Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Wagstaff Extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Wagstaff Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 04:47 AM
vtsmx-DELETE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Tube Fit

Skypilot . . .

My wing tube is too tight also. The O.D. of the aluminum tube is 1.178, but the diameter of the fuselage and wing tubes are 1.158. There is no way I can get the tube through the fuse or deep enough in to the wing panels. My fuse and wing tubes are also of the same material you described.

vtsmx
Old 09-30-2002, 10:27 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Default wing tube fit

VTSMX,

If you have a good fuselage, canopy and cowl I would ream the cardboard tube at the wing root and fuselage sides and work the tube in. Spray the aluminum tube with silicone and it should slide better. It will probably loosen with some flying.

I had to stand the wing tip on a pillow and really shove and twist the tube to get it in, I was afraid I would break something but I didn't.

Brian
Old 09-30-2002, 10:49 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Default Wagstaff Extra 300

I installed my wings last night and they too are SUPER TIGHT. I cracked the wing sheeting just getting them on by grabbing it. There is NO slip in the cardboard tubes. Putting this thing together is going to be a pain in the rump. I am thinking about taping some sandpaper to a 1" tube and lightly sanding the inside of the cardboard tube. I also thought applying car wax to the tube might help. any other ideas.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:35 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sanding them will work - this can be tricky.
Use a 1" dia pipe- wrap sticky back 180 /220 grit paper around the pipe in a section abour 3" wide - until the dia is a smooth fit into the tube - auto shops carry this paper. .
using a twisting motion in the direction which keeps the sandpaper wound, move it slowly thru the tube .
Use some discretion !
Old 09-30-2002, 02:09 PM
mr. rc

my wing tube too is tight.i was able to slip it into the fuse after a little effort.the fit was perfect once the initial installation was done and tube was worked some,twisting the tube as i slid it back and forth.the same applys to my wing tubes
Old 09-30-2002, 03:01 PM
X300Pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys,

Now that you mention it, the wing tube IS a bit snug, but like anything else that is "NEW" it will probably require some "tweaking".

I'm sure it will loosen some after a few flights.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:09 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP PW X300

Finished mine to 99% yesterday. Took about 15 hours. Using a Moki 1.8 with Bisson Pitts muffler, put the rudder servo on the receiver mounting plate amidships to get weight from the tail. Balances perfectly with plenty of lattitude for moving battery to shift CG.

Total weight is 14.5 lbs, resdy to go minus tail wheel springs and glow plug extension (boy, those'll add a BUNCH of weight!)

My wing and stab tubes were slip fit, not tight or loose. Could it be a humidity problem expanding the cardboard?

Will fly when Model Graphics finishes the vinyl stuff he's developing.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:21 PM
X300Pilot

I think humidity has a LOT to do with the way that the wings fit onto the tube.

thanks for the input
Old 09-30-2002, 03:34 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Default Re: GP PW X300

Originally posted by pettit
Will fly when Model Graphics finishes the vinyl stuff he's developing.
Are the included graphics wrong? Or just incomplete?

I haven't bought my gasser yet and I have a Moki 2.1...would love to hear how yours flies. Could save me $500.

Are you building it for a magazine article?
Old 09-30-2002, 03:53 PM
SMALLFLY-

As far as humidity goes The thing has been sitting in my house for a week with AC going and it is certainly not humid. It would appear there were some variations in the tube. Oh well I'll get there it will just take a bit longer.
14.5 lbs sounds promising. I am going to use a bme 50 that will add about another pound and I was hoping to come in under 16 lbs. sounds doable
Old 09-30-2002, 04:10 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Default gp pw x300

For hattend, the graphocs are fine as they come from Great Planes. Model Graphics is doing vinyl rather than self-stick to eliminate all the "clear plastic" between the big letters.

For smallfly, I believe the Moki 2.1 will turn the same size prop at the same RPM as most equally sized gassers. Plus, it weighs less. Uses more fuel, but it can do fine with FAI blend.

(Also, I HAD my 1.8 already. That counts for something!)

All planes I build are reviewed in R/C REPORT. As of today, I have done more than 100 review models, and there's a few still left on the floor to be done. Just submitted the Hangar 9 Sukhoi with a GT-80 twin. Next is the Extra, then the SIG Kadet Senior ARF, then.... The list keeps on getting longer
Old 09-30-2002, 11:39 PM
vtsmx-DELETE

Default Wing Tube

For those having problems getting the wing tube to fit, I contacted GP (800-262-7885) today and logged the problem. I was told someone from their R&D dept would be contacting me within the next couple of days. I'll go ahead and post the response. Was also told by the person logging the call that they had not heard of this problem before. I suggested they might want to take a look at this thread.

Thanks for the suggestion of trying silicone on the tube. Have tried it and still can't get it to go. I thought for sure I was going to break the fuse and the wing panel(s) trying. Regarding the humidity idea - Personally I'm not expecting any relief on that front since I live in Arizona, plus it's been in the air-conditioning for a few days now. If humidity is what's causing some of the problems due to the material used in the fuse and wings, seems like it could make it real interesting for those in areas experiencing significant fluctuations in humidity. One day it might fit ok and a few days later it could be loose or too tight.

Has anybody who has a tube that fits used calipers on it to see what the diameter is? Sure would be interested to hear if it's smaller than mine . . . . Thanks.

vtsmx
Old 10-01-2002, 12:21 AM
PlaneKrazee

Old 10-01-2002, 01:01 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Well I just tried mine and they are tight. However with a little patience and twisting, I have got them very snug and workable. IT TOOK SOME TIME. I found that once it broke thru, it got a lot better, almost like there was a lip preventing it from going in. But I also understand that was just my (one of how many?) plane.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:23 AM
LeeB

Just tried my wing tube.

It fits fine in the fuse.

wing panels are a different story. first wing panel tight but doable. next wing panel too tight to get it seated. get the tube about 1/2 way in and gets so tight that i can hardly twist it. Hope they come up with a cure.

It looks to me as if it might be the glue that they used on the tubes in the wing and fuse. Looking into the tube i can see the seams of the tube very clearly(lots of dark from the glue)

I wonder if a cylinder hone would work. (like they use on brake cylinders)??? I have a friend that is a machanic. Think i'll pay him a visit tommorow.

Something else that may work is baby powder. I'll give it a try and let ya know.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:17 AM
PlaneKrazee

LEEB,

The baby powder sounds like a very good idea.

Brian
Old 10-01-2002, 10:42 AM
qspilot

That is good info. I am supposed to pick mine up today at LHS. Can't fly in darn thing if the wings don't go on. You know they never checked the tube during manf. I hope humidity does not effect it I live in sticky Florida. I wonder how the bigger planes such as Aeroworks and Carden's wings fit. I would hope they are tight but slide on easy.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:58 AM
SMALLFLY-

I fixed the extreme tightness on my wing tubes last night. First take fine emery cloth and buff down the aluminum wing spar wipe it off and wax it with an automotive wax. Then take some 100 grit sandpaper and sand inside the tubes as far back as you can reach with your finger inserted. most of the binding on mine was very near the edges where there was a little excess glue . They now slide on pretty well, still snug but much better. Got the stab on last night. The fit on the tubes was much better on it.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:00 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I wonder how the bigger planes such as Aeroworks and Carden's wings fit. I would hope they are tight but slide on easy.

They fit perfectly.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:07 PM
qspilot

I guess you get what you pay for with Aeroworks and Carden. I don't want to invest that type of money til I get more experienced with Giant Scale. Hopefully everything on my GP Extra will fit good. I am picking it up this afternoon so I will keep you posted. I don't want to sand down the bar or tube much. A 15 pound airplane times 9 G's is 135 pounds on the bar. Anyone flying one of these yet? Why not go do a full throttle blender and see if it all stays together.

Chris
Old 10-01-2002, 06:50 PM
SMALLFLY-

I don't recommend sanding down the aluminum tube, only buffing it with emery cloth for smoothness
Old 10-01-2002, 06:56 PM
hattend

Default I'll try to contact AnnMarie Cross

I'll try to contact AnnMarie Cross and have her take a look at this thread. Maybe GP is unaware of the tight fitting tubes?

Don
Old 10-01-2002, 07:05 PM
qspilot

Well guys I just picked up my GP Wagstaff Extra 300. It looks real good. There are a few paint chips missing on the cowl. My wing tubes fit perfect as do the horizonal stab tubes thank goodness! I did find a piece of balsa sitting in the bottom of engine comparment. It looks like it is torn of something, however I did not see anything wrong with the plane. Maybe it is scrap. I hope so. I like the engine box. The engine box has servo mounts for glow engine. For gas you use the servo mounts in the center of the fuselage. It looks like GP is in the Giant scale ARF business. I wonder how my CG is going to come out with a BME 44. Anyone have there engines mounted yet?

Chris
Old 10-01-2002, 08:34 PM
PlaneKrazee

qspilot,

Good to here all is well. They will surely replace your cowl if necessary, you call them.

I was going to put a gas ZDZ 50 in it but I think it would fly better overall a pound lighter with a OS 160 FX and a tuned muffler.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:17 PM
hattend

Default Re: Return and wait.

Originally posted by Skypilot_one
Return, receive credit for kit and return shipping, backorder and wait.
Or backorder, wait, receive plane, return defective unit, receive credit.

I see one is for sale (already) here in RCU. So you could return it for credit and buy that one (it's $385 IIRC)

Just a thought...the guy says he got the box and realized it's too much plane for him. That way you get your money back and you don't have to backorder.

Gere's the link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...5180&forumid=4

Donn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.