Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

DPM Ultimate 120: building/flying tips requested.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

DPM Ultimate 120: building/flying tips requested.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:48 PM
jorgeelizondom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPM Ultimate 120: building/flying tips requested.

This dave Patrick Models 120 Ultimate will be arriving this week and will have a new Saito 150 on the nose.

Any tips and suggestions on building, mods, setup and flying that you can throw at me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 08:14 AM
deputydog

Default RE: DPM Ultimate 120: building/flying tips requested.

I'm finally getting around to building mine(in the garage for 1 1/2 yrs). This plane is one of the better ARF's I've built. Everything has been built as per the instructions. The instructions do jump around abit so pay attention to them. I usually swap out hardware for better quality but with this kit there is no need(except the tail wheel.. the kit foam one is tooo soft!)
Old 08-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Hoghead385

I have been flying my new Ultimate about a month now. I installed a Saito 180 inverted with the stock muffler, great combination! I built mine per the instructions with the pull pull for rudder and elevator. A little frustrating to install but seem to be working fine, just be sure to check tension periodically. I did not use the kit tailwheel, I installed a DP tailwheel assembly (check DP webtsite). I also used an aftermarket composite main gear after seeing some comments about the kit gear being too springy in rough landings causing wing damage. This is my first biplane and first DP kit, I love flying it and highly recommend it!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 AM
jorgeelizondom

Hoghead,

Two follow-up Qustions:
Do you remember which aftermarket main gear you used ?
Do you have any problem with the engine instalation with regards to the proper centering of the cowl (as experienced by the guy that made the review that is posted in the DPM webpage)?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Hoghead385

I'll have to check my receipts as I don't remember off hand where I purchased the main gear. As far as the cowl centering, I had no problem with the engine installation location. I followed the manual and measured carefully. I also used the kit supplied engine mounts and have had no problems so far. The only other area I got frustrated over (but was no kit problem) was installing the cabane struts and their hold down attachments in the wings. It just takes some time to get things properly alligned and squared up. I hate to build, but really did not experience any real problems with this model. You will thoroughly enjoy this model with the 150. Take offs are straight with very little rudder input and it lands like a dream. I found that the low rates were plenty for me, it snaps like crazy on low rate and is outrageous on high rate!
Old 08-21-2005, 01:17 PM
jorgeelizondom

Any more tips/comments will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-23-2005, 09:41 PM
grind2tenths
My Feedback: (17)

I have been flying mine for about 2 years now and I am still messing with the mixing, for knife edge flight. The only thing hardware wise that I changed are the following: Replace the nylon control horns with stamped steel ones from Sullivan. Used 4-40 pushrods on the Alierons mounted a Hitec hs 81 servo in the tank area for the throttle. CG mounted the fuel tank to compliment the YS 120 AC with 16/8 Mej CF prop. JR 811's in the wings JR 8231 on the elevator. JR 4721 on the rudder. JR charge switch and 1650 mah 6 volt nmh battery pack. All up weight ended up at 12.2 pounds but it still climbs like a homesick angel. Also I made a couple other hardware changes. I replaced the nylon clevises with sullivan. And use Carl Goldberg nylon landing gear straps instead of the brass ones provided with the kit. This is without a doubt one of the best flying and best built arfs I have ever owned or flown. You will really enjoy this bird
Old 09-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Redneck Shaun

I also, have just finished mine. I have only flown it twice. I changed out most all of the hardware form the kit. I used Hs635's all but for the rudder. Which I used a 5945 digital. I used a OS 160 with a perry pump for the motor. I got tired of messing with the pull-pull elevator and moved the elevator servos to the back.
I have to tell ya.I have always wanted to try a bi-plane.And I wished I would have tried one along time ago if this is how they all fly.
I still have the CG set at the futher front most setting. I'll bring it back a little this weekend. It's a wonderful flying plane. "flys like it was on rails". I haven't tried to much with it yet. Maybe I'll get a little more braver this weekend .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95775.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	322017  
Old 09-11-2005, 07:32 PM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thinking about buying one, I have a Enya 1.55 4-stroke laying around. I really want a bi-plane and I cant decide between this one and the new Great Planes 160 size bi-plane. I think I would have to buy a bigger engine, possibly gas, if I go the Great Planes route.