Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Sukhoi SU-31 Engine choice

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Sukhoi SU-31 Engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:41 PM
67ssmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Sukhoi SU-31 Engine choice

I just got my Phoenix model Su-31 ARF And have been reading allot of posts about engines that would best suit this aircraft.I just can't make up my mind and would like to hear what others have done for engine and prop combos.I want to stay with a 2 stroke and can't decide between a 46 which is what it's suppose to have or a 61 size.Things i've read say the 46 is under powered but the 61 is to heavy.the plane is suppose to weigh in around 6 lbs or so.I don't want to mount a 61 size and have to land it at high speeds just to keep it in one piece.Or do i want to have problems just getting it to take off with a 46 size.This is my third plane.My trainer plane was the falcon 56 and my second was the great planes ryan STA.Any comments would be most helpful as i'm stuck in the middle and can't decide ...thanks allot .
Old 12-05-2004, 09:06 PM
vtx1800

Default RE: Phoenix Sukhoi SU-31 Engine choice

I had a ys 63 four stroke in it and it flew well. Another fella had a magnum 61 FS and it did not have the same pep. I would think somthing like a 52 magnum 2 stroke would work well. It is a relativly hot plane on landing, not a screamer but you had better have had your coffee in the morning.
Lost mine to a ham operator that was shooting us down, FCC finally got em after years of problems.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
sheetsg
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I can say that today I saw the Phx Sukhoi fly with an Evolution 0.46 & 11x6 prop. Take-off was smooth and nice climb out. Vertical was sufficient for one or two rolls, but not much more. I was impressed. Other areobatics, loops were OK too. The pilot was not ready for snap rolls so can't say what it would be like there. On the knife-edge, he required some down elevator to stop the canopy tuck. There might be some roll mix required too.

Greg.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:51 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike - I got a Black Horse SU31, which is the same as the Phoenix one. I used to fly it with a 46 2C and not the new plane has a TT61. The wing loading is much higher but manageable on landings. I enjoy the amount of pull the 60 sized engine has. For me I say got for an MVVS 49 or the OS 50 SX. The 60 sized engine gives me more vertical but not that much. If you do have the money then go for perhaps a Saito 82. I think that will be a great choice. In all honestly, it flies nice enough with a TT46.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

67ssmike, If you want to stay with a 2-stroke, I would agree with the suggestions of the Magnum .52 or OS .50. If I were to replace my TT Pro .46 in my Sukhoi right now, I'd hold out for the Saito .72 or .82
Old 12-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Cogburn

a K&B .61 is very similar in weight to a .46bb engine and powers the plane great!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:58 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I know you said you wanted to go with a 2 stroke, but you really should consider a 4 stroke. The 4 banger will swing a bigger prop=better vertical. Bigger prop=better breaking on down lines and landing. Just a thought.

I have an OS 70II on mine with an APC 13x6, and I am quite happy with it. She grooves real nice, and landing just requires that you fly er in. If I were doing it again...the Saito 82 would be the ticket. Go for the bigger bore regardless if you go 2 or 4 stroke. Mine is heavy, but you wouldn't know it, that's how well it grooves. Stick with the recommended throws. Too much elevator=snap/stall.

Have fun!

Jim C
Old 12-11-2004, 03:40 PM
67ssmike

Thanks for all the replies your input was most helpful.I ended up ordering the magnum xls 52.I'll let you know in a future post how it worked..and all about my maiden flight. thanks again