Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Somtin Extra engine?????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Somtin Extra engine?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 AM
andyjayh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Somtin Extra engine?????

I am just starting to put my kit together today after it has been sitting around for about a year! Had a lot on

Really looking forward to getting it finished off and down the strip as it looks a real nice model.

Couple of questions though. Anyone have any issues with orientation with this model as it is the same top and bottom as far as colour and pattern? What is it like to see in the sky?

Secondly I have a choice of engines for it, on the bench I have a YS63, an Irvine 53 and a JEN56. Any suggestions as which one would be best???? I've read that the four stroke can make the CofG a problem and you end up putting loads of weight on the tail to balance the model.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 05-17-2006, 06:12 AM
WCB

Default RE: Sig Somtin Extra engine?????

I put 3 stripes on the bottom of each wing on the one I had. I ran a Saito .72 four stroke on it which weighs about 16 1/2 ounces. The 1100mah reciever battery went in the fuse near the tail to balance it with no additional weight. I can't comment on your engine choices since I have no experience with any of them. You will enjoy the plane it flies very well.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:03 AM
tuwood

about the only time you could have orientation issues would be straight on (when it's flying towards you, because you're pretty much using the LG as your orientation. Other than that, just put a contrasting scheme & you'll be ok.

As for the engine I'm not sure about those choices, but here's my setup.
OS 46 AX with muffler 17.2oz. Futaba 1000mah NiCD battery (4.2 oz.) shoved all the way against the FW under the tank. I still had to add 1 oz. of nose weight to get it to balance.

I believe the YS weighs around 17.9 oz. so it will be just fine from a weight perspective.

Here's an early video of mine to give you orientation perspective. I don't have wheelpants on, so it makes a little difference straight on.
http://www.uwood.net/video/rc/SSE1.wmv only the third flight, so I wasn't wringing it out yet. ;-)
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 AM
andyjayh

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

The model is starting to come together now, just waiting for the glue to dry on the stabs as I type. I think I will fir the Jen56 engine for now and look for a new 3D model for the YS63. I have a Genesis throttle pipe that I can fit to the Jen and then use a 13x4W prop, should work well [8D]

To help with the orientation issue I have covered the ailerons with bright orange, I might also put some strips on to help some more. I am always surprised when kit manufactures produce kits that have no visual aid in orientation on the colour schemes. I hate having to add colour to a model as I can't cover as well as the manufacturer

Cheers,
Andy
Old 05-22-2006, 09:49 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I had an OS 50 on mine (RIP). Of the engines you have listed, I have personal experience with the Irvine 53, and that would be my choice.

I have seen some with Saito 72 and 82 on them, and they were ballistic, but you will need to get longer gear for prop clearance.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: andyjayh

To help with the orientation issue I have covered the ailerons with bright orange, I might also put some strips on to help some more. I am always surprised when kit manufactures produce kits that have no visual aid in orientation on the colour schemes. I hate having to add colour to a model as I can't cover as well as the manufacturer

Cheers,
Andy
Andy,

Place two or three large chordwise panels from a contrasting color (two or three rib bays per panel) per wing on the bottom using the "windex" technique (I divided each wing panel into thirds on my 4* - pic below) - will be easy to keep oriented and since it's on the bottom, the covering need not be perfect!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22169.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	465063  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:05 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The YS 63 is actually about the same size and weight as a good bearinged .46. I had one on my second SE, and it was the best-performing of the three versions of this model I've had (building #4 as we speak).

In fact, my plan was to get an Irvine 53 for #4, but they are very difficult to get in the US now, with no support network that I know of since Sig stopped handling them.

Be aware, though, that any use of a larger-than-11" prop will require a taller main gear, as P-51B pointed out. The YS 63 did best for me with a 13x6. The .46SF I'll be putting on #4 will swing a 12.25x3.75 APC.

TNT Products here makes a couple of varieties of taller main gear for this model. Shipping across the pond might be a bit steep; but any competent sheet-metal shop could fabricate what you need.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:36 PM
andyjayh

Many thanks for that, much appreciated

Think I will probably give this a go when I have got the build finished, so close now. Would of got it done tonight if I didn't have family visit [>:] Oh well

Cheers,
Andy
Old 05-25-2006, 02:59 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

was at the field yesterday and there were a couple of sig somethin extras.one had a os 46 and the other an evolution 46 that came off a trainer.both flew well and the evolution 46 was fast! very windt day and most of us being semi insane flew in it.the extra something did well and is a very very stable plane.just me but putting a engine bigger than the 53 on is not necessary .the evo e6 pulled it straight up..