Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

westonuk groove freestyle

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

westonuk groove freestyle

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:56 PM
wilkigmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: westonuk groove freestyle

Got some video of my mates Groove at the Weekend, just finished editing it etc, and will post it on my site tomorrow, then I'll put a link to it here. I have to say I was very impressed by it, and am now going to work on mine to get it finished for next weekend.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:19 AM
Tetley

Sounds good wilkigmc, always up for a vid

.Jim.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:34 AM
wilkigmc

Ok, as promised, here is the video of my mates Groove. I wont say too much about it, just sit back and enjoy!

It's the third video on this page:
http://www.guernseymodelclub.com/videos.htm
Old 01-19-2005, 07:44 AM
smartmove

I've decided I'm going to put the ASP .91 4 stroke into my Groove. I know it's not a light engine but I figure a hot 52 with a pipe (say pipe weighs 100g) is not going to be SO much lighter than the .91 4 stroke with standard exhaust. Fingers crossed the wing loading will stay OK.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:50 AM
smartmove

Very nice video. Pretty scarey moment in there! haha. Looked like it was quite a windy day.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:57 AM
wilkigmc

It was scary, even looking through a camera. Yeah, the wind was about a force 3-4, gusting to 5. And that was only it's second flight.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 AM
simon Ka

Good video, very good pilot in what looks like pretty harsh conditions.

Glad to see the Groove is going down so well, I started plans for a bigger version built around the YS110 with plug in wings and a deeper fuz.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:46 PM
tom222

Just posting to say thanks alot to Dave Wilkinson for doing the filming/editing/hosting of the video, and for letting me choose the music.

thanks Simon for being so nice about my flying! It seems windy in the video, but that was probably the nicest day I've flown over here since before Christmas. Cant wait for summer.

Thomas
Old 01-19-2005, 05:06 PM
wilkigmc

Thanks Thomas, glad to know it's appreciated.

Came up on my first awkward bit tonight...trying to get the throttle pushrod around the tank. Got it right in the end though, next bit is mounting the exhaust and setting up the radio, before the dreaded "cutting of the Cowl". Great idea with the clear plastic one to use as a template/practice. Hopefully can will be ready for test flight on Sunday, weather providing.

Two Grooves on the same flying site...can't wait!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:50 PM
GJAUBIN
My Feedback: (9)

Have been following everyones progression with this plane with great interest. Is this plane going to be available in the US any time soon?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:17 AM
simon Ka

I believe WestonUSA is now operating. I retired from helping out Westons so don't have any more info.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:50 AM
smartmove

Well, all the talk of weight issues with my ASP 4 stroke made me go and sell it on eBay and order a Saito 82.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:00 PM
RCFlyingFlo

Maidened my Groove this week.. Pretty nice viceless flying, though it seems to drift towards the left side quite a bit.. When I pull it vertical I need quite some right rudder compensation..

I have my rudder centered on the fin, but need to trim right, to stop drifting.

I did notice at assembly that the main wing was slightly skew on the fus, but didn´t bother too much about it, as it was about one cm. difference when measured from each wing tip trailing edge towards fuselage end (don´t remember the direction anymore)

I figure this is not a typical issue with this plane, and certainly don´t want to give the impression to people considering this great looking and flying plane to have mistakes.. just looking for some feedback and how people fixed it, if at all a known problem.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Tetley

Hi flo,Congrats on the maiden!! I also flew my groove again today still with the os61fx from last year and works a charm, I had real fun with it today and the guys at the club lined up to watch, they all loved it looks and the tight rolling harrier circles it can do

I also had the plane tugging to the right when entering a wall or sharp upline, just bring your cg back a touch and it will pull out nice and even, think im at 178mm on the cg right now and it feels 'Groovy' . It has a pretty wide cg range.

My main wing also try's to sit a few mm out but i just hold it inline when iI do up the wing bolt.

Jim.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:39 PM
RCFlyingFlo

Hi Tetley, thanks for the congrats, the looks of the plane are really awesome, I agree! Got quite some club members gathered around it

My flying still has to improve a lot until I can do all the 3D stuff, but at the cost of this plane it goes with not so much adrenaline

I indeed have the CG still pretty forward (around 150 mm) for maiden flight, so I guess I have to move that back a bit, thanks!

Then at next flight I´ll go the route of fixing the wing a bit skew into the right direction as well, and see how it flies.

BTW: I am flying with OS 46FX with Genesis Pipe with APC 12*6. Not run in quite, but runs like a dream. I have a 61FX with only a few hours on it still laying around.. maybe one day I´ll fit that one one too..
Old 03-29-2005, 01:52 AM
quaxxx

Hi together,

my Groove flies with OS 61Fx and Genesispipe and APC 13x6 very good. Has anyone installed Struttings from Elevator to Fin or Fuselage?
@ ********Flo: Can you also reply at RCLINE [link=http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=80521&sid=8fb3a43e0413ff1f4d3ec53ae7e05e0a]Groove[/link] , my English is bad, reading with Dictionary is ok, but writing.......

Greetings from Germany

Günter
Old 04-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Dave03B

Has anyone flown the groove with an Irvine 53? I've got one lying around with no home (as yet). I like the look of this model and just want to know if the irvine 53 will give good/enough oooomph. I had the .53 in a Wildcard before and am hoping for the same sort of performance.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-23-2005, 05:06 AM
dorgand

Hi Dave,

Did you get any joy with the Irvine 53 ?

Just bought a Groove at Sandown, and about to fit the engine, so I'm about to find out what fitting will be like, but am interested to know how it flies with that combo - also, did you use the standard muffler ?

Cheers,

Darren

Old 05-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Dave03B

Hi Darren,

I didn't get a Groove in the end. Left the .53 in my Magnum, and picked up a Flair Leo for a TT120pro. Would still consider a groove tho, if someone (probably going to be you) will tell me how it flies with the irvine 53!

Cheers
Dave
Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 AM
dorgand

Building now, and will probably maiden this weekend, so I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-24-2005, 04:35 AM
dhm.munro

What type of engine mounts are you using with 4-stroke engines in the Groove? I have YS 63 and OS 70 ultimate. Any tips?

Don
Old 06-24-2005, 02:40 PM
miskin

don

i used a flair 91 size engine mount,had to redrill the firewall.. i got a ASP 91FS with a 14x6 prop in mine flys superb infact its my favorite at the moment.

my cg is at 145mm. servos are futaba 3004's battery is just infront of the elevator servo(not in the tail)..

hope that been a help to you.

miskin
Old 07-14-2005, 07:51 AM
sdwood

Rob,

how have you got your cowl over the pipe - looking at the photos on page 1 there is a small hole cut on the underside of your cowl, which doesn't seem large enough to slide over the pipe, but you also don't appear to have access to the screws to put the pipe on afterwards.

Cheers

Simon
Old 07-15-2005, 03:51 AM
Robbiemeek

Simon,
I put the cowl in position over the engine first without the pipe on, then threaded the pipe through the hole I made underneath with the cowl still loose and tightened it through the engine cut out with a long reach hex driver. Then fixed the cowl etc. The engine cut out has to be made quite a bit bigger than the engine head to enable you to slide the cowl over so there is room to tighten the pipe on.

I am now on my 2nd groove and for a 50 size freestyle plane it is one of the best and you are going to love it! I have a rush from YT and a capiche. The groove is more floaty than the rush and I can prop hang the groove easier and lower, elevators and harriers are rock solid with no or very little wing rock. I had to set a 3% mix of rudder to elevator to straighten Knife edge out as it would fly a subtle outside KE circle by holding just rudder in. After I set everything up it flys straight as a die on KE. When you really get to know the plane and what it can do you won't be disapointed.

Rob
Old 07-15-2005, 04:07 AM
dorgand

Agree with how good the Groove really is - I bought one for my 7 year old son to take his B test with, and he loves it - only trouble is so do I !! Power to weight ratio is great on the West 50 engine too, which means even if you get it wrong you've got so much in reserve that you can pull yourself out of it.

As well as his B sylabus, he's doing blenders, inverted circuit, snap rolls, harriers and more with it - Knife edge is coming up soon, but I just need to trim it a bit more and he needs to practice more on the Sim before he goes for real.

On top of everything else, Weston UK is a great company to deal with - they're all really helpfull, and they have a great product in this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.