Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New 81" GP Super Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New 81" GP Super Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:52 PM
phippsa3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 81" GP Super Chipmunk

Sorry not sure what happened to my pics!
Old 12-17-2007, 02:41 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCHubbub

Wow, after spending all of this time reading through 37 pages, this thread just came to a screeching halt. What happened?
Well it's embarrassing I haven't put mine together yet. I've a Saito 150, Robart Struts, Dubro Anti Vibration mount, Hitec 5625 servos, 1500 MAH NiMh pack, Carbon fiber tubes for the wing and elevator.

I went through some very hard times last Spring and Summer including loosing my brother. I'm trying to work up the energy to put it together. So I went out and bought a SIG Sun Dancer 40 and the GP Giant Aeromaster. I'm a glutton for punishment. I hope to have all three in flying condition for Spring. We will see.
John
Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM
dbmck

I have 27 flights on mine. It flies great with the OS 120 Surpass. My only complaint is the rather weak landing gear. Unless you really grease it in the gear winds up bending. It is easy to straighten but it is kind of annoying. If anyone has flown with the Robart struts I would like to know how well they are holding up.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about the same amount of flights on mine with a US41 gaser in the nose. Have not bent the gear yet. I try to do a three point landing in the grass to avoid bending the gear. Just bring it over the field with flaps down to about 3-5 inches off the grass and bring the nose up slowly to sall the plane in a three point atitude and let it settle onto the runway just as it stalls.
Give it a try.
Gary
Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
edwal07

Got my Chipmunk right after Christmas. Downloaded the manual the week before and went to Great Planes website for updates, noticed the new double pins on the center wing area with steel inserts. Really impressed with the way it looks, wasn't really happy with all the ironing I had to do on the wings to smooth them out, but they came out ok.
Wings and tail feathers complete. Have a CRRC GF26I gasser to mount. Engine is only 3 3/4" from mounts to thrust washer, fabricated a 2" aluminum mount to go between the firewall and standoffs that came with the engine to give me the 6 3/8" spacing as per the manual.
I have not mounted the engine yet as I have questions on the mount location. It is up and to the right facing the nose. Can someone tell me if I have to mount the engine off to the right, I know the vertical must be where it is to fit the cowl, but can I move the center of the engine to center of the firewall. I know enough about thrust angles to get into trouble. Can someone help me out?
Thanks
Ed
Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

edwal, Make sure you read through the intire thread. Also with using a gas engine please forgo the CA hinges on the tail and use either pinned hinges or Robart hinge points. I used the later and placed them so they would go into the ribs for better glue purchase. As far as the engine mount goes, use the cross hatch drawn on the firewall to center up ytour mount. You may have to extend the lines some. All engines crank center should be in the same place. The right thrust is built intro the firewall already.
Gary
Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 PM
tazzzz

gary9648 Ive been flying mine for quite a while now with the CA hinges with no problems,,as long as you seal the gap at he bottom so air doesnt flow thru. I running a G-38 on mine and lovin" every minute of it . I also am using the robart struts. Believe me its worth every penny,,,Because they absorb a lot of shock. TAZZZZ
Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM
edwal07

Thanks Gary and tazzz,
I just wanted some guidence, I have read all 38 pages and taken notes, I have already installed the CA hinges, and I will seal the gaps, I will keep an eye on them on the preflights.
I think the GF26I will fit in the cowl ok with just minor trimming for the spark plug and the front of the head. Would you recommend a servo for the choke? I can put a manual one that will come out the bottom of the cowl. Which would be best?
I plan on mounting the ignition module behind the engine. The mount I fab'd is 3" square on the front with 2" legs. I put a 1/4" piece of ply inside for the blind nuts for the engine. That will allow me to mount the module on the ply between the firewall and the engine, plus room for the 2500mAh battery if needed for nose weight.
I will post pictures once I get the engine mounted and ask for recommendations and suggestions. This is my first gas engine and my largest plane to date. I have 8 so I am not completely green, but close, I have been out of RC for over 20 years before coming back last July. I really forgot just how much I loved this.
Thanks for all suggestions and recommendations.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:27 PM
tazzzz

Personally I wuold leave the choke at manual,because its really not used that much,,and its just one more servo you dont have to be concerned about. You can devise any number of ways to access the choke, its so much easier,, most engines ,the choke is extremely easy to get at,,,,,But like I said just my opinion. Every thing your doing seems to be fine ,,let us know how you make out. TAZZZZ[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 AM
kochj

This plane looks great.....
Price seems to have come down quite a bit!

I noticed that mose people with glow engines (even 4-strokes) are mounting horizontal?
why not mount inverted and save the cutting on the side and put it out the bottom!..

26cc gasser goes good with this one?

Justin
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 PM
sevans16

I just got one of these on order from my LHS. I am thinking maybe a Saito gasser (built on a 220) 36cc all up weight to be about 61oz. I am also considering the OS FS-200 which is around 35oz. I am thinking I would like to go gas on this bird. Any thoughts on either of the engines???
Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 PM
kochj

Both are too new to have any flight experience......

I believe both would do well.....
The NItro os would require some balast....the saito gasser would not....
Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 AM
rc3dflyr

A chipmunk is a great canidate for smoke especially the 81" GP version. If you guys are lookin for a super light compact smoke pump check out the harris brushless programable competition pump it only wieghs 2.2 oz and does not require an aux battery,other systems are 8+oz. you can find them at harrismodelproducts.com. they are so light and small you wont even feel the wieght. rc3dflyr
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
kochj

Looks nice but the price always goes up when something is lighter than the rest

I know what you mean when you start adding up the weights......
I already have a pump for smoke, and I not sure if I will put it on my giant cap or not.....

I wouldn't have any issues placing the pump in this plane either, even though it is a heavy/normal one....

Justin
Old 02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

I have a 2-stroke 35cc gasser in my plane (yep - still haven't flown it) but I'm expecting ballastic performance. My guess is that the saito will be an awesome motor for this plane.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
hosam
My Feedback: (121)

Well, I just got mine from Tower... now for the engine. I read the entire thread and I need to purchase one of the following engines for this plane, Saito 180, YS 140, OS 160, Moki 210 or a gasser... lots of choices and the Toledo show is a month away to help make the choice easy...
Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
skillet92

I just bought one and i can't wait to get it in the air. I have ordered a 40cc BCMA gasser for it. Plenty of power and hopefully won't need any lead up front[8D]. I have always felt that it is better to have more engine that dead weight. And at a 14 pound flying weight the 40 cc will be a great match.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Sad News-I just lost my GP Chipmunk-it flew well with the Evolution 26gt on it-swinging a 18X8 prop and only other option was the $100.00 robart struts I installed-I will miss her.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Plane Jim,

I had posted sorry to hear about your loss and someone else posted they wanted to know what happened but they were deleted.

What happened to your plane?

Someone else had posted great planes was loosing the licensing rights and selling them cheap. That post was also deleted.

Checked the website, the Chipmunk had been discontinued.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: sevans16

I just got one of these on order from my LHS. I am thinking maybe a Saito gasser (built on a 220) 36cc all up weight to be about 61oz. I am also considering the OS FS-200 which is around 35oz. I am thinking I would like to go gas on this bird. Any thoughts on either of the engines???
The Saito will rip the fuselage apart. Of those two engines I'd get the OS200.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

I was wondering when tower would quit the chippie, I fly mine conservativley with a os120.
I want to keep it around for a long time,its a pretty plane and flies great.
Art would be proud
Old 03-03-2008, 11:59 PM
PlaneKrazee

I'm looking forward to a Harold Krier paint scheme, someday.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one

The Saito will rip the fuselage apart. Of those two engines I'd get the OS200.
I have not seen the glow 220 run but I have seen video of the new saito gasser ...
I had heard that the 220 glow would most likely rip apart a 73" qq Yak 54... but I wasn't sure about the gasser....

I believe that the gas saito engine will run quite a bit smoother than the glow.... especially at the lower end of rpms....
I have a ZDZ40F3A gas and it is unreal how smooth that engine runs...... but then again, it isn't a 4-stroke...

If I had the engine, I could tell fore sure, but I would give it a try....
But then again
it's JMHO!
Justin
Old 03-06-2008, 10:53 AM
PlaneKrazee

The OS 200 is reported to be very, very smooth. The Saito is a shaker. I don't see how adding spark would change that. But hey, buy one and let us know how it is. I would love a gas 4s. Does the Saito use a roller bearing con rod or is it plain bushings?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

Can't believe it, Tower has discontinued this plane. I just got mine a couple weeks ago from Tower at $250 which is a great deal in my opnion. Must have been one of the last ones. Putting a Fuji 43E in it. Now worried about spare parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.