Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Duraplane or 3ch park flyer?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Duraplane or 3ch park flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Mr.Extra 260
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duraplane or 3ch park flyer?

I am going to buy either a duraplane or 3ch park flyer to train me to fly my trainer which one should I get? I was thinking the duraplane can train me to fly most airplanes and can take a spill. But the duraplane is harder to fly than a park flyer. The park flyer is easy to fly can take a spill but i'm not sure it will train me such that when I go to my tower trainer it will be like second nature. The reason i'd rather buy a duraplane and fly it is because I cant I repeat cant get an instructer and need to learn on my own and ive heard if you crash the duraplane it will not break but my trainer will. So which one should I go with? Any help would be greatley appreciated. By the way the park flyer is a vtail so it has all of the controls of a trainer but rudder.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:32 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Duraplane or 3ch park flyer?

I learned to fly on a Duraplane. They are a brick, without a doubt. A durable brick, though. And you sure don't get emotionally attached to the ugly critter. If you can, extend the wing 5 inches a side; it flies a lot better. Also depends if you have a field to learn on or not. Can't learn on a Duraplane unless you have a field or long deserted road. Parkflyers are good to learn on but most are fragile. Foam is a little better than balsa. I've had both Mountain Models and GWS parkflyers. MM flies well and is fairly tough for a balsa planes. GWS is a little heavier but a little more durable. You're just going to have to go with what works for you and be prepared to repair things if you are trying to learn without an instructor. Get a simulator!
Old 11-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Mr.Extra 260
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a huge golf corse fair way right next to a wide open river bed so no problem with space take offs or landings but if I bought the duraplane how hard of a crash can it take and would the park flyer prepare me for the trainer. Is the duraplane hard to learn on by the way its the trainer 40. How many times would I crash before I learned to fly? Did you learn with an instructer? Thanks for the help!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikmaxx,

Were you aware there is a beginner forum? Good place for reference, as well as posting your questions. There are hundreds of beginner posts you could review.

Just a suggestion.
Dave Olson