Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick40 mini-review

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick40 mini-review

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 03:52 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Ultra Stick40 mini-review

Hi. My first post here. I haven't built an ARF in a number of years, but I decided to try this one, after seeing a couple at our field. I also had an OS.46SF sitting new in box, that wanted to fly.

I built the model in 3-4 long evenings. Wanting to keep it light, I tossed the engine mount, and used a Dave Brown mount, which meant redoing the firewall holes. I also added pull-pull on the rudder, with Kevlar line. I also swapped out the 11 oz tank, for an 8 oz tank - I'm used to short flights. Using the 7 servo setup, allowing flap/crow settings, the model weighs in at 5 lb 1 oz.

First flight was pretty tame, but in high wind. Time to turn up the rates! The crow, or butterfly setup is great! On the Futaba setup, the crow is even mixed into the throttle, so at hi throttle, you have zero crow - at min throttle you have max crow - less switch flipping involved. The instructions go into detail for several radio types, on how to program it.

I'll probably change the programming later, but I'll definitely keep the crow programs. I probably have 30 flights on mine right now, with no issues with wing dowel rods, etc, yet.

Keeping it lite will make this model alot of fun!
Old 12-12-2001, 03:58 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ron, welcome to RCU! Nice review. Did you happen to catch Jerry Festa's review in the December issue of RCReport? He also had some good things to say about this model. From what I understand it's bigger brother is a joy to fly, and it sounds like the .40 is no different.

Any trouble setting up the US40 with your Tx? Did the instructions actually include setup for a Futaba? This had been a problem for some in the past, just curious if they took care of that complaint.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:19 AM
Ron S

The instructions show programming for the Futaba 8U radio, as well as several JR radios (652/783/8103/10x...) I assume the capabilities across the radio types are atleast similar, as presented in the manual. For the Futaba programming, the book was a step-by-step procedure on how to do it. I appreciate H9 in taking the time to show the programming for a non-JR radio!

I did miss Jerry's review of the kit. I will go look it up...
Old 12-12-2001, 08:12 PM
jpflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife as one of these with a Saito 56 in it. I had my doubts at first, but at less than 5 pounds with 7 servos, it flies great. It will even hover. I like to go to crow, keeping the airplane level and set up a high descent rate (like an elevator) then just before touch down, blip the throttle, flare into landing. I broke a few props at first, but finally got the timing down right. It usually gets flown first when we get to the field and is usually the last one we put up.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:32 PM
the crow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stik

I also have one and enjoyed it alot, especially The Crow function, hence the username. I'm new at the hobby and this is my 2nd plane, right after the trainer. Landing from about 500 ft altitude and making it to the runway is amazing. This is the only maneuver I know at this time but I think it can do most maneuvers in the book. I powered mine with a Saito 72 using 13X6 prop. I have to replace the wheels to accomodate this prop though. At this setup, you can have unlimited vertical, I mean unlimited where you lose sight of the plane.
Have fun, you;ll enjoy it.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:43 PM
Ron S

Another maneuver you can do (you can do it with an OS 46...) is with the crow on, takeoff and do a big loop. At the top of the loop, go to idle, and glide thru the rest of the loop, and do a touch and go. Crow will keep your drag high. Of course, you slam the throttle to full again, and do a loop/touch-n-go again! Lots o fun!