Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

I've got some kind of radio glitch...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

I've got some kind of radio glitch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:01 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got some kind of radio glitch...

I finished my 120 lite and took it to the field to maiden. I ran the engine on the plane to make sure it was ok. G 26. At the field I put the wing on and started the engine. I range checked with the engine running a good 100 or more feet. Antenna was down. The left aileron was moving up and down about 1/8". It's the only thing we saw wrong. It was worse at full throttle than idle. All of the radio gear was salvaged from my other lite that went into the trees. I replace one servo. I'm using the original wing servos, HS 475s, 635 on rudder and 645mg on the elevator. both mounted in the rear. Carbon fibre pushrods, antenna wire in one of the unused servo rod tubes. I'm using a new reversing y for flaps, and one new extension. The rest went through the crash. I've orderd a new 475 and extension for the aileron. Any thoughts?

My other plane needed 2oz of weight in the tail and only a couple of cliks to get flying straight and level. She was just farther away than I thought!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:04 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: I've got some kind of radio glitch...

Sounds as though the one servo has a dirty pot and can't find center. Is it making a light buzzing sound ? My big Extra has 645mg servos all around and the left aileron servo started doing the same thing. I got it down ok and it was buzzing, but no change in setting. In mid flight, it would bank on its own and corrected with a side tap on the aileron stick. Very scary and hard to trim for straight flight. I couldn't bring it in fast enough.
Good thing you did a pre-flight, it could have done the same as mine or worse. You might try twisting the aileron extension and or place a noise trap 6" extension off the Rx before the 'Y'.

Do you have a section of ny-rod in the throttle linkage ? I found my 50cc had a solid rod linkage and once I put in a piece of ny-rod, the problem seems to be solved. That's one thing I missed on inspection after I traded for the plane.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Stick Jammer

I range checked with the engine running a good 100 or more feet. Antenna was down. The left aileron was moving up and down about 1/8". It's the only thing we saw wrong. It was worse at full throttle than idle.
Does it stop when you extend the antenna? Does it do it with the engine not running? It could just be engine vibration shaking the aileron. A little more info might help to find the problem.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:22 PM
suitcase

"Do you have a section of ny-rod in the throttle linkage ? I found my 50cc had a solid rod linkage and once I put in a piece of ny-rod, the problem seems to be solved. That's one thing I missed on inspection after I traded for the plane. "

My throttle push rod and clevis on the engine is plastic. It does have a threaded piece of rod screwed into it at the servo, and I'm using a quick connect at the servo arm so I can slide the push rod in and out for easy adjusments. Same setup on the other 120.

"Does it stop when you extend the antenna? Does it do it with the engine not running? It could just be engine vibration shaking the aileron. A little more info might help to find the problem. "

I didn't extend the antenna while doing the radio check so I'm not sure, however it didn't stop as I walked back to the plane. Also I didn't check to see if it would stop with the engine off. However, when I set the control throws, I was close to the plane maybe a couple feet and antenna collapsed with no adverse movement of surfaces.

I'm pretty sure it's caused by vibration because it got worse as the rpm went up. I may swap the left for the right to see if the problem moves to the other aileron. I need help to do it. It's hard to start and walk away and still see if it's moving. Kinda two man job you know?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:17 PM
mrorv

I had same problem with one of my planes and traced it to a faulty servo extension wire. A brand new one at that. End of problem.mrorv