Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 size

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
n1toga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 size

Hi guys just wanted to know if any one is flying this plane and how is it?
Spec......approx
Wingspan - 64.2 inches
Length - 53.5 inches
Weight - 7.5 to 8 lbs. (flying weight)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68007.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	389509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71510.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	389510  
Old 01-17-2006, 03:02 PM
petronio

Default RE: Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 size

Hi there, yes I have this plane for months now but I have flown it very few times 'cause I haven´t got too much time but it flies very well. In the spanish forums I´ve been surfing around there are quite a lot of people too who have this plane and all of them seem to be very satisfied with it, however some clarification: it seems that Phoenix Model has releases now a second version of this one (at least so I was told in Spain) after the feedback given by the consumers I guess. The plane is very tail heavy, so if you purchase it don´t install the elevator and rudder servos on the tail as the instructions assume for you will have to add a lot of weight on the front. I have mine with a os 91 fx but installed the servos on the tail (I was one of the very first ones to acquire this plane in Spain) and had to putt more than 200 gr on the front next to the engine!!...But as i said, the second version of this plane is built lighter and uses pull-pull if I can remember well. But even if you buy the first version it is very much worth, the esthetic is beautiful and it flies very well. Besides, the best "plus" (for me) is its amazing slow speed when landing. Mine weights almost 4 kg with the full tank!! and it lands wonderfully. Thats all, greetings and ask me if you want to know something
Old 01-18-2006, 12:59 AM
n1toga

Thanks petronio for the info...it sure makes buying the plane a lot easier. The guy I'm buying this plane from says that he has one flying and it quite a snappy aircraft? He says it is more for 3D than pattern flying. I hope it isn't too much for me to handle[] as I am an Intermediate level flyer........ I just want to be able to do sweet knife-edges with this plane and then go on from there.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:57 AM
petronio

3D??this is the first time i heard it can do 3D. I don´t think that Phoenix models planned to make this plane a 3D plane, I wouldn´t say it is pattern either but if I had to choose I would say it is rather basic aerobatic not 3D. AS the case might be, I haven´t done 3D with this plane yet anyway, don´t worry about your level, I have the same level as you, still trying tu get used to this plane. I want to put the servos more forward as I told you and then I might be able to tell you in how far this plane is 3D. But surely use a 91 2 stroke, a 61 would be too few. I actually don´t know anything about the plane being snappy but your friend may be right, I really haven´t done extreme aerobatics with this plane, he surely must have "juiced him much more out". I never pulled elevator fully at a sudden but it would probably snap out yes. The only thing i complain about is that the cabin is sometimes a bit hard to screw(at least mine) but the worst problem is that my elevator has some quite serious warping. The trailing edge of my elevator is absolutely not parallel with the leading edge which made me elevate one part and lower the other. To sum up, in what concerns your level you can peacefully buy it for you will still have a lot to learn with him, I´m still on it . Greetings

PS: the lower colorscheme is quite ugly (everything grey[:'(])so put some strips or something: this is my decoration:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34218.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	389994  
Old 01-18-2006, 05:59 AM
petronio

Oh forgot, and you will have to add some more right incidence if you´ll put a 91
Old 01-18-2006, 09:19 AM
n1toga

Thanks again , So nice to find out that you'r not alone out there. Yes I will be putting an OS 91 2stroke on it and will add right incidence as you mentioned... also will try and work someting out about the servo mounting. Nice paint scheme on the bottom looks fairly easy to do ... probabally copy your design. Vertical Takeoff's and smooth landings until then.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:08 AM
n1toga

hi petronio

Just got my extra 330S and like you said about the 2 different versions.....mine is the updated one. It looks like a 3D machine to me ... my alirons are full span and quite big about 20 percent of the wing area. The rudder is a pull pull arrangement and the servo is mounted in the fuse...plus the wing leading edge has no sheeting. Since the manual is the same as the old version... there is no mention how to mount the wing other than one line and a photograph!!!!???[&:]. Hope you can provide some insight.
Thanks

ps. is the wing one piece or 2 halvs for transportation.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:57 AM
tocpilot

hello

My self and three of my mates have these phoenix extra 330s 60-90size all fitted with ASP .91 AII engines hitec and Jr radio gear
The problem we have is not in the flying of them but the landing. They come in ok untill you drop the power a bit and them the nose drops
a little (too nose heavey) so we have put about 50grams of lead on the tail.

When it comes time to land and drop the wheels onto our grass strip the model bounce like a bunny rabbit (fast and slow airspeed ) some times they can bounce that high that you could walk under it.We have tryed and are using dubro 2.5"low bounce wheels and the stock wheels with stock alumium U/C that come in the kit We have tryed offer flying sites thinking that it was our strip but they do the same thing every time.

If any body has the same problem that we have with all three models landing please let us know.

cheers
Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Willy Aguada

put a saito 100 4 stroke on the nose of this one take out the ugly pilot away use a lightweight battery and good servos, is your weight is less than 7 pounds for sure is going to do 3d, I use it to practice harrier rolls and it flies outstanding, the problem with landing can be solved with dubro low bounce wheels, the two stroke setup is a little nose heavy but nothing to worry about, happy flying !
Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
jbloom

I get to make some repairs to mine, thanks to an uncooperative Super Tigre... Anyone happen to know what the covering is (I think it's Ultracoat) and what the colors are? Don't tell me Blue and Grey! ;-)

Thanks!
John