Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Alpha Prop Breakage Caused A Problem

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Alpha Prop Breakage Caused A Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 AM
T-Maxx_Predator
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha Prop Breakage Caused A Problem

The other day I was out flying my Hangar 9 Alpha 40 and got it landed fine but coming down the runway (from the far end) I hit a dip or hole and it nosed my plane over and pushed the prop into the ground. It broke a blade off of the 3-bladed prop and the vibrations caused some damage before I could shut it off. The biggest trouble I having fixing this is the prop. When I put on the new (or old; tried them both) prop and all the other stuff (according to the "prop intallation" sheet I have) and tighten the nut on the end, it locks everything up to where the crankshaft doesn't turn. The flywheel ([link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVO100219A]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVO100219A)[/link] is rubing against the crankcase and locking everything up. What could cause this? It looks like the olny thing that could have happened would be that the aluminum piece inside the steel flywheel (pic in link) could have been pushed in. Do you think that is the problem? Also, I noticed that the engine is not setting on the mounts straight. I never noticed this before. Is anyone familiar with how the engine is suppossed to set on the mounts in this particular plane? The engine is just hold in with a clamp type mount, rather than screws going through the case, so i though it could have shifted. Thanks a lot. I will call Horizon about it later today and see what they say about it.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alpha Prop Breakage Caused A Problem

3 bladed props are exspensive regardless of size and from what I have always seen, much less efficient. Get a 2 blade wont cost so much because your going to break more of them, its a routine part of the hobby
Old 04-11-2005, 08:02 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct, the motor should sit squarely in the mount. The bind is probably that you have misplaced a spacer washer that fits the prop shaft. You will know the motor is mounted correctly when the spinner backplate is an even distance between the front cheeks. Here is a link to the manual for the engine, you can use it to find the spacer and the 2 blade prop driver that you would need to use for a standard 2 blade prop. It won't work correctly without using this in place of the flywheel.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=EVOE100

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46263.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	256901  
Old 04-28-2005, 08:54 PM
bbellfly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would advise to replace the prop with another 3 blade prop.

The reason, I liked what I read about the Alpha, it comes with a trainer prop. A 3-blade fairly flat pitch wide blade prop made by Evolution.

The difference is amazing, much slower flight. The 3-blade trainer prop loads the engine and acts as an air brake. The first flight (with an instructor) we used a regular 2-blade prop. The next time I had installed the trainer prop, wanting to see if there was any difference. My instructor was amazed at the difference in the planes speed. It slows the plane down about half. And the approach speed was really helpful to learn how to land.

The trainer prop’s wide blades act as an air brake. At about 100 feet in altitude on approach, with the 2-blade, when you pull the throttle back it glides in nice but at a much higher speed. With the 3-blade prop at the same 100 feet, when you pull back on the throttle, the nose drops a great deal more, pull back on the elevator and it glides in at a much slower speed.

With the 3-blade Evolution trainer prop (12” slight pitch, 60 size) with idle set at 1500 to 1600 rpm’s, then change only the prop (to a 2-blade 12’ – 6 pitch) the rpm’s climbed to over 2400 rpm’s. Of coarse, you can slow the rpm’s by tuning the engine, but it doesn’t have the same effects of slowing the planes air speed.

I personally feel the trainer prop is a great advantage to a beginner pilot.