Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF FW-190 GAS OR GLOW?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF FW-190 GAS OR GLOW?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:10 PM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF FW-190 GAS OR GLOW?

Hey guys,
I am building a 70" FW-190 war bird. I have narrowed my engine selections to a 4 stroke saito 125 or a gas engine. I am unsure which one to go with. The size prop that each will swing is close. The differance is the weight. The gas is a lot more. Help please?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:17 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ARF FW-190 GAS OR GLOW?

ORIGINAL: skillet92

Hey guys,
I am building a 70" FW-190 war bird. I have narrowed my engine selections to a 4 stroke saito 125 or a gas engine. I am unsure which one to go with. The size prop that each will swing is close. The differance is the weight. The gas is a lot more. Help please?

------------

If it is a replica of the short nosed, radial engine (full size) equipped model, a light gasser would work well. You might have to put the flight battery behind the wing in the fuselage. No biggie.

There is the BCMA SPE 26cc engine, which is light (for a gasser) at $270. Then there is the heavier, but powerful magneto equipped Brillelli (Toro) 25cc engine for $165 delivered in the contiguous 48 United States of America. Sorry, I didn't notice where you lived.

However, a new Saito 1.25a or an older Saito 1.20 would be nice too. That is a tough decision! <G>
Old 05-11-2006, 09:25 PM
skillet92

It is a short noised replica. Some of the guys at the club that i fly at Said gas i just am a little new at this and the thought of jumping on a gas is a little scary. I know car engines and have had no trouble with the airplane engines that i have flown, but i worry that a gas is a little advanced?

PS mabye i am confused(easy to achieve) , but i went to the BCMA web site and am wondering do you have to have a separate battery for the engines fire?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 AM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

I have the BCMA 26cc engine that I plan on installing in my hellcat, which is about the same size as your FW. The BCMA engine actually weighs about the same as a comparable glow. It is very light, so don't let the misconception that "all gas engines weigh alot more than glow engines" deter you from picking it. Also, I wouldn't be intimidated by gas engines. In my experience, they are much easier to tune and run than glow. It seems the needles don't need to be tweaked nearly as much and break-in can be done in the air. Out of 5 gas engines I have owned, four of them ran great at the carb settings that came from the factory and I never even had to touch them. With my DA50, I literally installed the engine and flew it immediately. No ground break-in or needle adjustments required. 15 flights later and I still have not touched anything on it. The other advantage of gas is its cheaper to run, you can mount the gas tank anywhere you want in the plane for balance, and they require less field equiptment. When I run my gassers, all I bring is tank of gas and a glove. I don't need my entire field box.

To answer your other question, yes you need a separate battery pack for the BCMA engine for the ignition module, because it has electronic ignition. Most engines on the market are electronic ignition. All you need is a small 4.8V pack. If you went with say a Zenoah, then you would not need a battery pack on the ignition, because it is not electronic ignition. That is the only mass produced engine that I can think of that is not EI.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

You might want to convert a Ryobi weedwacker motor, they cost $50, convert in about 1 1/2 hours, turn a 16x8 prop 7000. I fly a 16 pound, 88 inch scratchbuilt with one, I love it.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:12 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

I am thinking the ryobi conversion would be too heavy for his 70" plane. In my opinion, having the very similar hellcat as your FW, I would stick with the BCMA engine or the new zenoah g20 or the first place engines. Something small and lightweight. The last thing you are going to want is a 12 pound, 70" warbird for your first gas engine.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:26 PM
virtualvictum

Gas is the way to go. I fly a 70" FW-190 with a First Place Engines 2.4 motor in the nose. Plenty of power and looks better too. most gas engines come with pitts style mufflers and they look good hanging out the bottom. Yes sbaugz is right as well, no cumbersome field box to carry around. just bring the plane and gas and go fly. One thing to consider is that you can fly about twice as long on gas than a glow engine with the same size tank. The bigger glow engines really drink fuel. here is a pic of mine. Get the gas motor and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85011.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	460542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75538.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	460543  
Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Who makes that FW-190? Looks great!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

I just got back from flying my 72" Spitfire. Running the Brillelli GT.25cc Toro conversion w/EI. 17x6 APC. Flys much more stable than it did before with the glow engines. Lands nice and slow. Runs well over 10 minutes on a 12oz tank. I just have my timer set to 10min but I bet it would go 20mins.
Scott from Brillelli is great to work with . He will treat you right and go the extra mile for you.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:28 PM
virtualvictum

Thanks. It is the CMP FW-190 70" wingspan kit. The colors on the plane sucked so I repainted her myself. Flys really well too. For the price you can't beat it. Just a little over $200.00. You might be able to get it cheaper by doing a little shopping now.