Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Modifying Alpha Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Modifying Alpha Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:05 PM
pwrful4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying Alpha Trainer

Just wanted to pass on some info. If you have a 40 size Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer and are getting bored with it's performance here is something you can do for less than $10.00 to signficantly increase it's performance. Purchase a 10 x 7 Master Airscrew Prop (MAS1070G3) and a Prop Driver (EVO100219). Remove the three blade prop and the weighted flywheel and install these two items. The result is an airplane that is much more acrobatic and flies about 20mph faster. Saves gas as well because you generate more thrust at lower throttle settings due to the prop being more efficent as well as the motor with the weighted flywheel being removed. See attached pic. Any questions/comments shoot them my way.

Thanks.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13858.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	382888  
Old 01-07-2006, 07:30 PM
somethin else
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Modifying Alpha Trainer

another cool trick is to remove the rudder and elevator (movable sections) and relpace them with larger surfaces. The same also works with the ailerons, but you have to setup one servo for each aileron in the wing. I have seen this setup on a few in the area and they fly great and flatspin so nice the actually gain altitude. Way cool!!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:23 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a 2 3/4" spinner with an aluminum backplate on mine. The aluminum backplate is much thinner than the plastic ones, and gives more threads to get the prop nut on with. I use an 11x5 prop.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:53 AM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

use a APC prop and you will get a little more RPM out of your engine
Old 01-08-2006, 12:04 PM
somethin else
My Feedback: (17)

I second that on the apc prop. Just be sure to sand the back side of it down a bit. It's like a razor
Old 01-08-2006, 01:42 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

That Evo .46 is more than capable of turning a MAS 11 X 6 two bladed prop. You will get much more thrust than with your 10 inch prop. Try it--you'll be amazed. Also, you don't have to purchase the prop driver. The weighted flywheel is just pressed on--you can easily remove it. Open the jaws of a vice wide enough that the weighted ring sets on the jaws, but the prop driver itself doesn't. Then, using a large socket (about the diameter of the prop driver), knock the driver out of the weighted ring. Bingo, you have the same thing that you just paid 10 bucks for....