little thin ca.

peter
Old 09-06-2004, 02:32 AM
lablkilz699

yeah thats exactly it. two piece black ones.... u wouldnt happen to have any handy pictures of what to cut away lying around...ehh??

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 AM
scottfl78

I have built 2 GP ARF's in the last year.. Just put the halves together so that your motor fits snug and bolt them down to the firewall, drill 4 holes and wallah.. Good idea and drop or 2 of thin CA after you test fit your motor would be good too.. The 2 different mounts I had sort of snapped together.. I just mark the holes with a pencil and drill away.. Probably not the best idea but my motor mounting bolts fit right every time.. I also tap my mounts for allens.. Nice mounts as the accomodate many engines.. sorry no pics as I am in stuck in Japan right now due to typhoons.. Surely (hopefully) someone at your club can stop by and give you a hand..
Old 09-06-2004, 08:43 AM
birdnest

ok here are 2 pictures of a completed mount. There are many holes in the arms because I use it on a stand for breaking in different engines.

peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15331.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	170736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64930.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	170737  
Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
lablkilz699

Thank you very much. That was a big help!