Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Advance 40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Advance 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:26 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hanger 9 Advance 40

Does anyone know if the Hanger 9 Advance 40 is still available? If so, where? If not, does anyone have a good substitute in RTF format?

I have a Tiger 60 but also want a smaller 40 size low winger.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:33 AM
glowplug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 Advance 40

I don't think this plane has been manufactured for a couple of years now.........the Cermark Bobcat looks similar........Also maybe the World Models Super Sports 40.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 PM
BobbyRichardson

Ask Mike McConville in his forum under 3D flying I'm sure he knows.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Harry Landings
My Feedback: (8)

The Goldberg Tiger II is an ARF that should supply the same kind of flying as the Advance 40. The Advance 40 has been discontinued for a couple years. The Tiger II goes together very nicely and actually flies a little better than the Advance 40. I was not impressed with my Bobcat.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:15 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

<<...the Tiger II... flies a little better than the Advance...>>

That's an understatement, pal...

It flies a LOT better.

And that bizarre aileron servo set-up on the Advance really makes you wonder what the designer was smoking...
Old 09-17-2004, 07:20 AM
CGRetired

Hi and thanks.

My flight instructor has a Tiger II that he flys on a regular basis. Perhaps I ought to grab some stick time from him one of these days and check that out. My new Tiger 60 is a great flyer.

Dick.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:22 AM
CGRetired

Hi and thanks for the input. I have not seen the Advance 40, a friend asked me if I was interested in buying his because he does not use it, he has moved into pattern and spends most of his time boning up on that discipline. I recently solo'ed (in July) and am tired of flying the trainer so I moved up to the Tiger 60, but still want a smaller 40 size airplane.

Dick.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:42 AM
LSP972

<<...still want a smaller 40 size airplane...>>

The Tiger II, and the Advance 40, for that matter, are not very much smaller than a Tiger 60. 64" wing versus 70" wing, if I'm not mistaken.

Look into a Sig Four Star 40 or Somethin' Extra. Both are available in kit or ARF form, and are, IMO, two of the best all-around sport models you can buy, at any price. Both are true 40-size models, and fly equally well on a two-stroke or four stroke.

I have owned/flown both with .46 two strokes and .48/.52/.63 four strokes. Got a Four Star right now (my third) with an OS 52 Surpass that is my grandson's model. I had a Somethin' Extra with a YS 63 (my second) that I murdered earlier this year- but I plan to get another one. It is the best throw-it-in-the-truck-and-go model I've ever owned.

Your Tiger 60 flies super smooth, and while it will do basic aerobatics, it is really a low-wing trainer. You can set up an SE to be equally docile and smooth, but you can also get extremely ignorant with it (3D, etc.) if you so choose. It is an VERY agile little plane with no bad habits. Cutting the end rib bay off each side of the Four Star wing will accomplish the same thing.

Do yourself a favor and stay well clear of that Advance 40. In addition to being a lead sled, it just doesn't fly very well IMO.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:16 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

The Advance is no longer available. I cant remember what i was smoking when I did that one??? It was probably a Cohiba.

Actually the premis of the Advance was to have a sport model that took no glue to assemble, hence the aileron servo offset to one side. The torque rods were supposed to be offset accordingly which means there was no differential induced by doing that.

If your interested in a simple low wing model, check out the Hangar 9 T-34. It looks scale, but actually flies like a great little sport model.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:37 PM
LSP972

<<...probably a Cohiba...>>

Those Cuban virgins must have slipped some left-handed tobacco in that one...

Seriously, I understand the philosophy behind the design, but the execution left quite a bit to be desired, IMO.

Not your fault, I know.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:54 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Mike,
I ordered an Advance 40 as my second plane after a friend put my trainer in the ground and my four star 60 was still on the building board. I received the plane on a Friday and flew it on Sunday. I had many enjoyable flights with that plane and still miss it to this day. IMHO, light up another Cohiba and give us another great flying VRTF.

marty
Old 09-22-2004, 09:10 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

The problem the Cohibas are so hard to find. The Dominican Cohibas just arent the same as a real Cuban.
Tewll me what you'd want to see in a model like this?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 PM
glowplug

I'd like to see something like a good flying, nice looking sport plane. Maybe something that is one step beyond the "low wing trainer" category, but not quite a scale aerobat or 3D macine. My club has a fun fly contest every year........to do well, you need a plane that does EVERYTHING good, but nothing great........something like that would be nice.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Redcatcher
My Feedback: (6)

I own and fly an Advance 40. It is GREAT!!!!!!!!!! It forgives my intermediate flyer mistakes and always performs when the sticks are stirred correctly. You could top it by upsizing it to .60 to .90 size. Add top quality hardware because a plane like that should last a long time. Forget about the VRTF bit. It doesn't really matter if it takes 4 hours or 20 hours to get ready to fly. A great flying airplane is worth a little assembly time. Consider offering it in several colors with decals that allow some individuality.

Redcatcher.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM
CGRetired

I have a new Carl Goldberg Tiger 60 that seems to fit your requests. I am an amateur with this stuff, but my flight instructor/mentor suggested that I get this as my next plane after the NexSTAR trainer I solo'ed on. Several other people at our club recommended the same aircraft to me. Mine has an older OS 61 that seems to pull it along nicely. Not as fast as it could be, but it has absolutely no trouble doing all of the things I am trying to make it do, and most of the things the expert tries to do with it. It won't climb straight up forever but would if I had a tad more horsepower. All in all, a pretty good flyer. I made a few changes from the basic installation, but those were nothing more than suggested changes for a slightly more solid flyer.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

The problem the Cohibas are so hard to find. The Dominican Cohibas just arent the same as a real Cuban.
Fidel thanks you for the support!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:44 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I hear the Governator is smoking them in a giant tent attached to the Governers mansion in California. There's no smoking in any government buildings so he works in a tent most of the day so he can light em up.