Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Super Cub Strut problems

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Super Cub Strut problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Puddin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Super Cub Strut problems

The left wing strut attach plate that attaches to the landing gear broke in flight. The plate broke at the bend allowing the strut to hang down below the gear. On touchdown it caught the ground.broke one side of the strut and caused wing rib damage(no covering damage at all-amazing) and broke the glue joints on the strut plates in the wing. I have since attached 2/56 pushrods to the gear and inserted brass tubing into the strut. I slide the strut down over the pushrod then attach under the wing and the strut can then move as the landing gear flexes. If anyone has had similar problems or a better fix please let me know.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2019, 12:29 PM
heli-headcase
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And the hits just keep on coming...

Originally Posted by Puddin
The left wing strut attach plate that attaches to the landing gear broke in flight. The plate broke at the bend allowing the strut to hang down below the gear. On touchdown it caught the ground.broke one side of the strut and caused wing rib damage(no covering damage at all-amazing) and broke the glue joints on the strut plates in the wing. I have since attached 2/56 pushrods to the gear and inserted brass tubing into the strut. I slide the strut down over the pushrod then attach under the wing and the strut can then move as the landing gear flexes. If anyone has had similar problems or a better fix please let me know.

Thanks
...And fourteen years later, I recently purchased one of these Cubs from a friend, and he picked it up lightly used from the company in which he’s employed. I thoroughly went through the model, installed the supplied Zenoah G260 and last Monday, did the maiden. Flew it maybe eight times, fine tuning the controls, surfaces and engine a little better each flight. As I grew more comfortable and the Cub more predictable I started pushing its capabilities harder and harder. By the end of flight eight I was deep into exploring the Cub’s limits and after a landing and fuel level check (only a small amount of gas left) I took it back up. The climb was to the right and as I turned left to downwind I spotted something hanging from the right wing. Yup, it’s the strut. There was no sense in delaying the inevitable so I cut power and turned left to base then final and landed as slow and carefully as possible. The strut caught the grass and caused a “pole vaulting” effect under the right wing. The left wing was slammed into the ground and the Cub came to rest standing on its nose. Damage? The forward strut mount under the right wing was pulled hard and broke through the covering. The rear mount was punched up, into the wing. The attach tab at the LG-end of the strut had been pulled and pushed from my hard aerobatics and broke, not at the bend but at the edge of the mounting screw hole under the washer I added. I can now clearly see this was a design defect and was doomed to fail if the model was repeatedly pushed to its limits. If the strut had been designed to be more functional than decorative that lower tab would have been perfecty straight and had no bends. A slight different mounting method should have been employed by which a solid piece of angle material with a substantial base would have been bolted to the landing gear (or the side of the fuse) and allowed the strut tab to be a straight shot to the new base piece without requiring bending of the thin steel. Too late now to warn prospective buyers unless purchasing the Super Cub on the second-hand market. I really do love flying this ‘vintage’ classic and will make the needed repairs when time and a suitable source of reasonably-priced fabric covering is sourced. Besides Balsa USA and Aircraft Spruce, does anyone have any suggestions for iron-on fabric covering? THX for reading.