Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KYOSHO Calmato 40 sports

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KYOSHO Calmato 40 sports

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 AM
gerriee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYOSHO Calmato 40 sports

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a review on the following ARF plane.

KYOSHO "Calmato 40 sports"

You see it is my birthday coming up and my wife has bought this plane for me, she doesn’t know that I have seen it but I feel it would be nice to know what it is like before I receive it.

I think it’s new as I have found nothing on it.

Thanks for your help guys!

Gerrie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88924.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	219849  
Old 01-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Fastsky

Default RE: KYOSHO Calmato 40 sports

Where did she find it?? I can't even find a listing on the KYOSHO site. If it has a sym. type wing, then it will probably fly a lot like the World Models Super Sports 40. If the wing is a flat bottom then you can expect it to fly a bit slower than a low wing with a sym. type wing and it will but loose a lot of speed in the turns. Upside is that it can land a lot slower than the sym. type wings and it will be able to almost hover in a breeze.[8D]
Old 01-24-2005, 09:46 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my gawd ... you spied on what your wife was supposed to surprise you with!!! Do you need for us to teach you how to act surprised??!! Hahahaa ... this plane is going to fly like the SS40, Tiger 2, 4* ... it can be said that all Kyosho plane flies really nice.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

I haven't seen or heard anything about it either, but if it's anything like the Calmato trainer, it should be a quick, easy build. And a great flying plane.
Looks good.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Fastsky

Re: "this plane is going to fly like the SS40, Tiger 2, 4*" < The planes mentioned here fly similiar but have very different landing characteristics. The SS40 likes to land fast, predictable, but fast! The Tiger 2 lands a bit slower. The 4* floats worse than any trainer and has to be slowed to a standstill to get it to come down! [8D]
Old 01-25-2005, 12:31 AM
gerriee

Thanks guys,

I went in and checked it out today at the shop, I think it should be able to be converted to a tail drager, nice setup before I step up to scale!

It also comes in blue.

Gerrie
Old 01-25-2005, 01:22 AM
tIANci

Fastsky - sorry to say this but everyone thinks the SS40 comes in fast for landings, that is not true ... I just got one and it comes in decently slow (not like a trainer of course but not much faster) if you flare her and use the throttle. I am not used to landing planes fast ... the fastest landing plane I have is the WM Super Chipmunk/H9 Aresti and you know how easy a plane like that can come in. But I do agree with what you might have noticed, everyone seems to come in fast with a SS40.

Gerriee - keep her stock!!! Hehehe ...

Fastsky - I know why your SS40 comes in fast! You are flying it upside down compared with us!!! Hahahaha ...
Old 01-25-2005, 12:34 PM
forestroke

gerriee - that is a beautiful plane!!! i almost want to go out and get one! after your wife "surprises" you with the gift, you must ask her where she got that plane... i want one right now!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:37 PM
tIANci

Forestroke - STOP BUYING PLANES! You have too many!!! Hahahaa ...
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 PM
gerriee

forestroke,

No problems will do!

gerrie
Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 PM
forestroke

tIANci - you must admit, that is one sexy plane. btw, i bought another plane. it's a align (wattage) corsair. bought it to see if, as stated in numerous posts, it really doesn't fly!!! lol... like a challenge.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:02 AM
tIANci

Forestroke - I am really not going to tolerate you anymore and report you to the Moderators, you cannot go on high jacking threads!!! Hahahaaaaa ... Only thing good from Align is the TRex only, flies really nice from what I can see. The b/less motors are not good for the TRex, will over heat. I got my GWS Spitfire, stock motor with 2S lipoly ... that plane is nice but is so scale that it will snap! I also just got the WM SS40 with a Rossi 45! She is fussy as heck but fast! Hehehe ... also got a few more EP planes and will PM you about it before you report me to the Moderators!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:23 AM
forestroke

tIANci - fine...

the kyosho calmato trainer (high wing) is an exceptional flyer and one i have enjoyed maidening for friends on several occasions. while the kyosho kits are not the easiest kits to put together, the calmato trainer was a cinch. i have even flown one where the student did not glue the wing halves together and it flew fine. it's not as light as other trainers i've flown but that is because of its solid construction. being not as light allows it to cut through wind a little better than some of those tissue trainers that seems to get whipped up in the wind. naturally the planes are not the same but i'm sure the heritage is. yours will be very fun.

i'm sure your birthday can't come soon enough!!!

tIANci - btw, i'm about finished with my WM Rambler... will post pics later :-)
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 PM
tIANci

Forestroke - I thought all Kyosho planes were light. Hmmm ... I still got my Laser 200 72" and my Edge 540 60 still in the room, engines mounted but not installed any controls, I am really lazy! Oh yes ... birthday just passed ... its Christmas Eve ... what you gonna send me?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Fastsky

Re: SS landing speed: I am going by the gliding speed of my own SS plane when I bring the throttle to idle and then just see what it does. It clips along pretty good! I am used to planes that like to, or need to land fast so I haven't tried to slow it down that much. It flairs fine and with the light weight it slows down well once it touches down on our grass runway. I actually prefer faster landing planes because a little wind suddenly coming up isn't going to cause the plane to stall. Speed wise the SS lands a lot like my Midwest Zero except the Zero is a tail dragger. The SS may very well be able to land quite slow, but the faster speed is predictable and controllable so I haven't really tried it. [8D]
Old 01-26-2005, 09:13 PM
forestroke

On the SS40 - many of my flying buddies started on this plane as a first plane. It may not be as slow as a trainer but it is definitely slow enough for most people to be comfortable with. In fact, as Fastsky proclaimed, it can be better than a trainer because it isn't slow to the point where it may just fall out of the sky and stays extremely docile right up to touchdown.

Gerriee - just to stay on topic here, the speed of your landing can depend on a few things of which some will depend on the airframe itself.

1. Wing Loading - the heavier you build it the faster it needs to fly in order to maintain a friendly glide
2. CG - the more forward the CG the more likely it will want to come in fast
3. Drag - the smaller the drag of the airframe and the propeller, the faster you will likely come in. Although this doesn't mean you will necessarily come in fast, it does mean that it takes a lot longer to slow down... just don't expect to slow down at the last minute.
4. Engine Idle - naturally if you buy a crappy engine that can't idle to save its life, you will come in faster. Getting an idle that allows the plane to come quickly to landing speed is pure joy. An idle that has you aborting every other landing is not (or pretending it was SUPPOSE to be a touch and go)

tIANci - when have i become your wife? lol... seriously though... i'm trying to unload a lot of things here in taiwan and i can't seem to find the right medium for it. i'm doing some house cleaning!!! Going to try selling it on ebay! Unfortunately, ebay taiwan is more like an online store than a second hand fleamarket. as for your birthday/christmas present, let me go to "pay it forward" to see what sympathy i can drum up for you! :-) ...
Old 01-26-2005, 09:41 PM
tIANci

Fastsky - i got a lovely plane with flaps once and I had no faith in the flaps making the plane fly that slow! Hahahaa ...

Forestroke - will PM you some pics, you can see my hobby room!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Fastsky

I have a GP Stuka ARF with flaps. I haven't tried them yet as I only started to fly it just before our flying season ran out and wanted to get used to it. Even without using the flaps, the plane lands as slow as an LT40. Can't wait to see what it does with the flaps down![8D]
Old 12-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Sportflyr
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Hey gerriee,

Hope this post isn't too late...

I got mine ordered today from Hobbytron. It's been a while since they had stock of these obviously.
It was supposedly in stock (just got them in today) and it should be here really soon...(We'll see![>:])
I told them blue but, I also told the gentleman I talked too to send red if blue was in shortage.

So, have you flown it yet?
Just wondering what your views are on it's characterisitcs.

Not really very crazy about the solid yellow undersides but I'm sure there will also be no "sillhouetting"
problems as I like to fly further away when the "hot doggers" high speed up and down final.[X(]
It will be an nice change from my solid blue bottomed H9 Arrow.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:03 PM
forestroke

it's a great flyer. it is among the easiest low wing trainers to put through basic acrobatics and take off/land really just a great trainer for beginners and a great sunday flyer for experienced ones. you'll have a blast!