Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Matrix

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 09:02 PM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Matrix

I almost did the E-conversion myself. The only electric motor, of any real size, that I had was a Hacker C-50x12XL, which was way too big for this plane so I went to the Irvine 72.

Ken
Old 07-01-2005, 11:09 PM
flyingohio

Hobby Lobby is recommending the AXI 4120-18 on 5S2P. I'm going to wait until I get the plane before I decide anything on the E-conversion, but from all the pictures I've seen, there appears to be plenty of room for the batteries. (after the throttle servo mount is cut out)
Old 07-02-2005, 02:17 AM
dale691

After looking over it VERY well all appers fairly sound. The bell crank system is a bit of mucking around but the finished product is quite nice. I am replacing most of the hardware with heavy duty stuff, i'm doing everything i can to eliminate the posability of flutter. Sorry to hear about your UPS problem, i ha d a good experience with them, My Matrix was off loaded by the airline in LA and held in quarantine here in OZ and still made it too me on time and all intact. The only thing missing was the tail wheel and assembly was missing. No big deal.

Cheers Dale
Old 07-02-2005, 03:20 AM
jbogdano
My Feedback: (13)

I just got mine and noticed a couple things missing: 1) tail wheel and assembly 2) plywood reinforcing block on one side of the fuselage at the elevator bellcrank. Otherwise it looks like a great kit. I'll be putting in a brand new OS 46 sf abc-p (pumped) with some kind of big, low-pitch prop on it. I'm really looking forward to this plane and have enjoyed reading what you all wrote about it.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:24 AM
dale691

Jbogdano i was also missing the ply plate for the bell crank. how did your wing fit up?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:27 AM
jbogdano

Wing seems to fit well. I'll probably add the ply plate later. Did you?

Jeff
Old 07-02-2005, 03:35 AM
dale691

i have already put it in, otherwise your bell crank wont be secured to any hard wood on one side, i think if you attach it to the balsa you will find it will end up being sloppy

Dale
Old 07-02-2005, 06:38 PM
dale691

Ken was that piece of ply missing from yours, and was the tail wheel there?
Old 07-02-2005, 06:54 PM
kennyandannie

Yep, I just went out and checked, they're both there.

Ken
Old 07-02-2005, 08:21 PM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

I've been flying mine for about a week now and I am VERY happy with it. For reference, here's my setup:

Saito .82 swing an APC 14x5N
CG mounted tank w/ Cline Regulator
Futaba 3010 - Elevator pull/pull
Hitec 625MG - Rudder
Futaba 3004's - Aileron
Futaba 3003 - Throttle
5-cell 1650MAH rx pack

The plane balanced right at 6" from the LE without adding any weight. It came out much lighter than I had expected. I don't have an accurate scale, but it's appx. 5.25 - 5.5lb's. Overall, I absolutely love this plane. I consider myself an intermediate 3D pilot (jack of all trades, master of none) and this plane makes me look better than I am. It does everything in the book and looks good doing it, IMO. Today I learned a new trick; knife edge wall to hover. Very cool! Parachutes, both upright and inverted are great. It does mesmerizing blenders - inverted flat spins. Knife edge flight has very little coupling. It's also the easiest plane I own to hover (even easier than my Katana GS!). Like I said, I'm impressed! I was sold on the RCU review and was suprised to see a lot of negative comments about the model on the forums. When Tower dropped the price to $109 I couldn't resist (and I'm glad I didn't)! There's much debate about the pull/pull setup. Mine actually came out very well. I would HIGHLY recommend a high torque servo, though.

[8D]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59291.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	292957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50017.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	292958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69490.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	292959  
Old 07-06-2005, 05:36 AM
dale691

Hi all, my Matrix is starting to take shape. The bell crank system has turned out very nice, the only thing is that i have had to put a digital servo on it because the JR 539 didn't have the strength in the neuteral position. hence the elevator was centering properly after being deflected, but the new servo makes the whole system work very well.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:30 AM
DsWright

My replacement Matrix should be here today, hopefully it's not damaged as well....

think im going to use std servos for Ailerons and high tourqe for the elev/rudder.

Now i just gotta wait till my YS. 63 comes in off backorder, at LEAST 2 more weeks... from tower.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 AM
DsWright

got my replacement matrix yesterday, everything looks good but missing the tailwheel, goldberg sending me one. Wing fits good, everything is in great shape.

Just need my motor now.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 PM
A.L. Spinz
My Feedback: (1)

I just order mine last night from Tower, too good lookin' of a plane for the money. Also the reviewer at RCU puts this thing thru the wringer in the videos...something must be right about it. I also decided to go with a OS 70 Surpass II, which I'm concerned will be a little too much on the heavy side. But when I was looking at the pdf of the instruction manual, it appears that's what they were using. After I ordered I find this motor is at an obese 22.0 ounces with muffler.

Anyone got an opinion?

Also, just a word to the wise....do not use plastic clevises on your elevator control horns....what comes with the kit?

Plastic, I imagine?

Tre
Old 07-08-2005, 09:43 PM
dale691

Can somebody plaese give the correct measurement for the horizontal line for the engine mount. My manual quotes the measurement from the bottom of the fuselage to the line as being 3-9/6" this looks like a typo to me, what has everyone else done?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:43 AM
kennyandannie

Dale,

I just checked my new manual and it says the same as yours. I believe I used 3 9/16" on my first one and it worked well.

It sounds like you're almost there. You should be in the air any day now!

Ken
Old 07-09-2005, 02:59 PM
A.L. Spinz
My Feedback: (1)

Amazing...RC guys with no opinions to give, that's a first.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-09-2005, 03:35 PM
kennyandannie

Tre,

You want opinions!!! You got it!!! Just kiddin', I didn't see your post, at first. The OS 70 will fly this plane just right. My Irvine is close to the same weight, so balance isn't a problem, all servos in the stock locations and a 5 cell 1650 mAh pack for balance. I just move the pack around and wherever it balances I add a tray and put the battery there.

Good choice on the motor, don't skimp on the servos.

I don't have any problem using nylon clevises, just make sure they fit correctly and use a piece of fuel tubing to hold the sides together, no sweat. Used correctly, I have never had one fail, skip the fuel tubing trick and you're flirting with disaster.

Ken
Old 07-09-2005, 03:46 PM
AHPowelson

Tre,

With that engine, you will probably come out very nose heavy. I'm running a Saito .82 (~18oz w/ muffler) and the plane balanced right at 6" from the LE. My receiver pack is mounted right behind the fuel tank (on CG) and my receiver is in the nose. To avoid adding lead, you'll probably need to ditch the bellcrank and run to elevator servos in the tail. Or, mount the receiver pack in the tail. Your results may vary, though. Either way, definitely keep the plane as light as possible. I had a Lanier Razor (very similar to the Matrix) that was heavy from repairs and it was a terrible flyer. I love the Matrix, though! I'm extremely pleased with it. If I ever turf it, I'm definitely picking up another. The airframe is light and very stout. I've flown mine hard and haven't had a single problem with it. It does amazing snaps and parachutes and takes it like a champ.

IIRC, the supplied clevises were plastic except for the ailerons which are 440's. I replaced the plastic clevises with the metal Dubro ones with the clip.

Hope this helps!
Abram

Old 07-09-2005, 07:42 PM
kennyandannie

Abram,

My Irvine 72 with a pitts style muffler and Perry oscillating pump weighs in at 26 oz.. I had no difficulties in the balance using the battery. I did have to cut a hatch in the fuse just behind the wing saddle to mount the battery pack. If you want to go light, you could always use an OS-50SX, but if you like 4-strokes the Saito 72 or 82 are sweet motors. I could only give you stats on my configuration.
I also think the YS-63 would be a great motor for this plane, its all up to you and what you have available.

Ken
Old 07-09-2005, 10:16 PM
jbogdano

Ken,

What was your all up weight of the plane with that engine? I'm still trying to decide if my OS 46 ABC (pumped) engine will be enough for this plane. I'm sure I won't have the vertical that your .72 has but I just want to be able to torque roll without sliding backward. Thanks for all the info on this plane, you guys are great.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2005, 11:13 PM
AHPowelson

Ken - What prop are you using with your Irvine? How does it fly?

Jeff - What prop do you plan on using and do you know what RPM it turns it? If you build it light, a strong 46 with an APC 12.25x3.75 prop should hover/torque roll it.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:50 AM
kennyandannie

Abram,
I was using a 15x4W APC on mine but it was under-propped. On my second one, yep I turfed it, I will go to the 16x4W, if it will fit. This plane flies sweet, the turfing was completely my fault.

Jeff,
I don't remember the exact weight, but I was under 6 lbs. With that engine you should come in under 5.5 lbs. and hover will be at about 3/4 throttle. One guy at our field is flying one with the OS 46AX and the plane does all you could ask of it, except the vertical is limited to a couple of hundred feet.

Ken
Old 07-10-2005, 12:25 PM
jbogdano

Ken,

I'm going to use an 11 x 7 APC for break-in and from there I need to experiment to get the largest diameter prop that will turn around 11,500 RPM (this is what OS specifies as the optimum range for this engine on the ground). I don't have a tachometer but I expect this engine will turn an 13 x 4 or maybe even a 14 x 4 at this RPM, any thoughts? I used to run one of these engines on a Diamond Dust, but there I was running props in the range of 10 x 10 so I really don't know what this large diameter will do for it.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:10 PM
kennyandannie

I used the 12x4W on my 50SX's and it was a great combo. You might get away with the 13x4W but it might not allow the engine to spool up quick enough for 3D. When running a 2-stroke for 3D you need to get the rev's to get into your power curve, if you get into trouble you need those rev's right now!

I'll be going out of town tomorrow morning until Saturday, so if there is any more questions, I'm not ignoring you, I will answer when I get back.

Good luck to all and FLY 'EM HARD!!!!

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.