Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Regarding the spring, I do the same.
Regarding the comment about "plowing", as I fly primarily from a grass field, I can relate, don't mind the appearance of grass stained tips. Run APC 18x8W props with pretty good luck on the DLE30. The leading/trailing edges do recieve a pretty good massaging while balancing though.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the tail flying wires yesterday. I put together a composite installation brochure which I deviated from slightly in my installation. I didn't feel like doing any additional carpentry work so I fixed the lower forward wire to the forward tailwheel screw. All four wires "twang" so I guess this will hold up ok.

Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92779.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1724942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28623.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1724943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56456.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1724944  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fz74625.pdf (263.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my Super yesterday, it was kinda bittersweet in a way. So it's time to move on to bigger and better things. She will be missed. Here is a pic of the proud new papa. She looks as good as the day I maidened her over two years ago.

So long old girl.

Name:	Ec88857.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1735365  
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Best to keep them excersized! What have you/are you moving to?

Thinkin mine will be in the stable quite a while yet, as the one to fall back on when everything else (profile and scale) just don't seem to fly right? It pretty much sets the bar from a sport flying perspective here.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

I have my eye on the Meister jug...I will have to put these pennies together with future pennies, and about a year and a half of hard work to get there though. The Super was the last ARF in my stable, so now everything I'm flying was built by me.

Don't know if thats a good or bad thing.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had an aileron servo fail today on the GSS. It was an HS-485HB type. It had an electrical problem, an internal short. On only one 10 min flight, it drained about 1,100 mA from my battery. The plane had two or three uncontolled twitches and the left aileron locked in a full down position. I cut the engine, got the plane level with the rudder and right aileron and landed okay in some high weeds. No damage to anything except my nerves.

I just replaced both aileron servos with the HS-645MG types to match the other servos on the plane.

At this point, the plane has about 1,900 flights. I have slowed down on my flying a lot this year, mostly due to health and weather issues; only ran six gallons of fuel through the engine. Just bought another six pack of oil, cost for it was $18, which gave me sticker shock. I think it is a crime to pay almost the same price as a gallon of gas for 1/50 of the amount of oil. Still way cheaper than nitro, but the price is getting up there..
Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Kostas1

another succesful flight with the Sportster!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Joystick TX

I replaced the GP version tail wheel assembly with a new heavy duty one. I fixed the old one three times, the wire kept breaking and the wheel bearing wore out. The new one seems to be holding up okay on our rough field.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Joystick TX

Got a lot of flights on the plane last month, ran through over two gallons of gas. It was nice to have nothing fall off for a change.

Some of the monocote startied to come loose on the bottom of the fuselage just behind the wing. I tried to tack it back down, but gave up and just replaced it.

Still love this plane.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 AM
prr6100

I built one of the field benches from your plans, so far its great, no more getting on the ground and bending over all the time, Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: prr6100

I built one of the field benches from your plans, so far its great, no more getting on the ground and bending over all the time, Thanks!
Glad you like the bench. I wojuld not want to fly without them, it sure saves wear and tear on the old knees.

I had another pot go bad on my transmitter yesterday. The elevator was acting strange, it would go up and down intermittently when I was trying to land. I replaced the pot and it works great now. Last year I had to replace the aileron and rudder pots and the year before, the throttle pot.

Got in a few flights today, before the winds came up,with no problems. Love this weather.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM
prr6100

I'm not sure if you have mentioned this, but how old are the parts that are going bad?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: prr6100

I'm not sure if you have mentioned this, but how old are the parts that are going bad?
I got this transmitter about three years ago. I use it for three airplanes. My GSS has over 2000 flights on it or about 500 hours. The pots started going bad at about 300 hours of aircraft flying time.

I have two older style transmitters, with the large pots, and they have never gone bad. I don't think the little mini pots are as durable as the old ones.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Kostas1

Hi!

Could you please xplain me what is an elevator pot or rudder pot;
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Hi!

Could you please xplain me what is an elevator pot or rudder pot;
The "pot" is actually a variable resistor or potentiometer inside the transmitter that is connected to the base of the stick. There is one pot for each main control function such as elevator, rudder, throttle and aileron. When the stick is moved, the resistance of the pot changes which results in a change in the signal being sent to the receiver and servo. When they get worn they cause the signals transmitted to the receiver and servo to be different that what is commanded. Sometimes we call it "noise" because the commands become jerky instead of smooth when the stick is moved.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Kostas1

Ah thank's Steve! [8D]
Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Joystick TX

Just ripped the gear off my GSS. I made four really bad landings all on the same day, it could only take so much abuse. Loosing the gear and breaking the prop once is not too bad after over 2000 flights and about 20K landings.

The good news is that it will only take an hour or two to repair. I just need to cut a new pine block to fit the fuselage, cover it with monokote and bolt on the gear. It came off clean and there was no damage to the rest of the plane.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's no way to treat a lady!

Hope you're back together and on good terms soon.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:57 AM
Muttdog

Well I am happy to report that my GSSis finally finished and ready for her maiden. Work picked up quite a bit so that required a 3 month break from working on the plane. It was a real bummer as I crashed my Pulse XT the day after Christmas so there have been no planes in the hangar to fly. Weather has been a real issue anyway in South Florida as over the last 6 months we have had nothing but high winds. All of my fishing buddies have been singing the blues because of this as well. Ended up installing the flying wires kit with no issues, it came out very well although it makes it a pain to work around the tail as I constantly hit the wires. After the wires installation it was time to balance and boy did I get lucky. The plane required NO ballast as once the batteries were both mounted behind the tank, everything was right on the money and there is plenty of room to shif them if need be for CGchanges down the road. I spent way more time crafting the landing gear installation then anticipatedbut now that it is all done and painted with the wheel pants mounted I am so happy that I did it. Not only will it transport much easier but it looks so much better then stock. There should also be some suspension action that will help the hard hits whereas the OEM setup will direct all impacts directly into the airframe. The LG also provides a perfect spot to mount a camera. I use the Contour GPS camera so it will display speed and altitude in real time on a moving map that makes for some great video. The cam will not be onboard for the maiden but I will post a link as soon as I get a video up. Fired up the simulator this week to help shake the rust off but there is no way to simulate the nerves of a first flight. hopefully my next post will be a successful report. I wanted to post some better pics but it was raining last night and Icould not get her outside to sit on the wheels. Thanks to everyone who posted here some great advice, most of which I took and used successfully. - MD

Name:	Mk27698.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1763116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61344.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1763117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96702.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1763118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38844.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1763119  
Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Looks good MD.
What engine did you use? I hope it goes well and you have many enjoyable flights. Brian

ORIGINAL: Muttdog

Well I am happy to report that my GSS is finally finished and ready for her maiden. Work picked up quite a bit so that required a 3 month break from working on the plane. It was a real bummer as I crashed my Pulse XT the day after Christmas so there have been no planes in the hangar to fly. Weather has been a real issue anyway in South Florida as over the last 6 months we have had nothing but high winds. All of my fishing buddies have been singing the blues because of this as well. Ended up installing the flying wires kit with no issues, it came out very well although it makes it a pain to work around the tail as I constantly hit the wires. After the wires installation it was time to balance and boy did I get lucky. The plane required NO ballast as once the batteries were both mounted behind the tank, everything was right on the money and there is plenty of room to shif them if need be for CG changes down the road. I spent way more time crafting the landing gear installation then anticipated but now that it is all done and painted with the wheel pants mounted I am so happy that I did it. Not only will it transport much easier but it looks so much better then stock. There should also be some suspension action that will help the hard hits whereas the OEM setup will direct all impacts directly into the airframe. The LG also provides a perfect spot to mount a camera. I use the Contour GPS camera so it will display speed and altitude in real time on a moving map that makes for some great video. The cam will not be onboard for the maiden but I will post a link as soon as I get a video up. Fired up the simulator this week to help shake the rust off but there is no way to simulate the nerves of a first flight. hopefully my next post will be a successful report. I wanted to post some better pics but it was raining last night and I could not get her outside to sit on the wheels. Thanks to everyone who posted here some great advice, most of which I took and used successfully. - MD
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 AM
Muttdog

Brian:

I am using DLE 30 that I made a custom set of aluminum mounts from the OEM mounts that came with the plane (the ones for the Fuji engine). I have been posting to this forum since January this year and Iposted pics of the engine mount as well as the landing gear mods. I starting posting on page 69 of this thread but the pics are on page 71. Others used wood to mount the engine but I am very happy with the setup I used as it was lightweight, strong and leaves a ton of room in the engine bay.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 AM
JoeMamma

Well I am happy to report that my GSS is finally finished and ready for her maiden.
MD,

If your GSS flies as well as mine, you shouldn't have any worries.[8D] It's a real gentle giant !

Joe M.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

I went back and looked. I remember now. Looks great. I have a G38 in mine, some heavier but it flys great, and I have had many nice flights on it. Let us know how it goes. Thanks. Brian

Brian:

I am using DLE 30 that I made a custom set of aluminum mounts from the OEM mounts that came with the plane (the ones for the Fuji engine). I have been posting to this forum since January this year and I posted pics of the engine mount as well as the landing gear mods. I starting posting on page 69 of this thread but the pics are on page 71. Others used wood to mount the engine but I am very happy with the setup I used as it was lightweight, strong and leaves a ton of room in the engine bay.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Kostas1

Oh Muttdog,

I cannot wait to see the footage from your camera!!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
bigwes1962
My Feedback: (1)

maidened mine a couple days ago....flys great. os gt33 for power with biela 18x8 prop.did the gear mod also and it looks so much better than the stock setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.