Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
maddieone
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

My condolences. Excellent information looks really good.

mgrande11,

If it is the stock gear, when the gear is retracted you will see a small set screw on the top of the swing arm. To reduce wobble you turn the screw out a little. Extend the gear and if you still have wobble, retract the gear and turn the screw some more. Repeat until wobble goes away. Be careful to not turn the screw too far, do a little at a time, as that could cause the gear to not function properly.

Curt
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 PM
mgrande11

Thanks curt I hope that works cause this thing sure is wobbly, I was planning on getting a set of vq oleos but their out of stock I thought that would help to stiffen them but first I will try the adjustment
Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The test flight went somewhat ok. Had failsafe kick in and decided that it was time to put it down. I have switched to Spektrum on my 10sxII and have to get use to this. I find myself having to "reboot" the reciever by cycling power on the plane to get it to lock on.

The flight itself was good, engine running rich and need to adjust and account for cowling, retracts didnt fully retract and got hungup on the inner gear door, might have to cut bigger hole for ALL of cylinder head to allow for more cooling. CG seems like its to nose heavy once power is reduced, like the space shuttle coming back home!!!!! CG is set at 4.5 empty!!! The engine mounted further forward really kept from having to add weight and ill get a final dry weight tomorrow.

Is anyone using the gear sequencer on thier retractsfor any of the doors??? Jomar is mine and the default power off "storage" position stills activates the retract valve before the specktrum locks on to transmitter signal.

Did do the prettiest SCALE ground loop and will post that vid this week. My wife is still getting use to the camera and following a plane in flight. More later this week before Mint Julep Scale meet next weekend

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87448.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1195837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60144.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1195838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66668.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1195839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57142.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1195840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61317.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1195841  
Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Ichy

I can't believe that is the same plane I have! You did an awesome job. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-11-2009, 07:53 AM
leedees

ORIGINAL: Birman

Curt, I'm sorry for the delay. Had a death in the family and was out of town.

Here are pictures I took during assembly. Picture 1 is removing the wheel well carefully with a thin metal putty knife. Cleaned off the adhesive with alcohol. Picture shows the Robart equipment I used. Picture 3 is the LADO gear in place. It screws right in. Picture 4 is the retrace with the wheel. Picture 5 is the gear retracted and picture 6 is the gear up.

You'll have to use a piece of 3/16 wire between the strut and the LADO gear in order to get the correct height. Hope this helps.

Birman
Birman,

Great post. Thanks for the very useful info and pics.

Lee
Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
mgrande11

Thanks curt your tip worked like a charm. I was adjusting the travel adjust on the dx6i for the retract and I noticed it has no effect unless I adjust so far that it actually retracts the gear, I have not heard any buzzing in the retract servo so I guess it's travel is correct does anyone have advice for this noob.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:07 PM
sam@ata

Hey dirtorpedo
"
I was having overheating problems with my .91fx.. (probably due to the pitts muffler) a switch to 10% nitro and a Perry pump seem to have solved this issue… however, I’m still going to modify the cowl with some cooling slits that I saw on a Giant Scale Pitts. They should work and not be very noticeable as I’ve done my best not to have a bunch of junk sticking out of the cowl!

"

Would you have any pictures of the cooling slits or what you did to your cowl for cooling. I flew this evening and had the Magnum overheat which led to deadstick and then a broken gear mount. Magnum 91 XLS two stroke with pitts muff and mounted on side. Did you add a baffle????
Thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 AM
maddieone

Mgrande11,

You don't get to "travel adjust" on any of the radios. The servo being what it is does 180's to actuate the gear. Make sure that the gear wires are not contacting each other when the gear is retracted. I had binding and I cut mine off just past the connector. Any adjustments have to be made by moving in or out on the control arm.

Curt
Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 PM
mgrande11

Curt,

The gear wires are touching but the servo isn't buzzing so does the mean that I'm still good or do I have a problem. The retracts go full up and down without binding or anything.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 PM
maddog 71

We had a guy bring one down to our club and fly . He had a Zenoha G-20 in it . It really hauled it self around with plenty of authority and its very stable I was impressed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12491.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1197069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36192.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1197070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96921.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1197071  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 AM
maddieone

Mgrande11,

When I installed mine I noticed that when the wires were touching the servo did not buzz but I could feel some movement when I grabbed the servo. That is what led me to cutting the wires so that they cannot touch. Apparently retract servos don't buzz when they stall.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:24 PM
sam@ata

I have bought a Perry oscillating pump and will enlarge the opening over the cylinder head to help with cooling. I should not have flown it with the high end not making power but
i am going to fly at half to three quarters anyway. Takeoffs will be at about half to two thirds also. The dead stick landing fell a foot and a half from the field grass and i had the gear down and the high grass caught it and flipped it over. Result was the left gear mount broke, or should i say delaminated, for the only damage. Easily fixed with maple engine mount maple and then i will focus on the overheating problem by adding a baffle up front, add the Perry pump and then enlarge the cowl opening.

For those who might be interested, all up dry weight is 9lbs 15 oz. and NO, NO weight added to the nose by placing the engine a full 1 1/8" forward of the firewall. For the initial two flights i used no elevator trim either and balanced at 4 5/8" back.

When the plane gets the bugs worked out i am considering a set of LADO for it.

Off to fix the gear mount to remove the "chinaply" and add maple mounts.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Birman

Sam,
If you are serious about LADO gear, you might want to get them on order now. It will take about 6 to 8 weeks to get the gear after you place your order.

Larry
Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 PM
show871

Hey what type of paint are you using to paint the dummy engine, and wheel cups? Will testors enamel work since it might see a little nitro once and awhile? Thanks 871
Old 05-15-2009, 11:48 AM
maddieone

Hey JUG Team,

Well I finally finished assembling my JUG. I have an OS 91 FS as power. I mounted the servos in the tail and had to add eleven ounces at the fire wall to get her to balance. All up dry weight is nine pounds, one ounce, so I am one ounce over max. Don't feel that it will hurt the running of it any. Only mods that I did was to place the 1500 MAH battery under the fuel tank next to the firewall and put spacers at the rear of the retract flange. And yes she shakes like a belly dancer when she is sitting at rest. I will not get a chance to fly for a few weeks, company business. Will let you all know how I make out.

Curt
Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 PM
leedees

ORIGINAL: maddieone

Hey JUG Team,

Well I finally finished assembling my JUG. I have an OS 91 FS as power. I mounted the servos in the tail and had to add eleven ounces at the fire wall to get her to balance. All up dry weight is nine pounds, one ounce, so I am one ounce over max. Don't feel that it will hurt the running of it any. Only mods that I did was to place the 1500 MAH battery under the fuel tank next to the firewall and put spacers at the rear of the retract flange. And yes she shakes like a belly dancer when she is sitting at rest. I will not get a chance to fly for a few weeks, company business. Will let you all know how I make out.

Curt
She's going to fly fine at 9 pounds. Mine tops 10 and does great.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:10 PM
maddieone

leedees,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will sleep better tonight.

BTW, how is your gear holding up?

Curt
Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 AM
leedees

ORIGINAL: maddieone

leedees, Thanks for the encouragement. I will sleep better tonight. BTW, how is your gear holding up? Curt
The gear is not good. Isuppose it is functional enough but ugly and wiggly as often mentioned. It has also bent back a couple degrees making the plane tip forward easily during taxi. (grass field) I haven't spent time sorting it out, been working on other plane projects. I intend to get Lado retracts and Robart gear, then Ithink this plane will be one of my favorites.

There's only two things needed to make an airplane fly great, airspeed and money.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 AM
sam@ata

Plane is a total loss due to intermittent radio signal loss of the Spektrum Module.  I tried rebinding, antenna angle, rerouting servo leads, everthing and then had the first flight on sunday morning, round 3, and got 85 for the flight.  Thought this problem is fixed and i could concetrate on flying.  Round 4 came and takeoff, derry turn and then lining up for third and....failsafe again???? low throttle and winds 15-20 it dipped down and it never recovered. 

I will build another and fly next year again at the Mint Julep.  I recieved alot of good comments and people took lots of pictures. 

well, time to plan and start another build/bash.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
sbrackets

Hello Sam
Sorry to hear about your P-47. Man I know that hurts. It's not so bad if it happens after about the 100 flight, At leased after that many flights you kind of expect something to fail soon.
Well,I too am getting ready to put mine in the air soon, maybe tomorrow if the weather holds. I'll get video of the maiden flight and post it here on the forum forall to see.

Yeah! the best thing to do is not lookback and start another plane and fix those radio issues.

Regards, Jim S.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 PM
sam@ata

yes i have taken action on the radios. I fly with JR 10SXII, plane and heli and bought the 2.4 modules for both. I installed the module with the confidance that i have come to expect with JR not knowing that issues as such had happen to others. I sent both radios to JR with the express goal of them finding the root cause to the crash and to ensure the other module and heli radio are checked out. I will post here on the results from Danny and the JR service team. Till then im grounded for the summer and all this nice weather passing me by.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:15 AM
mgrande11

I got a question,  my cowl came loose in flight and started rubbing the prop a both it and the prop are chewed up,  I replaced the prop but when I get another cowl, how will I know exactly where to drill the holes on the cowl to line with the old holes in the fuse?  Or should I fill in the holes with expoxy and redrill the new cowl and fuse together,  I know it's a dumb question but I don't want to ruin a new cowl and at $30+ they are not cheap. I almost want to use the old one as a mold and make them myself.  Also,  how are you guys screwing on the cowl? cause the vibrations made the screws elongate the holes in the fiberglass.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:30 AM
sbrackets

Yes, I woodepoxy the mounting holes with small pieces of wood. I used tooth pick to fill in the holes in my AT-6 texan cowl mount, same thing just a different plane. Then go back and drill "NEW" holes.
As for the vibration issues, I always use some sort of rubber washer between the cowl and the screw head. This serves as a soft contact to the cowl and it also helps the vibration issues.
You can find rubber "O" rings atyour localhobbyshop, If youcant find them on the Airplane side, then look in the RC car parts dept. or ask the sale person there for them.
I don't have the same problems that your having, so maybe this will help you.

Regards, Jim
Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 AM
mgrande11

I've got a saito 100 and that thing really shakes alot at idle even the firewall to motor mount screws came loose.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

mgrande11,

try these out out, they are adjustable and the rubber should take care of most of the vibration. I will be replacing the mounting blocks with these when I get my motor back. After removing the blocks it will be just like mounting the cowl for thefirst time.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWDH1&P=7

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.