Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

seagull extra 300s

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

seagull extra 300s

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:54 AM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seagull extra 300s

Hi noticed the price has dropped on the extra 300s 60 arf by seagull. Thinking about getting one
Looking for info from guys who have one, how does it fly and quality of construction.

thanks
Old 02-25-2006, 08:37 PM
WCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: seagull extra 300s

The one I had flew nice with a TT .91 four stroke. Check the firewall and reenforce it if needed. They may have fixed that issue by now but my firewall broke loose causing a dead stick during the climb out on take off. It stalled and hit hard breaking the main spar. I fixed it but not good enough and lost a wing half on the bottom of a loop and destroyed the plane. That's been a couple years ago and they may have addressed that problem, but I'd check it anyhow.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just happen to have picked up one of these planes this weekend. . I was impressed with the quality of the build, and only had to run my heat gun over everything to take out the wrinkles in the covering. It only took a couple of hours to put it together due to the fact that all of the hinges were already in place and pinned. The ONLY issue I've had with it so far is the bottom fuse cover that attaches to the wing. Mine wasn't cut with the same precision as the wing saddle on the fuse was so it didn't fit very well. But I little trimming got it attached adequately.

As far as the firewall goes, mine came already reinforced front and back with tri-stock on all sides. I'm putting my Saito 1.00 in it, so I'm looking for a larger fuel tank to put in it. If I can get a new flight pack and fuel tank soon enough, I'm hoping to maiden her this weekend.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Connery

Well, I ran into a little problem when I went to mount the Saito. With the firewall in the stock location, the prop would stick out about 1" in front of the cowl. So I cut out the firewall and moved it back an inch and epoxied it back in place with tri-stock on both sides, front and back.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:02 PM
kstick

I had one of these until I tried to do a snap roll too low, went to deep into the snap and smashed it in.

It was an ok flyer (I had an OS 61 2stroke on it) but I needed more power. The advertised weight of 6-7 pounds is wrong. Mine came in at 8.2 pounds and would tip stall in a heart beat if I pulled too hard on the elevator in a turn or loop.

It is a good looking plane, but not for those without lots of experience in twitchy aerobats (like me). Also, it's control surfaces aren't large enough for 3D flying (which I'm not into) even if you overpower it by a large amount.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Connery

I'm not into 3D flying, just sport flying and warbirds. With the Saito 1.00 I put on it there should be plenty of power.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: kstick

I had one of these until I tried to do a snap roll too low, went to deep into the snap and smashed it in.

It was an ok flyer (I had an OS 61 2stroke on it) but I needed more power. The advertised weight of 6-7 pounds is wrong. Mine came in at 8.2 pounds and would tip stall in a heart beat if I pulled too hard on the elevator in a turn or loop.

It is a good looking plane, but not for those without lots of experience in twitchy aerobats (like me). Also, it's control surfaces aren't large enough for 3D flying (which I'm not into) even if you overpower it by a large amount.

Good luck.
Same story here to the T. The 61 flew it good. I was doing a fast , low knife edge down the runway and thought I'd show off by doing a snap roll out at the end. SPLAT ! R.I.P.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:52 PM
fun_fly_3D
My Feedback: (1)

If anyone's interested, i have one for sale with like new saito 100, hitec 645 metal gear high torque servos. am selling for 330 shipped to your door.

Brian
Old 06-16-2006, 07:07 AM
ArmandoJorge

I put on mine a super tigre 75, but i'am not sure about the servos, what do you think about standard servos ?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
davidm
My Feedback: (18)

I have several flights on mine. It does like speed on landing, TT 61 with Pitts muffler.
I would like to change out the gear mounting bolts to nylon, but the blind nuts would have be pulled out to do that. Once you knock the gear out on a dead stick in the weeds its a chore to keep it epoxied in. Hopeflly the nylons would shear off.

David