Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Yak 54 or Goldberg Yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Great Planes Yak 54
64.77%
Goldberg Yak 54
35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Great Planes Yak 54 or Goldberg Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:37 PM
s5lin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Yak 54 or Goldberg Yak 54

We all heard about the GP Yak 54 being listed on Tower, but now there are more photos of it posted on the Great Planes Site.

For the Great Planes Yak
http://www.greatplanes.com/performan.../gpma1411.html

The Goldberg Yak
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/12043.htm

Seems like a nice plane, but only 1138 sq in of wing area? Thats the same as the Goldberg Yak which has a 4 inch smaller wingspan and the wing area on that is virtually the same.

Would prefer the Great Planes or the Goldberg Yak?

I have a OS 1.60 that needs a home and I was leaning towards the Great Planes one myself, but its still nice to get an opinion from the community.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Great Planes Yak 54 or Goldberg Yak 54

I voted for the Goldberg simply because I hate Monocote. But hey the GP doesn't even exist yet.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:39 AM
pit_basher
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Don M.

I voted for the Goldberg simply because I hate Monocote. But hey the GP doesn't even exist yet.

And It has a one piece wing [:'(]
Old 02-01-2006, 06:36 PM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

The GP Yak has a 2 piece wing.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:07 AM
s5lin

Thanks. Thats good to know that the GP yak has a 2 piece wing. I saw the GP Cap and I liked everything except the one piece wing. But the only thing worrying me about the yak is how GP wants you to gang two servos for the rudder.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: s5lin

Thanks. Thats good to know that the GP yak has a 2 piece wing. I saw the GP Cap and I liked everything except the one piece wing. But the only thing worrying me about the yak is how GP wants you to gang two servos for the rudder.

I am certain that one strong servo would be enough. If I buy it I'll only use one servo. Heck if you look close on their web site they have 4 servos on the rudder, 2 in the back and 2 in the fuse on a servo tray ! I guess they are trying to point out that you can go either way, but it made me look twice.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:53 AM
EMVIN

According to my local hobby shop Great Planes owens Goldberg........ I have the Goldberg......
Old 02-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: EMVIN

According to my local hobby shop Great Planes owens Goldberg........ I have the Goldberg......

Actually I read somewhere that Tower Hobbies is at the top of that food chain. According to the info I got ( from Towers ) they bought Great Planes long ago and have been accumulating others ( maybe Goldberg ) along the way.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:22 AM
jbflier

I read recently (R/C Report) that Hobbico owned Golberg too, but thought that Lanier had purchased the rights to the name. I quess it really doesn't matter.............
Old 02-02-2006, 11:10 PM
s5lin

Dang, this whole who owns what name thing is starting to really hurt my head...

Hahaha....

But really, I thought Goldberg was owned by Lanier, but if RC Report says it Hobbico, I have no real reason to believe not. In the end I still shop around as to what different planes I might want for my next project.

So far I am still leaning towards the Great Planes one...
Old 02-03-2006, 02:07 AM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Guys, Hobbico (parent company of Great Planes and Tower Hobbies, among others) does NOT own Goldberg! Lanier owns Goldberg, BUT Hobbico is the "exclusive distributor" of Goldberg merchandise-- just like they are the exclusive distributor of O.S. Max, Futaba, etc.

The proof is simple-- if Hobbico (again, parent company of Great Planes) also owned Goldberg, why would the two "sister companies" Great Planes and Goldberg produce different versions of almost exactly the same products-- the 80" Yak, for example (and the approximately 80" Edge and Extra that both companies sell, or plan to soon). What business-minded person would approve that?!

I don't work for or have any business connection with either company, I just enjoy their products!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:54 AM
Don M.

Let's get back to which is best - I'm interested.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Kinda hard to determine which is "best" when one hasn't even been released yet. I've seen the Goldberg Yak in person at the shop, so my vote would have to go in that direction. We took it all out of the box and looked it over, and everything looked VERY good. Plus, I just finished a Goldberg Pitts 12 and everything about it was top shelf also! Didnt even have to take any wrinkles out of the covering!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:31 PM
maxun
My Feedback: (12)

I order a BME Yak54 yes it is expensive but is the best in the market togueder with the TOC of aviation Models, what I look in a airplane for 3D is #1 weight 2) engeneering construction, 3)hardware 4)Instruccion manual, the last thing I look is the monokote, chinacote or ultracote they use.
Plug in wings into the fuselage good engeneering, flush [&o] no to good, weight, super important for 3D so far the pictures of the great planes look good, plus there reputasion is good, goldberg is exelente but they need to post more pictures, wing area is a big issue so if I have or I will have to put my money for one or the other I will go with great planes, plus the exelent service of towerhobbies with there products (great Planes). Remember tower do not stock goldberg parts.
Now both they need to do a 3D video with the airplane, but I mean a 3D video with really 3D pilots like Kyle or Mr. West to see the full performace of this airplanes with DA-50 o BME or 3W engines. Hope great planes or goldberg hire this pilots. You have to see this kid kyle flying he is greeeeeeat.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:02 PM
s5lin

For the price of the Goldberg, I think I would be happier with the Great Planes. I just bought an Obsession from Tower for cheap and some of the Hardware does not compare to Great Planes.

From my first impression, the Great Planes ARFS are better built than the Goldbergs. Just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:49 PM
LookNatU2
My Feedback: (11)

I have the Goldburg Extra 330 it's the brother to the Yak and it's built really nice. Big control surfaces for 3D. I'm running a 46cc Brillelli gas engine on it. Only got to fly it 3 times before winter shut me down but it flew good. I got the weight down to right around 14.0 lbs. Goldburg got it right on these two planes.
My vote is for the Goldburg Yak..............
Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 PM
flyboy1020

Which Yak is more suted for 3D flying? Do they both tipstall bad?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Was going to buy the CG YAK but then the GP YAK came out and I bought it because of the larger wingspan and IMAC/IMAA legal. Plus CG can't even put out a video so you can see it fly. It does not tip stall bad at all, but it will do it. I have a Brillelli 46cc in it. It will hover and flat spin (very easy) and knife edge fine. Am currently learning rolling harriers on the simulator but have not tried in RL yet.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
skybrat16
My Feedback: (13)

how does the GP yak fly for Imac? and for 3d? Would a Fugi 50cc be a good combo for this plane?