Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger9 P51 COG

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger9 P51 COG

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:51 PM
hugebruce01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger9 P51 COG

I've seen several posts on the 60 P51 COG. Many stated that they need to add weight to the tail.

I used JR Servos (1.6 oz) and a Saito 100. The plane was VERY tail heavy. I could have replaced the rear servos with lighter ones... but the next lighter JR units were only .05 oz lighter... even the lightest Hitec are only about .2 oz lighter.

Anyway I:

Moved the engine way forward of the recommended position (actually as far as the engine mount would allow).

Moved the batt pack to the very front of the fire wall - in FRONT of the tank...(it's a 6V pack).

Moved the receiver several inches in front of where the destructions suggested.

Added the heaviest TruTurn spinner I could find.

Now the plane balances out right at 4 3/4 inches.

I'm measuring right up against the fuse.

Note that I flew the plane prior to making the above modifications. I INCORRECTLY measured the COG several inches away from the fuse. Due to the wing flare right up against the fuse ... it makes a HUGE difference. When I incorrectly checked the COG - it looked fine.. but on the maiden flight I nearly lost the plane - I had to max out the elevator trim to keep the tail up, and landing was a *****.

This is only my 4th ARF, most of my other planes have straight wings, so it doesn't matter where you measure the COG. The Hanger9 manual is actually very good.... no Chinglish at all... just an oversight on my part.

Make sure you measure right up agains the fuse.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hanger9 P51 COG

Balance the plane at 4 1/2" and she will fly and land great. That's where my CG is.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:56 PM
pcm1024

I agree with richard 4.5 and mine is awsome
Old 11-15-2005, 11:34 AM
konatiki

I made changes to mine to get the CG at 4 1/2 as you all stated. I moved my on board glow driver up about 2 inches and that did the trick. Thanks for the info guys.