Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GEE BEE ARF!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GEE BEE ARF!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:33 PM
juanjm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEE BEE ARF!!

I DECIDED TO GET A GEE BEE ARF, I HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND OUT THERE ARE TWO 71´INCH MODELS, ARE THESE THE SAME MODEL ONLY THAT THEY DIFFERENT BRAND? HOW DO THESE COMPARE THE GREAT PLANES MODEL, I KNOW THE 71 INCH ARE LIGHTER THAN THE GP GEE BEE.
THANK YOU.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Super Splatter

Default RE: GEE BEE ARF!!

the GP version is the way to go, it has all the correct built in measurements for engine thrust angles and correct wing incideance.

But hey, it's a hobby. Try whatever and let us know your experance. I just never hear too many sucess stories from "other" brands.

I have a the GP version and built it with a OS120 Surpass 4 stroke, Find the review here on RCU and you will find it useful for building procedure and landing hints.

I learned to join the wings last, not first. and land with throttle, not eleavator. You'll see

Good luck
Old 06-05-2006, 09:01 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Not sure which one if any you have bught. I have built and flown both. They both fly very well. I think the GP version lands better then the other... Only problem I have with the other version is the wheel pants chatching in the grass. The other version is bigger. As far as what you are seing out there... The ebay cheap one are as good as the other ones sold under other names. If you get the GP one it is a straight forward build with the off brand you will have to do some mods to the landing gear. Any questions feel free to email me. I am putting a 26 cc gasser on my off brand don't think you could do that with the GP one. My off brand needed tons of lead in the nose with a 120 os pumped on it.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bull, why don't you think a G26 can be mounted on the GP Gee Bee? That's what I planned to do on mine.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 AM
BULL-RCU

Sorry shouldn't have said can't. It really depends on the weight of your G26 and if it has magneto or electronic ignition. The GP balences with a 150 saito on the front so with the weight difference of the G26 it would come out nose heavy. You could mount it, you would have to add weight to the tail. With the KMP knock-off version it's way tail heavy with a 120 os pumped I had mounted so I had to add a bunch of lead to the nose. With the gasser it balanced better. The key to this plane is making sure it is balanced on the CG... and keeping it as light as possable. I have flown them both and both fly easy... Landing the GP is easier Wheel pants don't seem to catch and doesn't nose over... I didn't weagh my KMP VS GP but there is no doubt my GP was lighter after all was said and done.

In the end the GP will work with the G26 just make sure it is balanced right.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:35 AM
juanjm

Thank you for your comments Bull RCU, I haven't made my decision yet but I'm strongly leaning toward the 71' version because as you said it just looks bigger. What engine would you choose between a 4 stroke 120, 150 or 26 cc gasser? I'm looking to have good power on it, is the 120 enough?
Thank you.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:57 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanx, Bull. With the G26, I'll start by relocating the servos, etc. as far forwaed as possible.

Do you feel that the firewall will need beefing up on the GP version?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 AM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: juanjm

Thank you for your comments Bull RCU, I haven't made my decision yet but I'm strongly leaning toward the 71' version because as you said it just looks bigger. What engine would you choose between a 4 stroke 120, 150 or 26 cc gasser? I'm looking to have good power on it, is the 120 enough?
Thank you.

I had an OS 120 pumped on my 71" version. It was enough power, but I had a ton of lead on the front. Near the end of las year I hit a bump in the ruway of our grass field and mine lifted off too soon and the tail droped and it was in hover mode which Gee Bee's don't do well... Needless to say the 120 was not enugh power to pull it out and it did a stall nose dive from about 20 feet. It busted up the nose and Insted of rebuilding it they are so cheap on ebay I just ordered a new one. This time I'm putting a Birrilli 26gt on it. Was going to put a Brison 40cc on it but decided to put that in my P-40 Warhawk. Check out the Birillit 26gt it's a really nice motor for the money. With magneto not EI he was selling them for $150 with muffler. This new Gee Bee will cost me around $500 to build not bad!

The only real problem I can see with the 71" version is the landing gear. My wheel pants used to catch the grass all the time and flip. I finally trimed them up to about half way up the tires and changed the angle in the front so when landing the pant would not catch the grass. Ended the problem just didn't look as nice, LOL but landings sure looked and sounded better. The dreaded sound of wheel pants catching "hearing that GOD awful Cracking sound and seing it flip over and taking the HEAD down walk out on the runway! If you haven't heard the Hollow ecco of the thump of a GEE BEE of this sz fliping and hitting the ground (Megga phone effect)... LOL You Will!!! There is a long thread under KMP Gee Bee same plane... It talks about reenforcing the landing gear.... A MUST DO...
Old 06-06-2006, 02:55 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I built and have flown the 71" with an RCV 120 swinging a 20 X12 prop. Take offs are tail high, very scale looking, and awsome, fly's great, lands like a Gee Bee. I did change the landing gear to Robart active struts, with a more solid mount than the kit used. This helped with the wheel pant issue. I got more of the tire out the bottom. I would say that it is a good value, even with the changes, for what it can be had for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14437.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	473093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90496.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	473094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90621.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.6 KB