Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Carl Goldberg Yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Carl Goldberg Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:16 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Carl Goldberg Yak 54

I saw a picture/description of a new Yak54 the other day on the Goldberg website under new items, and it says its due in October. Looks like a good candidtae for one of those new Evolution gas engines ( at least for me! )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89698.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	325554  
Old 09-18-2005, 10:31 AM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: New Carl Goldberg Yak 54

This will probably be my next plane. A gasser has to go in there.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Calflyer

Ive always had a great experience with Goldberg products. This looks like a winner!
Old 09-25-2005, 10:23 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

Has anyone seen info on the 77" Extra that has been out for a while? This plane should be real similar.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 PM
ttski
My Feedback: (5)

I checked out both the Yak and the Extra on the CG web site. Anyone notice the differences in the engine specs? Both planes have the same wingspan and weight. Just seemed odd.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:43 PM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeap I saw that, I guess the yak is beef up to be more agresive.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I need a new cowl for my 77" Goldberg YAK 54. HELP!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 PM
mobyal

Tower/Great Planes bought out carl Goldberg Models about a year ago, so I'd try there. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Great Planes and Goldberg have both dropped the ball concerning past loyal customers and offer nothing for support or replacement parts for the Goldberg 77"YAK 54. Not TOWER'S fault but screw GP and GB. Damn shame! I would still like to hear from someone that has a cowl. There has to be a few out there somewhere..someplace..sometime..in another galaxy far..far..away! SG
Old 08-11-2008, 04:47 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

Not TOWER'S fault but screw GP and GB.
Was that a general observation, or just in regards to your specific problem?

Here's a clue... they're all the same company.

Welcome to the world of dis-continued ARFs. They buy these things in batches from the far east. They may, or may not, have some "spare parts" items along with the kits. In any event, once an item has been dropped from active production, and all stock is sold, that's the ball game. Horizon does the same thing. Life is unfair sometimes.

If you're willing to invest some effort, I have no doubt that Fiberglass Specialties or one of the other after-market cowl/wheel pant makers has something that is close and can be made to work. But unless you enjoy that sort of thing (and have the skills and tools to do it), you'll probably be better off just buying another Yak of some sort. Plenty of them out there...

Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Well that makes a lot of sense. Buy a whole new plane because I am in need of a cowl. I can make my own cowl but thought it would be easier to ask if someone had one to sell first. I am lucky to have started in modeling way before the ARF's came along and actually learned the art of building from scratch. Making forms,plugs, and even my own vacuform machine for canopies. From what I have seen of the current "ARF market wars" concerning airframe quality I am inclined to go back to scratch building. I do appreciate your comments about how the modeling manufacturing industry has incorporated the "here today,gone tomorrow" philosophy. You are so correct! We are all guilty of buying ARF's due to the conveinience of not having to build but many ARF's have to be rebuilt anyways to be airworthy and rugged enough to be everyday flyers and to last more than a season of flying. My Goldberg Yak is going on 3 seasons and has held up suprisingly well but the cowl is developing stress cracks from vibration. If I were to buy a suitable cowl from an aftermarket F/G supplier it would actually take the same or less time to make my own after all the cutting and fitting to make it right. I guess I will make a plug up and lay up some F/G in the next few weeks or possibly hold off for a winter project. I suppose my comment towards GP and GB is a bit harsh since I know first hand how hard it is to stay competitive and still maintain profitability in today's world marketplace. Goldberg did maintain a high standard with their line if ARF's. You know all of this "I need it today" mentality started with iron-on coverings and superglue!!! That's right! I am an old "silk and dope" man that is alive and well in the 21st century. Till then I am still in the market for a cowl. Anybody????
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Well, going by your multiple posts about this on every CG Yak thread, I had you pegged for a non-building ARF'er with a short attention span.

Sorry about that. Good luck with your search. But don't hold your breath...

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I have a good memory span MR. STEVE CAMPBELL! LMAO!!! "A cowl, A cowl! My kingdom for a cowl!!!"
Old 08-11-2008, 08:12 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

Have you actually called GP product support? One of the guys in our club got the LHS to call GP and they were able to get him a new canopy and cowl for the Lanier yak which is also owned by GP and discontinued. Apperently they have a stock of parts in product support to handle shipping damage, but you have to contact them directly, or get your LHS to do it for you.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

YES! Had LHS call GP. GP said they did not have cowls for this specific model. Even gave them the exact Goldberg part number. Did your friend call recently? Was his YAK the 77" or smaller 67"? I will try again tomorrow. Maybe something has changed or you need to get lucky and get someone on the other end of the line that is knowledgeable. I will email GP also. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Well here is the final word on getting a replacement cowl for my 77" Goldberg YAK 54. I talked directly to Mary Ann at Great Planes today. There is absolutely no replacement cowls available for this model. Finito! Speedy