Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 120 and the G26

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick 120 and the G26

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:27 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 120 and the G26

Anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the Ultra Stick Lite 120 and the G26 combination?

I just purchased this combination and was hoping to get a little insight as to how it performs.....

Being over 20oz heavier than the Saito 1.80 combination and about .4 hp less......

I couldn't resist the gas vs glow, but hope that I am not going to be disappointed with the power to weight and performance of this combo....

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Bill
Old 05-08-2006, 03:57 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick 120 and the G26

ORIGINAL: vanman

Anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the Ultra Stick Lite 120 and the G26 combination?

I just purchased this combination and was hoping to get a little insight as to how it performs.....

Being over 20oz heavier than the Saito 1.80 combination and about .4 hp less......

I couldn't resist the gas vs glow, but hope that I am not going to be disappointed with the power to weight and performance of this combo....

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Bill

-----------------

I think it is safe to say that the G26 powered Ultra Stick is not going to fly the same as the Saito 1.80 powered version. While I haven't flown this model with a G26 as yet, I think it is a safe bet that it is not going to be a rootin'-tooin' 3D machine. However, my good friend Bob in Delaware is flying the first version of the Ultra Stick with a G23. He says it is a great sport model with that engine. The G26 and the lighter version of the Ultra Stick should be substantially better than his very satisfying Ultra Stick with a G23.

I was going to put my G23 on my Ultra Stick Lite, but lately I've been thinking of mounting up an SPE 40cc engine. What the heck...<G>

If you haven't bought the G26 as yet, I would take a gander at some of the latest offerings by Brillelli (Poulan 46cc) and BCMA (SPE 40cc). Even some of the Toro 25cc conversions by Brillelli would be as strong as the G26 and you could save $135 in the process and end up with a slightly lighter engine. I'm referring to Brillelli's 25cc mag engine for $165 shipped in the US 48 contiguous states.

I'm keeping an eye open on the SPE 26cc engine with EI. That too will cost less than the G26 and is substantially lighter.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
b100

if you have a few hours to spare

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2273356
Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:18 AM
waynem
My Feedback: (58)

I put a 18x6 wide APC prop and a bennet muffler on my stock G26 and it made a big difference in the performance. A 18x6 Mejalik prop. and a abell muffler will be better.Wayne
Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
vanman

b100,

I just spent that couple of hours reading that entire thread! What a great thread!!

I am getting ready to start cutting my plane up just a bit so that I too can enjoy that good of a USL.

Thanks

Bill
Old 05-09-2006, 03:19 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

I may have had a few posts in that thread myself. I've owned three US 120s. An old version and two of the lites. Every one of them ended up in the trees.[:@] I'm now flying a Jerry's Big Boy with my G26. Due to the weight of the engine, the lite must have the servo for the rudder at least, in the rear. The G26 is more than enough power for it. With the 16X8 APC it will jump off the ground within a few feet and land at almost walking speed. I don't think the quad flap setup is necessary unless you just like to play around with it. Even with the rudder servo in the rear I had to add a couple oz of weight to balance it. The 120 isn't a 3D plane anyway. It is very acrobatic but there some things it doesn't do very well in the 3D range. Gas is nice. It's cleaner and cheaper,,,, even today! My G26 gave me tuning problems. It would die in loops and after a long spin. I got used to dead sticks but finally got tired of it and bought the carb that came on the G23, the WA 167 Walbro. I believe that I lost a little power in the change but haven't had a dead stick since. Regardless of which engine you use, you won't be disappointed in the plane. It flies great and lands like a trainer. It can be hard to see (orientation) in some lighting situations though. You'll love it I promise.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 PM
b100

Bill;
i'm sure you'll like it. it's a good plane to get in to gas. not too complex or expensive & easy to fly. the only negative is the primarily clear factory covering, it's pretty easy to loose orientation. i added some wide red stripes to the bottom of the wing after the first couple flights.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:38 AM
vanman

Thanks guys!!

This will be my 3rd gasser, but first gasser in the sport aerobatic class.

I have a G23 on a 1/4 scale Taylorcraft and a G38 in a 1/4 scale DeHavilland Beaver on floats........ I have been wanting something that is as close to an all around aerobatic, 3D, daily flyer as I can find and this seems to fit the bill. I understand that it won't do everything, but it sounds like it will do most......

I just put together one of the Mini Ultra Sticks and what a blast that little thing is........

My criteria for my new plane was:

Gas, so no nitro slime.....
Gas, so no $14/gal
Big......size does matter
All around plane..... I like to go out and tear holes in the sky with my 540 Edge some days, hang on the propeller once in a while and others I just like to do touch and goes..... On the days that I want to take only 1 plane, this seems like it will satisfy me regardless of which type of flying day I feel like......OR a combination of BOTH with the same plane.

I cut the nose off the plane last night ( 2-1/2" ) and will be sending my G26 out to RCIgnitions tomorrow for the electronic ignition upgrade and weight loss program....

Looking forward to flying it, thanks to everyone so far that has chimed in with some info.

Bill
Old 05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
AeroDave

Bill,
I put an Ultra Stick/G26 together and was active in that thread. Mine flew great. The one thing that will suprise you is that there is plenty of power to hover and torque roll. In fact, this is a great plane to truly perfect your technique with these popular moves. The long tail moment makes it really stable in hover. I put my servos in the tail and used a slimline muffler, which with an APC 17-6 yeilds about 15 lbs of static thrust (on the ground). I also learned to do rolling harriers with this plane. Even thought it rocks terribly in a harrier, when rolling it cant' rock, because its rolling.....So planes that don't harrier well can be used to do rolling harriers. Anyway, this is a great combination to hav fun with, as well as learn a few basic 3D moves.