Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

In a word....insane
Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too own and fly the Giant Big Stik and I too am very pleased with it over all.

If Tower Hobbies is interested in making even more money, they should develop and market a Giga Stik. Make the model for a 55cc engine for sport flying, and larger engines for more spirited flying. Yes, it should be an ARF.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 PM
NM2K

I'm not saying that a G38 is a bad choice, but it would be pretty close to the bottom of my list of choices. Why? Because it is really big and heavy. They run great and handle great. You could do worse, but your G26 would be a much better choice.

If you have the money for a new engine, the DLE 20cc engine will fit in the stock nylon mount, which also lets you use a nose gear. It is at least as strong as a stock G26, which will hover Dick Pettit's GBS, so how much more power do you need? That would suit me perfectly and I enjoy hotrodding a bit.

In your position, what would I do? I would settle for using the G26 that I had and I would learn how to fly with conventional landing gear. Seriously, once you get some good instruction using conventional landing gear, you won't want to go back to tricycle landing gear again. Anyway, good luck in making your choices and let us know how it all works out, with some pictures.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys i have been flying a gp giant stick on electric all summer it is awsome unlimeted power i have a 160 brushless outruner on 10 cell 5000mah lipo good for 10min. time 18x10 apc prop 12lb weight
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 PM
NM2K

I like electric power, but in smaller models.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 AM
go vertical

I used the stick as an expermintel for larger electric setups i like most people only had smaller E powered planes but now i am looking for my next conversion in larger size
Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 AM
NM2K

How much would a flight battery cost at today's prices?

Ed Cregger
Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 AM
RACJ

Been flying my Giant Big Stick since Febuary. Power 160 10S5000 20x10 APCe. Timer on 12 min. only about 3300mah put back in after flight. Straight up rolling vertical as far as I can see. All my giant scale going electric. Just did 22lb. Corsair. Sold all my glow and gas engines. Ain't never lookin' back. RACJ
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 AM
go vertical

nm2k i have been dealing with HOBBIE PARTZ a 5000 mah 5cell is around 30.00 i run 2 packs in series
Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: go vertical

nm2k i have been dealing with HOBBIE PARTZ a 5000 mah 5cell is around 30.00 i run 2 packs in series

Roger.

Having "retired" a while back and now living on fixed income, my shopping days are not what they used to be.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

I was just thinking of this very combo. I would like to support an American engine/motor company. How do you like the Syssa by now? Thanks Brian
ORIGINAL: panhndl

I have a stik with a Syssa 30 on it. I only had to add about 3 or so ounces in front. I have the ignition, ibec, and fuel tank up front with the battery just behind the tank. The plane has unlimited verticle. I have my tx set uo on a 15 min timer and always have a lot of fuel left.

I honestly can't imagine this plane with a 55 in it.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:33 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Good to see this thread alive .I have one of these with a 50cc twin with canisters.Its quiet and powerful.Lots of fun with flaps too
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: mighty9

Good to see this thread alive .I have one of these with a 50cc twin with canisters.Its quiet and powerful.Lots of fun with flaps too

Now there is a good idea. I have an ancient Tartan Twin ignition/gas engine that would probably provide adequate power for this old man's flying style. I am a bit concerned about the weight though...

Ed Cregger
Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

I havent checked the weight of mine but the batteries are under the wing to the rear and its balanced fine.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: go vertical

Roger.

Having "retired" a while back and now living on fixed income, my shopping days are not what they used to be.

Ed Cregger
I can relate to that!!!!! Capt,n
Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Tower has them back in stock. I went online and ordered one and they are now $299.99 plus $80 oversize box shipping. The last one I bought was $239 and free shipping. I may have to re-think this. Brian

Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying that a G38 is a bad choice, but it would be pretty close to the bottom of my list of choices. Why? Because it is really big and heavy. They run great and handle great. You could do worse, but your G26 would be a much better choice.

If you have the money for a new engine, the DLE 20cc engine will fit in the stock nylon mount, which also lets you use a nose gear. It is at least as strong as a stock G26, which will hover Dick Pettit's GBS, so how much more power do you need? That would suit me perfectly and I enjoy hotrodding a bit.

In your position, what would I do? I would settle for using the G26 that I had and I would learn how to fly with conventional landing gear. Seriously, once you get some good instruction using conventional landing gear, you won't want to go back to tricycle landing gear again. Anyway, good luck in making your choices and let us know how it all works out, with some pictures.

Ed Cregger
Ed,

I just want to be sure that I understand your comment about using the G26. Are you saying that the G26ei would be a good selection to power the GBS to do typical sport flying such as big loops, immelmens, good climb power, that sort of thing as compared to what some describe as scale speed flying. I don't doubt you, I just want to be sure I understand. Thanks.

Howard
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Howard

Ed Cregger
Ed,

I just want to be sure that I understand your comment about using the G26. Are you saying that the G26ei would be a good selection to power the GBS to do typical sport flying such as big loops, immelmens, good climb power, that sort of thing as compared to what some describe as scale speed flying. I don't doubt you, I just want to be sure I understand. Thanks.

Howard

If you already have the G-38 and not the G-26, then by all means use the G-38. It will power your model well. I just like to bolt the engine on and go. I'm not sure that you'll be able to do that with the G-38 because of its weight. If you don't mind using rear mounted servos and building a battery box behind the trailing edge of the wing in the fuselage, the G-38 might be an excellent choice.

For scale-like flying, I'm sure that a G-26 would be enough, but you stipulated that you want something more than that, which I didn't catch the first time that I read your post.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
JoeMamma

Is it too late to join your 6 year old Stik party ?

The big brown truck just pulled up the driveway.

Wud-do-ya know...............buried in that truck was a shiny new OS 33GT and a big ol' Big Stik !

Joe M.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

Is it too late to join your 6 year old Stik party ?

The big brown truck just pulled up the driveway.

Wud-do-ya know...............buried in that truck was a shiny new OS 33GT and a big ol' Big Stik !

Joe M.

Good for you, Joe.

My Giant Big Stik is still in the box, but the cataract operations will happen after the first of the year and then look out flying field!.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
JoeMamma

Good for you, Joe.

My Giant Big Stik is still in the box, but the cataract operations will happen after the first of the year and then look out flying field!.

Ed Cregger

Yeah, I hear Ya. I thought these were supposed to be the Golden Years ?[X(][X(]

Nope, no cataracts.............yet. But how about high cholesterall, high blood pressure, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis...........I think I covered them all.[:'(][:'(]

Joe M.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

Joe, you will like the Stick. Great airplane for breaking in new engines too. Curious to know how you like the new OS33.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 PM
go vertical

os 33 heard some good some not so good???
Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

No, I have not heard anything negative about the engine.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

Good for you, Joe.

Ed Cregger

Yeah, I hear Ya. I thought these were supposed to be the Golden Years ?[X(][X(]

Nope, no cataracts.............yet. But how about high cholesterall, high blood pressure, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis...........I think I covered them all.[:'(][:'(]

Joe M.

It doesn't take much to keep one from flying, I have been taught. This comes from a guy that used to fly two times a day for a while. Not two flights a day. But two complete three or four flight pattern practice sessions. I had a cooperative boss and a very supportive wife.

I still have the very supportive wife, lucky me.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.