Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

Tips are indeed fiberglass, should get a set of these wing tip protectors.

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK201&P=[/link]

These will keep your wing tips from getting chewed up on those not so smooth take-offs/landings.

Shane

Yeah...

I consider these MANDATORY on all of my planes.

I've had instructors "try out" my PTS only to end up dragging the wings on asphalt. They cringe and apologize...

Then I show them the protectors... which is followed by a "good idea" comment.

I even put them on the bottom of SFG's.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Isn't that typical, usually someone else who bugers up your plane. Think it's cause they try to be too careful..

Shane
Old 09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
CVN-71

Was wondering what you guys though about the plane if I put a Magnum 80 4stroke on this sweet little plane? Would that be just TOO much engine for it?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Pit-Viper 1

You'll love it, I ran a Saito .72 on mine and it was great, was going to get the .82 for it but it never came to be. Had mine inverted and you just have to be careful on nose overs as it will hit the ground. Thought using a pump and moveing the motor as high as possible on the firewall would help take care of this but I didn't try it. Here is a pic with the .72 just prior to the retracts being installed and the other is why I didn't get to try some more stuff, over 100 flights though. lol Was a hell of a maiden though, first flight was after the retracts were installed and with the .72. Boy did she fly nice and look the part after that gear went up.

Can't wait to get my new one, nothing flies quite like a P-51..

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54439.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	530872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36734.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	530873  
Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 PM
lrtx1

Shane,
Next time try and find a bigger place to maiden. That garage seemed pretty cramped. Just joking. Sorry for the loss.

Layne
Old 09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Pit-Viper 1

LOL, actually my buddy accidently erased all the pics we took while we were editing the video of the crash. So the only pics of the crash are in the video. We also had pics of the PT60 he clipped a tree with while trying to land, lost them all.

Shane
Old 09-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Boosa

Hey guys, I'm a newbie and been thinking about getting the p51 mustang. This site looks like it is littered with knowledgeable pilots. With that said i have a couple of questions? Ive tought myself on how to fly lots of electric birds but now I think i'm ready for something a little bit more powerful. I really don't like the look of any a Cessna RTF. And another thing is that the P51 comes with everything, perfect. I cant see my self buying a 400 control then spending 350 on a plane.
Do you think this is a good buy for a beginner or should I purchase another type of plane first. If so what other planes do you guys recommend. How do i go about finding a good instructor.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:52 AM
ARMSJSTEV

THERE IS THE P51 PTS AND THE NEXSTAR RTF. BOTH ARE GOOD PLANES BECAUSE THEY HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO GET STARTED,BUT WITH THE MUSTANG AS YOU PROGRESS YOU CAN TAKE OFF THE SPEED BRAKES AND WING DROOPS AND ADD WORKING FLAPS. AND LATER ON IF YOU GET REAALY AMBITIOUS YOU CAN FURTHER MODIFY LIKE SOME OF THE OTHER GUYS DO. $400 IS A GOOD DEAL FOR THIS PLANE. I'VE HAD MINE SINCE APRIL AND THE SPEED BRAKES ARE GONE,I HAVE RETRACTABLE FLAPS,BUT I STILL HAVE THE WING DROOPS AND I PUT ON A GOOD SHOW FOR THE GUYS AT THE FIELD. BUT,LIKE EVERYBODY SAYS, "GET AN INSTRUCTOR." ELECTRICS ARE FUN,BUT GLOW FUEL IS A WHOLE OTHER DIMENSION. OH,YEAH. DON'T GET RID OF THE ELECTRICS JUST YET. AT MY FIELD AND THE FIELD MY BROTHER FLIES AT,EVERYBODY STILL FLIES THEIR ELECTRICS FIRST THING WHEN THE WIND IS CALM AND IT'S QUIET.SO YOU NEVER REALLY "OUTGROW" THEM. OH YEAH,ALSO IF YOU WANT TO GET FURTHER INTO THE HOBBY,YOU DON'T NEED TO SPEND $400 ON A TRANSMITTER. FUTABA AND TOWER HOBBIES HAS SOME GOOD 6 CHANNEL RADIOS FOR UNDER $200. FOR MOST PLANES A 6 CHNL IS ALL YOU NEED FOR THE THROTTLE,3 CONTROL SURFACES,FLAPS AND RETRACTS.AND MOST TRANSMITTERS COME WITH A RECEIVER,SERVOS,RECEIVER BATTERY,POWER SWITCH AND CHARGER. SO GET OUT THERE,HAVE SOME FUN AND WELCOME TO THE HOBBY.PREPARE TO BECOME ADDICTED.....
Old 09-30-2006, 08:58 AM
ARMSJSTEV

OH YEAH, YOUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP CAN TELL YOU WHERE THE FLYING CLUBS ARE AND WHERE TO GET HELP. CLUBS WILL WANT YOU TO BE AN AMA MEMBER.
[link]http://Academy of Model Aeronautics[/link]
Old 09-30-2006, 10:23 AM
baddog135

P-51 ARF
a few pics - Question : is there a specific flat clear coat that is fuel proof or are all of them fuel proof. Dont want to waste the time im putting into the detailing to have it all come off when cleaning the plane
pics to follow when i figure out how to post
Old 09-30-2006, 10:41 AM
baddog135

heres the pics

Name:	Vs55647.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	532756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13663.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	532757  
Old 09-30-2006, 12:48 PM
dannyrsturbo

hey guys has anyone got a p51 mustang pts dvd that comes with the plane as i live in the uk i sorely want one ide buy it if u wanted pls pls come back someone ;-[ [email protected]
Old 09-30-2006, 01:51 PM
1080tommy

Well, after about 110 flights and a hell of a beating I am putting the PTS up. Last time out flying I was a little too aggresive with some dives and vertical stuff and the elevator wire broke through one side of the elevator. The plane is still flyable however, I've been itching to get my Hangar 9 Corsair in the air. I have also built a Sig Somethin Extra and flown it 20 times. I really want to get the Corsair up and I have it all together now. This Sunday is the opening of Deer season in IL and tomorrow I'll be out hunting all day, but on Monday I will probably fly the Corsair. Oh yeah, I modified the PTS gear so it is right under the leading edge because I figured this would get me ready for the harder bird.

Tom
Old 09-30-2006, 02:19 PM
dannyrsturbo

hey tom have u got the disk... the dvd on thep51 pts? ide love to buy it from you we dont get ity in uk with model ;-(
Old 09-30-2006, 04:51 PM
omyc25

what up?.. Ive benn trying to start my engine by hand with a chicken stick. i charged the glow starter, the reciver and airplane battery but it wont start. im wondering if im doing something wrong. just in case can someone tell tell how to do it just in case im doing something wrong.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:54 PM
dannyrsturbo

yeah dude....put a finger over the carb hole..the big hole with petrol in it..an turn prop till petrol gos into carb then try startin..its all about gettin fuel into the moter then she'l fire up ;-) u shud see it suck through fuel pipe
Old 09-30-2006, 07:29 PM
stallwart

.....and be sure to leave the glow starter off until after priming the engine.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:12 PM
ARMSJSTEV

COULD BE YOUR MIXTURE IS TOO RICH, TOO. OR IF YOU TURN IT TOO MUCH AND IT DON'T FIRE IT COULD BE FLOODED. JUST TAKE THE GLOW PLUG OFF,SPIN THE ENGINE A FEW TIMES AND NOSE IT UP TO SEE IF ANY FUEL RUNS OUT THE MUFFLER. OR YOU COULD HAVE BURNED OUT YOUR GLOW PLUG. ALWAYS HAVE EXTRAS WITH YOU.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Pit-Viper 1

yeah if you are getting fuel to the carb then try leaning the top needle about 1/8 - 1/4 turn clockwise then try again. Start with the needle out about 2 full turns from closed, should be in the ballpark.

Shane
Old 10-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Jinxx
My Feedback: (2)

Ok, it took me 3 days to read through this whole thread [&:] but it has alot of good info. I plan to pick one of these up this week from my LHS and I plan to use either a Futaba 6EXAS or 7CAP radio. I am trying to decide if I should just buy the complete RTF kit and then sell the radio equipment or buy an ARF and an OS motor. I am getting back into the hobby after about 15yrs (had a 40 size trainer) and used OS and Futaba. I have always used Futaba and OS on my cars too. It sounds like the motor that comes with the plane is decent so my questions are:

1. Is an OS .46 LA motor any better than the Evo motor the kit comes with?
2. I want to use a 3 bladed prop because I like how it looks on the plane (I believe the suggestion was to use a Master Airscrew 10x7) so should I just buy a bigger motor like the OS .50 SX instead?
3. Will the flight sim that comes with the plane work with a Futaba radio? Some have said its not very good but I really just want to use it to "get the rust out" since it's been so long. I heard that there is a free sim called FMS...is it any better than the one that comes with this kit?
Old 10-01-2006, 03:15 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Jinxx

Ok, it took me 3 days to read through this whole thread [&:] but it has alot of good info. I plan to pick one of these up this week from my LHS and I plan to use either a Futaba 6EXAS or 7CAP radio. I am trying to decide if I should just buy the complete RTF kit and then sell the radio equipment or buy an ARF and an OS motor. I am getting back into the hobby after about 15yrs (had a 40 size trainer) and used OS and Futaba. I have always used Futaba and OS on my cars too. It sounds like the motor that comes with the plane is decent so my questions are:

1. Is an OS .46 LA motor any better than the Evo motor the kit comes with?
2. I want to use a 3 bladed prop because I like how it looks on the plane (I believe the suggestion was to use a Master Airscrew 10x7) so should I just buy a bigger motor like the OS .50 SX instead?
3. Will the flight sim that comes with the plane work with a Futaba radio? Some have said its not very good but I really just want to use it to "get the rust out" since it's been so long. I heard that there is a free sim called FMS...is it any better than the one that comes with this kit?
1. There is a BIG difference between the OS .46LA and say the OS .46AX engine.

The .46LA is really a trainer engine that is rated at 1.2 bHp output (real world results are of course less). The .46AX puts out about 1.7bHp.

The PTS .455 engine puts out about 1.6bHp so the OS .46AX is a better match for the plane.

The LA also has a "bleed" carb, which is of far lower quality than either the AX or the Evolution engine.

Both the AX or the Evolution engines run great, though the latter have the few caveats listed in this thread, about the limiters.

2. The .46 sized engines have the 11x6 prop as their "mid range". The 2 bladed 11x6 works great with this plane.

Since you are increasing the number of blades you drop one of these two figures... hence 10x6 or 11x5 on the three blade prop to obtain similiar performance.

3. Maybe, but is REALLY bad, so bad that you should not bother. FMS is a bit better.

Most good sims pay for themselves in parts savings over and over.

You should consider investing in a sim. While not mandatory, they can be very helpful.

Look at it this way, the 189.00 sim will save you 600.00 in crashed planes and parts while permitting you to practice on days with inclement weather and permitting you to hone moves and skills.

How much actual time did you put on the trainer?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Pit-Viper 1

Jinxx,

If your considering the OS.50 I would use it, that was one of the first motors I put in my first one. THen I purchased the Evo. .46. The OS was slightly better. Now Evo has the new .52NX and the numbers are slightly better than the OS .50.

As far as the sim goes, I had never flown a plan or used a sim and I used the one that comes with it for about 2 weeks before I flew and it help tremendously. It doesn't work real well on my comp anyway (too old). I think "getting the rust out" as you reffered is exactly what this sim does, you will not learn to do anything but basic flight though as it is very limited. But for getting the thumbs going in the right direction it works great.

I do have a 8 chnl Futuba w/ receiver in almost new condition, we bought to in a package deal and I use the other. The one I use is actually the one that was used most. Have to make sure it hasn't gone on ebay yet, buddy wants to sell it.

Shane

Name:	Om34309.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	533271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66818.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	533272   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27946.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	533273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31783.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	533274  
Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 PM
opjose

I believe that what he is trying to do is to guage whether or not to get the RTF versus the ARF.

One of his decision points is the included SIM in the RTF version.

(Although the included sim is so bad, I disagree that it is even useful for basic orientation especially since FMS does a better job for this...)

Since the RTF included sim is so bad, and a free alternative is available that does a better job, the included sim should not be part of the criteria he is using.

Like you, he may be better off with the ARF, and either a .46 engine or the .50+ as you have suggested, the latter would make it into a powerful plane.

The .46LA engine would not get this plane off the ground though... It's far too anemic.
I made the mistake of buying one, tried to use it in a Spacewalker II, and I'm now planning to install it into a .25-.32 airplane.

It is the equivalent of a .32 O.S. engine with an inferior carb. Ugh!

Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 PM
dannyrsturbo

WELL GUYS IM IN THE UK , AND WE DONT GET ENGINE AND PLANE NEARLY BUILT SO I PHONED SHOP AN THEY GOTA 46 ABC ENGINE ,,?? WILL IT DO THE JOB OR DO I NEED A BIGGER ENGINE
Old 10-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Pit-Viper 1

The .46 should work fine, the la's aren't bad either. but for this plane I wouldn't go .46 LA, more of a trainer motor as stated before. My buddy has one he flew in a PT 40 for 30+ gallons and eventually the plane was soaked with enough fuel that it went from a 6lb plane to close to 8lbs. Motor still runs great and has great comp.

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.