Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aeroworks Edge 60/100 Assembly Probs

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pacific Aeroworks Edge 60/100 Assembly Probs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 10:39 PM
FlyI Bus Driver
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacific Aeroworks Edge 60/100 Assembly Probs

Greetings all,

I recently purchased an Edge 540T from pacaero. I'm fairly pleased with what I found in the box more or less. It's very well prefabricated and from what I've read here and elsewhere it will be a great flyer.

I do have at least one issue, however. It appears that the nylon mount that came with the a/c does not line up with the pre-drilled holes and blindnuts that are installed in the firewall. I have checked to make sure that I have aligned the mount up correctly (it's meant to be installed do the engine is mounted with cylinder towards a/c right) and if you install one screw into the mount/firewall, the other screw does not line up by just a hair, but it is enough to prevent it from screwing in. This is the case on both engine mount pieces. If you switch engine mount pieces, they are both off by the same amount.

Now, please have patience with me as the only a/c I have built (and I use that term very loosely with ARFs) is a Superstar, an UltraStick 60 and a World Models Zen 30. All went together without a hitch, so I have not dealt with this problem before. I am going to call pacaero on Monday to make sure the right mount was included in the kit (I don't know, it may be the mount for the .40 sized). If it is indeed the correct mount, how can I rectify the situation? Can I simply enlarge one hole in the mount just a tad to make it work? Should I get a new adjustable mount (though I wonder if the fidelity of the new mount would allow the holes to line up)? Do I need to work on the firewall itself?

Incidentally, I have uncovered a couple of other hiccups with the a/c. No hinges included for the rudder or elevator halves came with the plane. Reading the directions, it says to install the anti-rotation pins into the wing roots. My a/c came with them installed and they appear to glued in already. I gave them several good tugs and could not get them to budge, either. I want to make sure they are in correctly, but I do not want to damage them if they are already glued correctly. It seems as though the wings do attach to the fuse properly. Also, though this has been discussed before, the wheel pants are a b*tch to install and since I'll be flying off grass, I'll probably just leave them off.

Here's the setup if anyone is interested:

Saito 100 with a slimline muffler
JR9303 with an R770 receiver
Hitec 6635 servos for the ailerons, elevators, and rudder
JR 527 for the throttle (for now)
Sullivan tailwheel assembly

Thanx for any help and input!

FlyI

Bus Driver
Old 08-07-2005, 06:42 AM
SBR_RV

Default RE: Pacific Aeroworks Edge 60/100 Assembly Probs

hi, the engine mount you have received may be for the .40 size or another model made by PA, just a thought.
when i received mine, i was missing a couple of hinges for the ailerons. i found out that they had slid their way through the slots (dont know how) and into the aileron under the covering.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:09 AM
FlyI Bus Driver

ORIGINAL: SBR_RV

hi, the engine mount you have received may be for the .40 size or another model made by PA, just a thought

That's what I'm thinking, too. I'm going to call pacaero on Monday before I start any major surgery on the plane. Both pieces of the mount are misaligned by exactly the same distance, so I think it's most likely the wrong mount, not a manufacturing screw up on the firewall nuts.

As a side note, did you have any problems with the wheel collars? Only one of mine will actually tighten down. The other three screws on the collars will not. Easy and inexpensive fix from the hobby shop, but a little annoying nonetheless.

Bus Driver
Old 08-07-2005, 06:01 PM
nitromancer
My Feedback: (4)

I just got mine last week and maidened it Saturday. It is the best flying plane I have ever flown hands down. I too had the problem with the engine mounts being a tad off, I just drilled them a bit till they fit. The anti-rotation pins were installed in mine too when I got it, so I disregarded that step in the manual. I had to slightly enlarge the holes for the pins in the fuse so the left wing could go on. Mine had all the hardware but I think some of it was the wrong hardware like the pushrods all had to be cut shorter. I threw away the stock tailwheel and put on a Sullivan, threw out the stock fuel tank but that was because of a bonehead fowl up that I at first blamed on the tank and lines. Also the lines were not on the tank right(color wise) from the factory but I should have made certain before installing it. The aluminum collars worked fine for me so far, I used thread lock and I was careful with them.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:05 PM
FlyI Bus Driver

Nitro,

Thanx for the reply (I just read your thread in crash pictures about your maiden.. Congrats and I'm glad there are no pictures of a crash along with it!).

My fuel tank lines were in the wrong spot as well. No biggie. I will probably put another tank in there anyway as a have a couple 16oz tanks lying around. I'm going to call on Monday about the mount. Drilling it out is no biggie I guess, but I'm curious anyway.

Bus Driver
Old 08-19-2005, 02:00 PM
nitromancer
My Feedback: (4)

I got a box in the mail from Pacific today. It had an new set of engine mounts and a note with updated instructions explaining the seeming wrong hardware included in the kit and it said the factory mistakenly put in the wrong engine mounts.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:43 PM
FlyI Bus Driver

I had the same thing as well. The box is in the mail as we speak. Hopefully I'll get it soon. I can't wait to fly this girl.