Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 DPM Dave Patrick Ultimate help needed. >

DPM Dave Patrick Ultimate help needed.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

DPM Dave Patrick Ultimate help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:28 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPM Dave Patrick Ultimate help needed.

Hey guys, it's my birthday and my wife surprised me by saying that we could go to the LHS and pick up the DPM Ultimate that I've been drooling over for the past 6 months or so. It's built, and was on consignment. It was owned by one of the more experienced guys in my club, he had a G26 (I think) before putting it on consignment, and pulling the motor and fuel tank. I do not have any instructions, and this is my first bipe, so I'm needing some guidance.

Does anyone have a manual they could scan, or don't need and could send to me for the postage? DPM wants $12 for the manual, and I don't think that's very fair. If not, can someone scan in the pages of the manual, or tell me how to do the following things?

I've bought an OS 160 for it, How do I go about mounting it? Obviously, I know I need a mount and blind nuts, like any other plane I've put together, but I've always had measurements to go on from a manual. I assume side thrust etc is already built into the firewall, so what do I need to know here?

Where should I balance it out at, and being a biplane, how do you guys check it, just put your fingers under the top wing I assume?

I've found a page on here with the recommended throws, so I'm good there, but I have a question about the flying wires. This is the biggest plane I've had thus far (next biggest I've had is a 40 size Cap), and I've never dealt with the flying wires. I'm guessing I should tighten them until they are tight and everything is square, correct? They are on there, and reasonably tight, how do I know how tight I should have them?

I know that biplanes have the wings at different angles of incidence, should I be measuring that on this plane, or do you just assume they are correct since it's an ARF that has flown before and flew well? If I do measure it, how do I go about that?

Where should I be mounting the fuel tank? I haven't found many pics of this plane in construction, just ones of it all assembled. In the smaller models, it's always been right up against the firewall, with the stopper poking through a hole. That's clearly not the arrangement here, so how do I go about mounting it?

Sorry for all the questions, I lack experience on big biplanes, so I have to ask. I know I won't have a problem flying it, it's the building that's leaving me a bit flummoxed (how's that for a word!)
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: DPM Dave Patrick Ultimate help needed.

I have a manual I am not using, if you want it, I can mail it to you.

CG is in the manual. In fact, all the above questions are addressed in the manual.

OS 160 is perfect power for it; however, fitting it inside a cowl is a different story. Pitts muffler will stick out, and you pretty much have to make cutout for the entire engine AND muffler. I suggest mounting the engine inverted, and get an inverted in-cowl muffler for your OS, like the Bisson inverted scale muffler.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: DPM Dave Patrick Ultimate help needed.

Man, that would be great. Thanks for the offer. I'm pm-ing you my address.