Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GSP Giant Chipmunk ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GSP Giant Chipmunk ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:13 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default GSP Giant Chipmunk ?

While I was at the Toledo RC show last month I got a very nice looking Giant chipmunk from Giant Scales planes. I have a saito 91s 4 stroke I can us or a very light 25cc gasser. Has anyone built and flown this plane? The Saito my be a little light on power, but it is the smallest recommended 4 stroke engine. The 25cc gasser I have weigh's 2.5 lbs and may be a little heavy, but is supposed to fly any 120 size plane. This plane has a 71" wing span with 806 sq inch's of wing area. I am a little afraid the wing area may be a little small for the gasser. I figured out the wing loading would come to over 32oz per sq in. Will this plane handle the small gasser?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:15 AM
jstanton

Default RE: GSP Giant Chipmunk ?

I forgot to post the pic. Here it is

Old 05-16-2006, 09:17 AM
jstanton

Don't know what happened. The pic did'nt post. I try again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16650.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	462311  
Old 05-16-2006, 10:11 AM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got two flights on mine so far. First flight trimmed out the plane, seems to fly OK, set up to land after about 5 minutes. Well when it landed (an I didnt plunk it down) the left gear collapses and the planes flips over. On the post flight inspection I discover that the plywood block atop the plywood mount isn't glued on very well, hot glue? I take the plane home and manage to glue the block back in place. Next weekend back to the field, The plane is flying pretty good, just flying the pattern and some loops. Set up to land and guess what? The right gear fold, the plane does another nose over. Back home I go and this time I rip out the sheeting to get to the gear. I get a pair of pliers and am prepared to take out the rips if necessary, but the plywood gear just popped out with a little force. New plywood from an old Top Flight P-51, which fit really well, resheeted and recovered and now it is ready for the third flight. I am flying mine with an Enya 1.55 four stroke, just put the battery back as far as it can go and about four oz. of lead and the plane balances fine.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
jstanton

J.V.

Thanks for the input on the landing gear supports. I'm going to take a good look at both supports and strenghten them tonight.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:31 PM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope that information helps. I hope mine flys as good as it looks. There always seems to be some type of problems with ARF's, but it sure does save a bunch of time.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Robert Hudon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't that a Super Chipmunk (Wide Upper Cowl, Wheelpants) as opposed to a Giant Chipmunk (A large (Giant) size military DHC 1 ?

Robert