Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Something Extra - right thrust? >

Something Extra - right thrust?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Something Extra - right thrust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Extra - right thrust?

I am currently assembling my new SE ARF and would like to know if I should put in some right thrust, and if so, how would you recommend to do it? (OS46FX, 10X6 prop).
Old 12-30-2001, 07:18 PM

Default SE right thrust

The SE is a newer kit. As such, I would guess that the amount of angle needed is built in to the kit where the firewall mounts so any extra probably isn't needed. If I am wrong and you need to add right thrust yourself theres an easy solution. You will need 4 flat washers sized so that the engine mounting bolts can go through them. When you are facing the plane, the idea is to thread the 2 left side motor mount bolts in a few turns. Then put the other 2 bolts on the right side through the engine mount and put 2 flat washers onto each bolt between the firewall and the engine mount. Start threading the bolts in and go between the 4 bolts turning them in until they are all tight. That will probably give you all angle you will need. If not, of course its easy to add another washer. Hope this makes sense.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:41 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default Something Extra - right thrust?

Mine doesnt have any right thrust and it flies fine..
Old 01-04-2002, 05:45 PM

Default Right Thrust

Thanks Fastsky and wgeffon. I think I will test fly it to see if any right thrust is needed, and if so, I will add right thrust per Fastsky's advice which seems pretty easy. Thanks again! JohnS
Old 01-06-2002, 04:45 PM

Default right thrust

johns

build your sig arf as per the instruction book and you will have an excellent flying plane that will make a beginner luck like an expert.
i assembled the something extra on the advice of a friend and i didn't go wrong.
there is no need for right thrust on this model but if you intend to do knife edges, get as much rudder movement as you can.
balance the model as per instruction manuel also.

are you getting ready for the current rodeo season?
Old 01-06-2002, 10:23 PM

Default SE Right thrust

I found that about 2 degrees of right thrust made my amateurish attempts to hover look slightly less amateurish. It also made the use of right rudder on take-off less necessary.
Bob C.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:41 PM

Default Thrust

The correct thrust line right/left or up/down cannot be built into a kit. This angle will change with engine/propeller. Build the plane following the instructions and when you are done expirmenting to find the best prop then set up the plane for 3-D. First adjust the C.G. then adjust the thrust right/left. Then adjust the wing incidence. Adjust thrust up/down. Correct tip weight and finally elevator alignment. If you don't do it in order you may find that some things must be adjusted several times.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:40 PM

Default SE right thrust

Thanks to all. Good info for me to ponder, as the cold, grey days of winter slowly ebb toward spring, and the flying season. And for Flashingred, the rodeo won't open until May.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: SE right thrust

If you read the instruction manuel, you will notice that the instructions mentions not to use any right thrust. I flew mine with a Super Tigre 51 with a 12x4 APC prop. It was a great flying airplane, but I would not consider this a 3D plane. I thought it was more of a Fun Fly type plane. It was short on knife edge so I added about 3/4 inches to the rudder and used a Hi Tech 605MG servo. I really liked this plane.

Good luck with yours.

Flashingred
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM

Default RE: SE right thrust

I'll agree with the others in that I did not require any additional thrust adjustments using a Saito 72 turning a 3 blade prop.

Rube
Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 PM

Default RE: Something Extra - right thrust?

I just bought one and I am going to install an OS 46 is it ok?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Something Extra - right thrust?

ORIGINAL: harleyfrog2000

I just bought one and I am going to install an OS 46 is it ok?
Excellent choice.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson