Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Pulse XT

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Pulse XT

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:41 AM
GreyfoxVt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Pulse XT

Well boys, there is another new kid in town and it is called the PULSE XT, and boy is this a nice little plane...

I just recieved my new Hanger 9 Pulse XT ARF today, designed by Mike McConville and after opening the box, I just had to start in on it! I am happy to report that this seems to be a very well built and kitted ARF aircraft! The box and packing are well done as are most of the newer Hanger 9 kits, and there was no damage, or missing parts. The construction seems to be very good, and the covering is nice...

I began by unpacking all of the parts for inspection, and counting, and everything looked very well built. This is a .46 size aircraft, and I am sure my OX.46x will be a perfect engine for some weekend barnstorming. You can add more power, but I think it would just be wasted. This plane is built for flying and not aerobatics to the max...

The kit comes complete with all features for both electric conversion or glow power. The instruction manual was very well printed with great photos of each step, (very clear). The fiberglass parts are well manufactured, and pre painted to match the existing color scheme. I particularly like the unique tail assembly of a removable stabalizer (using bolts). This makes it easy to break down for travel and storage.

After about 6 hours of building, I am almost ready to finish it up, and go out and try it, only my local weather forcast for Saturday is RAIN!

I will keep you all updated...
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2006, 09:03 PM
FlyI Bus Driver
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Hanger 9 Pulse XT

Let us know how she flies..! I'm looking for a .40 size sporty type airplane, and while I hate to fall for magazine ads, this one looked pretty!

Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 AM
GreyfoxVt
My Feedback: (4)

Well here we go... I finished building the Pulse XT, and took it out yesterday. I again checked the balance with was right on at 2.75 inches without adding any weight! This plane was so easy to build, everything was done and documented in the manual so you could not make a mistake! After running two tanks of fuel through the OS.46 FX, I decided it was time to take to the air... with a gentle taxi (on grass), to the hold line, I turned the aircraft into the wind and advanced the throttle gradually to get a feel for the rudder response. I decided to use Duel Rate on the rudder since it was so big and responsive. I am one who likes realism in my flying, so most controls are gradual and precise like the real thing. She accelerated quickly, and with a slight bit of back pressure, lifted into the sky and quickly accelerated. With virtually no trim added she climbed out smoothly and tracking straight.

Once in pattern I did add a bit of down trim to maintain level flight, and a slight bit of right aileron to keep level, and then it was hands off! This plane tracks is if on a rail, and is very quick to respond to control input. I switched all the duel rates on, and still had more than enough control. I was quickly retarding the engine to about 3/4 throttle and it was still moving right along, and maintaining course and altitude. At this point I was confident that any standard aerobatics would be fine, so I began performing the normal inverted flight, loops, and rolls which seemed effortless. I had programmed my radio for an UP-Right Snap roll, so after coming out of the loop and climbing, I initiated the snap, it was a bit clumsy, so I disengaged the duel rates, and tried again, WOW! Much better! This plane was just as I had hoped, a great weekend toy for chewing up the sky with little effort, price, and still looks good!

Well after about 10 minutes of fun flying, it was time to lad, so I slowed the plane up on the downwind, and observer the sink, which was very normal. Only a bit of up elevator was required. As I raised the nose the plane slowed and sank quicker, so I then just let it come down to the field where I applied a continuous up stick to slow even more, and drop to the deck from about a foot high. Perfect!

This is a wonderful flyer, not too much, but just enough to keep you interested, and to allow you to enjoy the basics of this sport without any nasty side effects. The plane is a marvel in design with the two piece wing, removable tail surfaces and simple building features. I have build a little carrying case for the disassembled craft, and now I can go anywhere with little effort, and bring a great flyer and nice looking plane with me in my trunk for that momentary urge to just fly!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Sounds like a nice lil plane. Can you post more pics? I'd like to see how that tail is setup for removal.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Flipper430

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the looks of this plane,Would like to see some pics if possible.I think this would be a nice alternative to a four star.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

I saw one in the LHS the other day but didn't have time to get a good look.

Fox you going to share some photos? We have addictions we need to feed.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:57 AM
clmooring

I am trying to find a nice looking tail dragger ARF to move up to from my low wing, tricycle gear, Prince Pegasus. I am not ready for anything too extreme, 3D. This plane caught my eye at the LHS and I've done some reading on the Internet, etc.

Did you mount the engine upright? Do you think you could have mounted the OS-46AX sideways or possibly inverted?

Also, how do you think it would fly with a simple 4-channel radio?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
SuperBee71

My pulse had very weak landing gear and needs to have lots more support but it is a nice little flyer
Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

i'm looking forwards to building mine, sometime next year i hope. looks really nice and it's going to be electric. i've just bought a hyperion z4025-12 for it and an 80 amp esc. i'm gonna get a 5s 3700 20c hyperion pack for it when the time comes. i fly glow as well as electric but i wanted a big electric and this is it.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:53 PM
lionel2341

I've been flying my Pulse for about 3 months now, and really like it.
Mine is fitted with a Saito 56 and is a screamer. However, the landing gear
area needs to be reinforced. When will the ARF manufacturers get it that
just doing lock box construction just doesn't hold up for the landing gear area.
It' seems to work well the the motor mount area and fusalage, but not the gear.
Other then that this plane is a hoot to fly.

PS have they also heard of EPOXY

Ernie
Old 10-01-2006, 05:38 AM
lrtx1

Hey lionel how hard was it to fit the saito up front? I have heard others complain about this. Got a pic of the nose?

Layne
Old 10-01-2006, 07:27 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

I found the same thing Ernie. My gear came off the very first landing...and it was a perfect landing. I reinforced it with balsa and epoxy and epoxied all of the joints in the entire front of the plane while I was at it. I love the plane though. The snap rolls are awesome![8D]
Old 10-01-2006, 07:04 PM
lionel2341

Installing the saito was not a big problem, the problem is the throttle linkage which is reverse of a standard say OS FX/AX. so I had to use a servo arm mounted to the motor mount in a bellcrank setup to move the throttle linkage smoothly. Worked out really well.
I will try and post a few photos in the next couple of days.

Ernie
Old 10-24-2006, 03:29 PM
marciron

I want to put the OS .46 off my NexStar carcass on the Pulse XT, sounds like it flys real nice, does anyone know how it does for flat out speed on low passes with the OS .46 engine on it.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:20 PM
lionel2341

Don't know about the .46 but I saw one fly with a evolution .52 and it was a rocket. Should fly well with the .46

Ernie
Old 10-24-2006, 09:33 PM
jjman11

Mine has an OS 46 AX with a Macs muffler on it with a 12x4 APC prop and its fassssssssssssstttttttttttttttttt ! I cant get enough of just flyin the pattern at full throttle. Zing, zang zoom.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 AM
waross

Got one a month ago and put an OS 46 Ax on it as well and love the plane. Flew it in 18 mph winds last week with no problems what so ever. Hey jjman how do you like the macs muffler...is it the black one slick looking pipe? you think it is better thant the power box?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:50 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I'm getting the PNP Version.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 AM
AKFireMedic

It will fly just fine with the FXi on it. I have one with a .46fx and it can be fast if you want it to be. I am running a Zinger 12x5 prop just to slow it down a bit. I tried the APC 12x4 and the plane is MUCH faster with this combo but you have to fly it fast. The 5 pitch prop moves a bit more air at low throttle and is much more manageable to fly slow when you want it to.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 AM
jjman11

ORIGINAL: waross

Got one a month ago and put an OS 46 Ax on it as well and love the plane. Flew it in 18 mph winds last week with no problems what so ever. Hey jjman how do you like the macs muffler...is it the black one slick looking pipe? you think it is better thant the power box?

I recommend the Macs muffler, but the only reason I bought it was because I damaged the stock muffler. But, now I'm glad I did. This plane with this setup is made for speed.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:34 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I figured the Stock PnP 46 Pulse would be a good bottom wing trainer. I've flown electric low wing planes before... but not a glow one.

I'm one of those guys who just like to putt around our club field on a calm morning or evening. It's funny, some people never leave thing alone.

You people would cram in a Supercharged 449 in a darn Pinto, or rather some of you would put a Small Block 350 in a darn Chevette. Can anyone just fly there planes stock or what the directions call for? They do make Pylon Racers and Jets for you people that have a need for speed. LOL

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Old 10-28-2006, 06:33 AM
AKFireMedic

Don't worry Peter, the Pulse is a great low speed sunday flier as well. It will handle pretty well a fairly low speeds. It does need a bit of thrust to keep altitude in banked turns but I can fly the pattern at my field at 1/4 throttle no problem. Just like any sport type plane it will need a bit of speed going into any aerobatic move but you can throttle up, pull over the top of the loop, then right back down to 1/4 throttle again. With the flaperons activated you would swear the plane will fall out of the air but instead it just mushes along with the tail a bit low. You'll like the plane...I promise.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:37 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 PM
YellowBlueBird

Although my Pulse XT 40 came out of the box and went to gether perfectly there is one problem. Others seemed to have no problem with the balance. I am using a Sig Pro Balancer and it takes just over two ounces of lead to bring it in spec. This is with an OS 55ax up front. It is a lotta engine but the weight should have helped some with the balance.