Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pilatus Porter Finished !

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilatus Porter Finished !

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 12:02 PM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilatus Porter Finished !

I think once I get mine out to the field, there might be someone else with an interest. With 150 members in the club, there's always someone with different tastes

jim!
Old 10-12-2002, 05:14 PM
pequeajim

Hey Jim... What did yours come out to weight wise??

I put a lighter engine in, but I added a ton of hardware to support all of the gadgets I put in the plane, so mine tips the scales at 14.2 lbs.

With the wing area, I am hoping that the plane will fly ok.

That's why I wanted to get your weight, as a point of reference.

My instructions didn't come with a CG dimension, so I just used 28% from the front of the wing?

Thanks
Jim!
Old 10-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Ed

13 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30209_175.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	16166  
Old 10-13-2002, 12:20 AM
pequeajim

Wow! That came out really light. I'll bet it flys pretty good!

I didn't think I added that much wood with my plane, and my engine is lighter than a BGX, man....

Well, we'll see how she flys.

Thanks Jim!
Old 10-13-2002, 03:48 AM
Ed

Your quote > "I am putting a BME 2.7 in mine. It is a very light engine and powerful. "

You did use this engine, didn't you ?

And yes, mine flys beautifully.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:10 AM
pequeajim

Yeah, I did... I debated it for a while but since I am towing large gliders up, I wanted to have too much power rather than not enough.

The plane is heavier than I would like it to be but not because of the eigine, but more cause of the extra hardware that I have in it.

Jim!
Old 10-18-2002, 09:45 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Default Engine mounting

Did any of you add any right angle when you mounted your engine? If so, how much?

Thanks,
Old 10-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Tailman
My Feedback: (3)

Default Not neated

I am sure that some have , but the fact of the matter is the firewall is 1/2" thick. It will take most any power without a problem. triangle stock is already in place from the factory. Hope this helps. Like to hear from some of the builders.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:59 AM
n64uw
My Feedback: (3)

I am mounting my BGX-1 on the Porter. The instructions suggest starting with 3 degrees down and 1 degree right thrust. I calculate that the mounting holes must be 9/32 above center and 1/8 right and the back plate needs to be 3/16 on top and 1/4 on the left.

Now the question is how to build the shim...how have others solved this problem? I am using the supplied OS backplate for mounting to the firewall. I have a Slimline Pitts style muffler that will protrude into the firewall too.

Any suggestions?

W. Stewart Tittle
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Old 11-08-2002, 02:18 AM
Ed

Stewart, I used the OS BGX-1, stock radial mount, and stock muffler, zero / zero thrust. You didn't say which way you were mounting the engine. I angled the cylinder 45 degrees down to the right, and this allows the muffler to sling under the firewall, pointing downward. All is working out extremely well. Don't worry about any thrust adjustments, you can always add them later.

You may be able to see the engine angle in the picture.

And PEQUEAJIM, you owe us a flight report !

Name:	34377_175.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	16167  
Old 11-08-2002, 02:49 AM
pequeajim

Default <red faced>!!

I finally did get out to fly the plane about two weeks ago. Thanks Jim for all of your input and you are right, the BME is WAY to much for this plane. I knew it would be over powered, but man, the engine is a stump puller!

As it turned out, the plane flew a little nose heavy which is not the plane's fault, but flew great! The bigest problem that I had to deal with was the clearance of the 20" prop. I cracked my carbon fiber prop because of this. I ended up putting a higher pitch 18" prop.

The other worries that I had were with the hole in the belly when I open the bomb bay doors, and carryling a 2.5 pound skydiver up in the air.

I took the bomb bay doors off and flew it around and noticed that it created a lot of drag and the plane wanted to balloon very slightly. This was easily delt with after I got used to it.

I attached my skydiver and taxied out and the plane just jumped off the ground, even with the extra weight and no flaps!

This plane will be a great all around "gadget" plane for pics, candy drops, skydiver drops and towing gliders.

I know that the guys that use their planes as tugs like them a little nose heavy. I am going to try the MVVS 1.6 in the nose to see the difference. It can use the same H9 mount as the BME, but I may try a Great Planes 1.20 sized adjustable mount to reduce a little vibration.

I'm pretty happy with the plane and was telling Anthony from RC Plane Power that I'll bet if I did all the mods to another plane again, I could save almost a pound. I really overdid it with this one, but it handles the weight just fine.

Well Jim, that's it for now.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:23 AM
ChinookPilot

Default G-38 for Power

Alan and Carlos,

Have you guys finished mounting your g-38's in your plane? I am getting ready to start mine and am also going to use the G-38. Sure would appreciate any feedback including pics if you can help.

Thanks!

Sam
Old 11-08-2002, 07:29 AM
Birddog-RCU

Default G-38

Sam,

I'm waiting on a set of engine standoffs a friend made for me. The available cup mount seems to be too long. I really liked what Carlos did with the Mountain Rescue scheme and will do something along those lines but with a bit more red or "rescue orange".

Here is the link to pics of Carlos' Porter. I don't think he went with the G-38.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...PILATUS+PORTER]
Old 11-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine choice

I wanted to go gas and temp-installed the G-38 but sooo much engine stuck out of the cowl that I didn't like the look so I installed a Saito 180 inverted with a pump.
The fuel tank was a problem for me due to the short space between the firewall and the dash so I mounted a flat 16 oz tank on the floor under the seat wraped in foam.
The throttle servo is mounted to the right of the pilots legs on the front/bottom of the "dash" former.
Hoped to fly it this weekend but we're experiencing our first major storms of the season.
Carlos
Old 12-16-2002, 08:52 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default pilatus turbo porter

actualy its like some people say
eather you love the model or you hate it
i am currently working on a turbo porter
scale 1 to 5

metric: span 3.20 lenght 2.20
engine: Wren Turbo prop ( 3 blade 21-10)
7.5HP

see the plane here:
http://www.modellbau-kuhlmann.de/pilatuspc6.htm

watch the detail level!

the engine i am fitting is here see picture

i hope to fly it in a couple of weeks until finisched

reg Sandor
Old 02-05-2003, 04:53 AM
Birddog-RCU

Default Finally off my butt...

I finally go off my butt and now just about have my Pilatus Porter done. Here are some shots during building. A little hard to see but yes... I did stuff a G38 in it.

Name:	52789_1465.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	16168  
Old 07-11-2003, 02:59 PM
McCain

Pilatus Porter, wow I've been working on mine for a long time ,not because of difficulty but because of full time job and family. Men this is a beautiful model and I schemed it to "air America" stand off (way off} scale colers and letters .
I hope to fly with the club this weekend if weather permitts
G-38 Hitec & Futaba painted interior and pilot . This arf has a lot of Quality in construction but the hardware could have been better.I'll let you all know how it flys
Old 07-12-2003, 04:58 AM
Birddog-RCU

Default Porter

YES, let us know how it flys. I have yet to fly mine with the G38 because of the same reasons. Why do we have to work when there is so much flying to be done?
Old 07-14-2003, 02:23 PM
McCain

Hey Men,
Greetings from SW Ga. Or I should say ya'll sould have seen that.The Pilatus flew like it was on rails 3 clicks down and 2 clicks right..The G-38 is more than ample power,found myself driving around the patch with about 1/3 thottle , stalls are good ,spins are real ,loops are large.. It fly's easyer than my giant stinger.But the day was not with out a knee shaking moment!!!!
A colller worked lose , how you say,(no blue lock-tite on set screw) I over looked it onmy 49th inspection before flight . Good news is I had Landed the plane several times before the left wheel slung off the plane .. Brought it in slow with full flaps on the grass runway without a hitch ..whew I realy got them ole knee's shakin then .. Great plane and a great day .. I can't say enough about pre-flight do-it and then do-it again..
Ed
Old 07-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Birddog-RCU

Default Wheel Collars

Had the same thing happen to me with a Byron Husky last year. Second flight... too much elevator caused a loop to snap and the G's helped a loose collar find it's exit from the plane. I had to land mine on asphalt but with flaps and some good luck was able to bring it in barely scratching the paint on the now wheel-less left landing gear strut.

Gotta love those STOL planes!

How did the Pilatus balance out with the G38?
Old 07-14-2003, 03:02 PM
McCain

Birddog'
The plane balanced with about 6oz's inthe tail under the horz. stab.But I really set my engine out to the limit trying to capure the long nose look.Three blade 16/8 prop.. Gotta go for now I have to work midnights tonight .. Shoud fly again wed or thurs I'll let you know..
ED
Old 07-30-2003, 12:02 AM
McCain

Hey Fellow Porter Fans,
I got some bad news,, during my fourth flight the fire wall pulled out of the airframe.. No warning the Porter is now scrap!!
How you ask,seems like the fire wall in mine was only ca'ed..
The prop and spinner was balaced no vibration.. I am just sick
this was a beautifull model and flew great .. I had great plans for this plane towing a 110" glider was one but never got that far..
I have an e-mail in to rcplane power I hope they can enlighten me...I pretty much as do this rest of my club"port city fliers" that this problem was a defect from manufacter...
I'll keep you posted on rcplane power reply in the meantime please check out your planes and be sure you are not about to lose it..
Heart broke in ga
Ed McCain