Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

Cool, I love the sound of it. Very unique sound.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 PM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait to see some video of that flying, sounds great. A trade off for gas that is positive=no mess, a trade off for gas that is negative=the sound. How did you fix the car/fuel tank level issue?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 AM
Heli-NuBee

Hey J301, I solved the fuel tank issue by mounting the engine higher on the plane and mounting the tank upside down in the plane. That made the fuel tank outlets on the same level as the carb center lines. The instructions for the GP Stik indicate it is OK to mount the engine on a higher thrust line.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Heli-NuBee

I went through the tuning procedure again this morning on the Laser 300-V engine with good success. I don't know what the difference was but the engine tuned right in today. I now have run a little more than 1/2 gallon through the engine. Everything looks great now, it runs very smooth, idles well and has great torque and power. It also seems to run consistently at full throttle now. I think I am now ready for the maiden flight, probably this coming weekend if weather permits.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM
j301

Good luck and let us know how it goes, and if you get any video...
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone mentioned that they wonder why some of are going to fly Zenoah engines. Mainly because I already own them and they run reliably, last a long time and start easily. Why worry about the weight when most of we gas fliers tend to fly models that require nose weight to get them to balance anyway?

I do have more modern engines than my Zenoahs. I have a few DL/DLE and Turnigy engines in the 50 to 55cc range. They are light and powerful.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM
j301

The only time I could imagine someone not wanting a zenoah is for 3d, other then that they seem to have proven themselves. Their pricing is starting to outpace itself in the market I would say though, given they aren't the only kid on the block any more. $300 for a 20cc is looking like a lot now with whats on the market.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:15 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

A DA-60 is about 1/2 the weight and swings a 2 inch bigger prop than a G62, has a rear mounted carb, has bearings that support the prop (as opposed to the cantilevered snout on the G62).  A Zenoah is an industrial engine with unused bosses that has been kludged to be usable for planes.  In fact, the G80 is about the same thrust as a DA-60.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:21 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i got my senoah 20cc on amazon for 200.00 brand new very good engine>> i have 3 of them all hand start>> i tried a 15 cc from hobby king froze up on the 3rd flip took me 6 months toget a replacement no more from hobby king for me
Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

i got my senoah 20cc on amazon for 200.00 brand new very good engine>> i have 3 of them all hand start>> i tried a 15 cc from hobby king froze up on the 3rd flip took me 6 months toget a replacement no more from hobby king for me

Buying house brand engines from Hobby K*^g is about like buying glow engines from some American engine manufacturers several decades ago. If you wanted to be sure that you would get one to fly when the UPS box arrived, you had to buy two or three of them, all of different sizes and models just so you didn't get all bad ones. Yet we did, because when they were finally running right, few others could touch them.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 AM
j301

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

A DA-60 is about 1/2 the weight and swings a 2 inch bigger prop than a G62, has a rear mounted carb, has bearings that support the prop (as opposed to the cantilevered snout on the G62). A Zenoah is an industrial engine with unused bosses that has been kludged to be usable for planes. In fact, the G80 is about the same thrust as a DA-60.
This is all true, but the original point was that scale planes need nose weight, and in this case, the zenoah is a good fit. Yes a DA is better and lighter, and more expensive and overkill on a plane you are going to paint like its just been through three years of battle. Warbirds can be dicey enough, why not put in an engine, despite any kludging, that you know will run, and run, and run....
As for the cheep knock offs, Im trying it now. To me, its kind of a sport in itself, like engine lotto. Part of the fun is making these things run better, and if you cant, you haven't lost much. Like this TGY 52 in the stick I just built, I have other gassers, but wanted to see what this motor is about. Having to re-tap the hull sensor mount to re-time it was part of the fun, a thing to "tinker with." If it turns out to be a lemon in the end, it was a $160 experiment, if it runs decent, its a $160 "jewl". Ive known guys that have had to send their DA's back more then once, how cheesed off would you be at a $600 investment that didn't work? Which would I go for in a big Aeroworks or other high dollar bird? The DA of course, but in a stick? You could almost hand toss and land this one, why not play?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 AM
j301

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

BTW, just put a g20 in a 60 size yak, waiting for the maiden!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Heli-NuBee

I had my maiden and two subsequent flights on the Stik today. The plane flies great but the Laser 300-V engine is not as powerful as I had imagined. I would say it has plenty of power but it is not a hot rod with unlimited vertical. At this point, I would rate it as about the same as a strong 30 cc gas engine. Keep in mind the engine is new and may gain more power as it breaks in. The first and third flights were great but we had a challenging second flight as the engine lost a cylinder on take-off and the plane was very underpowered. We managed to safely land the plane under those conditions but we do not have a clue why we lost a cylinder. We bench ran the engine after that second flight and it ran great so we flew it on the third flight where it also ran great. Go figure! We had one of the guys try to shoot some video but it did not come out. I just can't seem to find anyone in our club who can shoot decent video.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the redial rabbit)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63203.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1891985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32172.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1891986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79539.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1891987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66813.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1891988  
Old 06-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Heli-NuBee

I had a couple of great flights today with my Laser 300-V engine powered GP Giant Stik. I am still doing some fine tuning on the engine but it is running great and just a tad rich right now.

Name:	Rp44701.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1893663  
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Super08

If you can try and get a video of a fly by. I would love to hear that V twin in the air.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 PM
j301

ORIGINAL: Super08

If you can try and get a video of a fly by. I would love to hear that V twin in the air.
I second that!

Roger, I seen a video where a guy mounted one of these in a round cowl warbird but not inverted, glow plugs up. Would this install negate the tank issues and do you think it would hinder the performance?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Heli-NuBee

Hey j301, I don't think it makes any differance in performance if the engine is mounted upright or inverted. The main thing is to get the fuel tank mounted so that it is as close to the center line of the carbs as possible just as we do on any other brand of engine.

Hey super8, I would love to get some video of the Stik but I can't seem to find any of our club guys that can shoot anything other than blue sky with sound effects. If I can find someone who can shoot a decent video we will get some of all my favorite planes.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Super08

LOL I have the same problem. I come home with more pictures of blue sky and blurred blips on my camera when I ask people to get some pictures for me than anything else.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Heli-NuBee

I put a couple more flights on my Laser 300-V engine powered GP Giant Stik again today. The engine is running stronger right along as it continues to break-in. This is quickly becoming a very fun plane to fly.

Name:	Sq46480.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1895359  
Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Bullethole

Just found this thread re: GBS and thought I would throw in my .02. I have been flying my Stik for a year now and it is my favorite gasser. It has a DLE 30 and goes like stink. Vertical out of sight and with flaps into the wind will hover or fly backwards just like my Telemaster. Flies just as good upside down as right side up. I use it to practice the patterns and can get a decent knife edge if it isn't too windy. My only problem has been the tailwheel. I have caught it in some tight grass on our runway and it broke off at the fuse. GP does not sell the part so I cobbled together a patch that has worked fine up until this week. Now it is broken again. I drew out a plan to mount a dedicated servo on the underside and y harness it to the rudder servo. Then use an after market wheel with springs to absorb the shock. I saw a pic earlier in the thread that almost duplicates what I plan. Thanx for posting the pic.
Here are some pics of my Stik. I used some polished aluminum sheet to dress up my firewall and the carbon fiber prop added 300 rpm to DLE.

Name:	Stik Firewall.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1967377   Click image for larger version

Name:	GBS.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1967378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stik Takeoff.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1967402  

Last edited by Bullethole; 02-10-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:24 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

now move the landing gear bACK AND PUT ON A NOSE GEAR
Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 PM
superfli
My Feedback: (42)

The only good stick is a taildragger........................
Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM
JoeMamma

Originally Posted by Bullethole
Just found this thread re: GBS and thought I would throw in my .02. I have been flying my Stik for a year now and it is my favorite gasser. It has a DLE 30 and goes like stink. Vertical out of sight and with flaps into the wind will hover or fly backwards just like my Telemaster. Flies just as good upside down as right side up. I use it to practice the patterns and can get a decent knife edge if it isn't too windy. My only problem has been the tailwheel. I have caught it in some tight grass on our runway and it broke off at the fuse. GP does not sell the part so I cobbled together a patch that has worked fine up until this week. Now it is broken again. I drew out a plan to mount a dedicated servo on the underside and y harness it to the rudder servo. Then use an after market wheel with springs to absorb the shock. I saw a pic earlier in the thread that almost duplicates what I plan. Thanx for posting the pic.
Here are some pics of my Stik. I used some polished aluminum sheet to dress up my firewall and the carbon fiber prop added 300 rpm to DLE.
Glad to see it's your favorite gasser. What a great plane ! Been flying mine for a couple of seasons now. It seems to be my regular "Go-To" plane. I find myself taking it down from the wall in my shop more than any other plane I have in my stable.

I used an O.S. GT33 for power.

Joe M.

Name:	DSC02566.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	1967383  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM
j301

Originally Posted by superfli
The only good stick is a taildragger........................
Being anti nose gear, does that make you "tricycleist?"

When I want to show off static display, I take a warbird (always something stops working when they are in proximity to the airfield, usually the gear!)
When I just want to fly, I take the stick. (and yup, its a taildragger!)
Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Bullethole

Originally Posted by [email protected]
now move the landing gear bACK AND PUT ON A NOSE GEAR
That's like flying a milking stool!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.