Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Extra 300XS set-up

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Extra 300XS set-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Rio1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Extra 300XS set-up

Hello,
I'm new to this message board and thought I'd ask a question.
Last year I dumped my cherished Sig Extra 300XS into the ground (completely totalled!) after the engine died during a landing approach....what a sad day!
I've had a new kit sitting here now for about a year and I am finally finding the urge to build it. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions while building this ARF for optimum performance. I will use a Saito 180 in it. Any suggestions will be appreciated since I've been away from the hobby for about a year.
Thanks
Old 11-17-2002, 02:40 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great plane, do not use the supplied control hardware, it's too light, go with the heavier ball link type hardware.

Do not solder the control rods as specified, make your own from 1/8" welding wire, 5-40 , and 4-40 die.

I mounted my cowling differently than the plans called for. I made plywood brackets and attached them to the inside of the cowl, they fit up against the firewall and are secured with 6-32 screws.

Vince
Old 11-17-2002, 03:25 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Program in spoilerons (both ailerons come up) for landings. These planes like to float alot and this will make landings easier especially on short fields. Also program in somw down elevator about 2-4%. I have the 300 and the 231 both setup this way. Both will drag the tail wheel before the mains on landings!
Old 11-17-2002, 03:27 AM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rio1

Vince gave you some advice about the hardware.
Also you can add some triangle stock to strengthen the firewall and wing mounting block.

As for the throws and cg well.....

Depending on your flying style and skill, I have mine balanced at 30% and the throws are increased also. The factory low rate setting for the elevator is good for takeoffs and landings but the rudder and ailerons need MORE!!! I had mine at the recommended high rate setting but I still found not responsive enough for my liking.
The plane is a real beauty, i love mine. I have a O.S 1.60fx mounted on mine with a 18x8 Pro-Zinger. Flies great and lands so easily..

Add some triangle around the landing gear ply plate. I never had problems with mine but I have heard a couple guys saying it came loose but who knows what kind of landings they had..

I have Hitec 645's (metal gears)on everything in the plane and after hundreds of flights I haven't had a problem.

I hope you enjoy your and if you need any help and have any more questions just ask..