Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

tiger 60 ARF control rods

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

tiger 60 ARF control rods

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:02 AM
lalaland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tiger 60 ARF control rods

The tiger 60 arf comes with dowel rods for rudder and elevator control. Are these ok to use or should I use a different type of control rod?

please reply
Old 05-17-2006, 07:40 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: tiger 60 ARF control rods

Yeah, they've flown in most of the Tiger60s and worked well. Unless they look weak or warped they will be ok.

Pushrods are one of the pieces of equipment that people often have preferences. Basically everything works. Almost all are strong enough.

It's worthwhile to have the least mass in the connecting system that you can have. Under flight G-forces and in a crash, heavy pushrods are a liability. So it's worthwhile to use the lightest system you care to mess with. People used to want fiberglass arrow shaft pushrods because they were slightly lighter and a billion times stronger than you need. Same deal with carbon fiber shafts now. Funny thing is that there really isn't the weight savings from fiberglass to carbon to match the price difference. whatever.......

I use carbon fiber tubes that're just large enough that 2-56 pushrods fit into snugly. I J&BWeld short threaded rods into the ends. They're way stiffer than necessary and light enough. They still are supported near the center of their runs. Way overkill or stiffness and not a big savings in weight, but I like to do it that way.

I've got a couple of airplanes I built in the 70s with wooden dowel pushrods. They still fly excellently.

And the wood hasn't worn out yet.... chuckle.....