Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CESSNA 182 -- Request input

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CESSNA 182 -- Request input

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
UD_cessna172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CESSNA 182 -- Request input

Hello fellow flyers,

I purchased the Cessna 182 Skylane 60 (with a 63" wing span) from eBay. I have not recieved it yet. It's 90% built and comes installed with:

Magnum .61 2-stroke motor
Five (5) GWS S30TXF Hi-Torque Servos

I have also purchased the Futaba 6EXAS 6-Channel FM radio.

The eBay ad said that the buyer would have to finish up the final balancing and trim on the plane. This would also involve balancing the prop as well, correct? Is there any web site or information you all could give me in order to finish this plane? I know how to do weight and balance on a REAL Cessna 172 but I doubt it's comparable. LOL!

Any input would be great! I'm sure I'll be back for more questions when the bird arrives.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:44 PM
jmupilot

Default RE: CESSNA 182 -- Request input

If the airplane is completely built I assume by balance and trim the seller means balance as per instructions so the aircraft balances at the correct Center of Gravity shown in the instructions, and by trim he means flight trim after the plane is in the air. This is accomplished with lead weight in the correct place, or sometimes can be done just by shifting the 4.8v battery pack for or aft (the better way so as to not add any more weight). I have this same model and it requires some assembly. The Wings need to be joined, the tail feathers need to be installed. landing gear put on, fuel tank installed and plumbed. Yes 90% of the building is done but it still needs a lot to get it flight ready.

Have you flown an RC aircraft before? I take it you are a full scale pilot. The controls are the same as full scale but if you have never flown an RC airplane I would very strongly suggest you get some help from a local club. Sure as the sun comes up in the east you may get it in the air but I'd bet a paycheck you wont get it back down in one piece. R/C flying has a nasty habit of looking so easy to do. I am a full scale pilot too and have been flying R/C for 30+ years. Its a whole lot easier to fly full scale than it is R/C.

As for balancing the prop most of the newer glass filled props are balanced from the factory, the wooded ones need the attention due to variences in the woodgrain and density.

RC Universe it one of the best places you can go to get information you need. Just do a search on the Cessna 182 and you will see lots threads on here. Don't be affraid to ask any questions.

Pete
Old 05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
UD_cessna172

Thanks Pete!

I am looking into a local flying club. I was just looking around on here for more information. I thank you for your information!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well you came to the correct spot for information. Let us know exactly what plane you got and maybe it might come with an instruction manual! If so, share that info with us as well.....and WELCOME to fine hobby of model aviation!!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:12 PM
UD_cessna172

Tailskid,

Oh, I will. I am very interested in R/C Flying (well, I always have been) just reciently I have found the funds to support it. I'm a newbee! Can't wait to learn!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:39 PM
jmupilot

There is a club in Dubuque, the Tri-State Modelers. I tried a web site for them but had no luck. Are you afflilated with the University of Dubuque?

I'm In Telecommunications at James Madison University in Harisonburg.

Pete
Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 PM
UD_cessna172

Yes sir, I am! I'm majoring in Flight Operations with plans to continue on with a career in either the airlines or corporate.