Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WM T-34 build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WM T-34 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WM T-34 build

I paid 129.00 with free shipping for mine. Shipped to my door in three days.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$119.00 to $129.00
Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 AM
cruzomatic

Thus far things are going well except for the flimsy pushrods that service the front wheel and the throttle linkage. Any suggestions other than going with heavier wire? Also, did anyone dremel out the fuel tank housing? I wasn't able to wedge any foam around the tank where it meets the ply braces. I was able to put some foam pieces on front of it though,,,think that'll be enough?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:45 AM
Carlos Murphy

No foam needed around the tank, I've done a bunch of these and no problem.
Most all ARF's do not have insulated tanks.

After the receiver and batt. is in, install a brace made of 1/2x1/2" balsa bout 1" long, cut a groove across one end with a razor saw for the nose wheel push rod to slide in. Glue the other end to the side of the fuse with thick CA and kicker, then glue a small plate across the other end to retain the push rod. This ceeps the push rod from bowing.

To retain the battery and receiver, glue the tank retainer wood (1/2x1/2 balsa) across the back of the tank (bulkhead) with the bottom of it even with the top of the receiver and install one end of a tongue depressor under it and the other end under the front edge of the servo tray.
Usually the receiver sits in front of the battery for correct balance.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:14 AM
cruzomatic

Carlos,

Thanks for the advice. Great ideas. Would you happen to have a pic available of your setup?

Old 03-24-2006, 06:43 AM
a65l

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I built and flew one of these about 6 months ago. Great plane. Didn't do anything different from teh instructions except for having to round out the front of the wing saddle to allow the wing to slide all the way in.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58968.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	431949  
Old 03-24-2006, 08:40 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rounding out the front of the wing saddle appears to be universal. I think everybody probably has to do this with this plane.No biggie, a Dremel can handle it in very short order.The pushrod for the nose gear is indeed too thin, IMHO. I`ve had some trouble with the nose gear twisting on landing on fairly rough grass. First problem was that the pushrod was slipping at the connection with the servo. I threadlocked the connector and tightened it down substantially. That appears to have fixed that, at least so far. I also expanded the flat spot on the nose gear to give better bite for the set screw on the nose gear arm. Even with the flex in the pushrod, probably be OK, particularly on a smoother surface.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:10 AM
cruzomatic

Thanks for chiming in guys. I'll give it another go this afternoon.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:16 AM
cruzomatic

UPDATE: I'm almost done. Can you all tell me how it balances. Trying to decide where to put the battery pack 4.8v 1100mah nicad? In front or behind the rx. Thinking in front would be best, a bit safer too in case of a disaster.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Carlos Murphy

The battery sits in front of the servo tray behind the receiver, no lead needed anywhere.

I use the black rubber tool box drawer liner from Harbor Freight to wrap the batt & rec separately. Cut two strips about a foot long each, wrap each unit and secure with a rubber band.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:40 AM
TideFlyer

Cruz, try it in front. That`s where I put mine and I still needed some weight up front. On a detail, have you put the provided pilots in the cockpit? I left them out `cause I think they`re kind of dorky looking(my very humble opinion, however). WM makes a 1/7 pilot that looks like it would be better.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 AM
TideFlyer

Looks like Carlos had a different experience. Oh well... guess it`s a toss up, Cruz!!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
cruzomatic

Hey Carlos,

I saw that tool box lining and that's a great idea. I usually use the hitec flight preserver wraps that come stock with rx's, but I like your idea. I bought some of that myself for my tool boxes and do have some left over. Now I know where I can use it.

Tideflyer,

No haven't installed the pilots yet. Will probably add one and the other pilot seat gets a toy from my son's toy box. They're both the same. It's just wrong to use the same exact looking pilots for both the front and rear seat. Typically, I don't like to use the traditional pilot look, but I'm running out of my son's toys.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Probably won't get to it later tonight as I'm working and it's golf tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda off the build thread, but this morning about 20 T-34's and one V series Beech landed at the local airport across from my dealership. They beat up the field, and then landed in pairs. Must have needed gas, cause a couple of hours later, they took off in pairs and headed further south. Neat looking if you are a fan of the New T-Bird

Bill AMA 4720