Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Cap 231ex First Flight, I have some questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Cap 231ex First Flight, I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 12:38 AM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Cap 231ex First Flight, I have some questions

Lost my Lanier Edge to Radio problem. Got my hands on a Sig Cap 231ex. Below is the Setup

JR 8411's (2 on Ail, 2 on Elev., 1 on Rudder)
JR 531 on Throttle
Hangar 9 Engine Mount
Saito 180
Perry Pump
24 oz Tank on the CG
2700 Ma Nickel Metal
Bolly 17x8 Prop
30% Heli Fuel
Sulivan Tail Wheel
CG 4 1/2

The engine is running great (9200 richened Up). Taxied around to check ground handling. Brought it back and lined it up on the runway. Started giving her throttle and before I new it she was airborne. 1 click of up elevator was all it took for straight and level flight. Pulled up for some vertical up lines brought it up to about 3/4 throttle and she was pulling hard to the left. So here is the question. Did anyone else have to put right thrust in? The directions say not to put any in. I'm thinking it will take about 2 or 3 degrees of right thrust. Am I in the ballpark? Just wondering.

Thanks
Michael

http://www.alaskarc.org
Old 09-08-2002, 03:01 AM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

My Sig Sukhoi said the same thing and it made my laugh rather hard!

If you want your aerobatic (and most other prop.) plane to fly half way decent, especially in up-lines, you HAVE to put right thrust in.

2 degrees is a good starting point as you said, and is about what I have in my Sukhoi. We simply added washers behind some of the bolts to get a decent thrust line.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:53 AM
R.Runyan

Fishgod,

This plane flies great @ 0-0 degree incidents on the engine, double check it with an incidents meter not with your eyes and do not count on the firewall to help line it up at 0-0 degree. If you feel it is off to the left a little, it probably is...just stick a washer behind the mount and fly it, if you don't have a meter to check it.
You will find out real quick.
Another thing to consider is...Sig used a Irvan 150 for there test, some other engines my need a little right to it I normally do not just go by what the manual may say as it will not always apply to my setup.
What engine do you have in it? What prop? How do you plan to fly? So guys like a little up thrust in there planes for 3Ding, just depends on how you want it to fly...I.E. what ever works for you.

I have an Moki 1.35 in mine and it has no right or down in it and flies and track at low and high speeds. Usually if a plane is climbing at a slow speed and then level out at a higher speed it has too much down thrust same for right thrust. If you have an engine that is overpowering the aircraft then you will need to fine tune it to that engine thrust. If you notice how the manual reads, they are constantly telling you what worked for them...well... that may not work for you. Just try some things you will get it where you want it. As long as you do not over degree your thrust angle you will be ok.

Hope this helps,

Robin
Old 09-08-2002, 12:38 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have to add a little because of your engine choice.. I had to put a little right thrust in my sig extra with a 160fX..
All in all the cap231ex is a beautifull looking and flying airplane.

After getting familiar with it adjust your CG. I fly my extra with it balanced at 29% what a *****cat that airplane is to land.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:48 PM
fishgod

Default Right Thrust

R.Runyan,
The wing and the tail are at 0º but I did not check the engine to wing. I understand how to set the incidence but how do you verify the left right thrust? I have never done this before. I have a robart meter.
I am really into IMAC flying. I entered my first contest in June and flew in basic. I took first place so I moved up to sportsman for the August contest. The day before the contest I was getting in some last minute pactice and that is when my Edge got a mind of its own. The only plane that I had was a clipped wing 4*60 with a 91fx. They let me fly for fun and they scored me. At the end of three rounds I took first place but of course it was unoffical.

Thanks
Michael
Old 09-11-2002, 04:13 AM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

I have an OS 1.60 and it required about 2.5 deg R thrust. Never checked W/a meter...
Old 09-11-2002, 07:17 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

I use a straight edge across the drive washer then measure back to the leading edge of the wing. If the wing is square then this is quick and easy. You can also measure back from the tip of the prop to the wing, making sure that the distance from the fuse. is the same on each side when you take the measurment. I used a #8 washer under the front holes between the engine and mount to get a little right thrust.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:09 PM
fishgod

Default Wow!

I put about 2.5 degrees of right thrust in the plane and flew it again last night. All I can say is wow. With the saito 180 and 30% heli fuel the plane is an absolute bottle rocket. I lined up on the runway started coming up on throttle and she lifted off the ground. Pulled her vertical and came to full throttle and it accelerated climbing until I told it otherwise. This plane flys alot more true then my sadly departed Edge 540. The cap goes where you point it. The edge always seemed to be hunting. You had to stay on top of it when flying your straight lines in IMAC. Well I cant wait to get to the field and do some more triming to get this thing 100% dialed in. I have to hurry up because we have termination dust on the mountains (snow). Only about 4 or 5 weekends left before the white stuff is everywhere. Then I will have to wait for the lakes to freeze up.

Michael