Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Easy Stik

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Easy Stik

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:25 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Easy Stik

Anyone bought one of these planes....any thoughts on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62466.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	463077  
Old 06-13-2009, 01:41 PM
griesel

Default RE: Ultra Easy Stik

I just bought an Ultra Easy Stik on Ebay. They go for about $100, give or take.
I am starting to assemble this one and I will periodically post progress by editing this message.

MANUAL - You have to download it and it was hardly worth the effort. For starters the plane
in the manual is quite different than the one shipped. No cheeks and wing servos are hidden.
I like what they are shipping now as it is closer to a Great Planes Big Stik.

ASSEMBLING THE TWO PARTS OF THE FUSELAGE: The little pegs do not align up well. What
I did was CA the four pegs in one half and some ended up at angles when you glued on two
sides. Then I used a file and filed away until I got a tight fit. Be careful aligning the two halfs
as the stabilizer is on the bottom. Then when every thing fit nicely I epoxied the two halves
together.

ASSEMBLYING THE TWO WING HALVES: I trial fit the wing joiner and then marked as to
which side goes where. There is some dihedral but only a small amount - less than a typical
trainer. I drilled the two wing halves for a 1/8 inch wood dowel to help keep the wings aligned
while glueing. Slathered half of the joiner and the inside of one hole with epoxy and stuck in
the joiner. Expoxied the rest and put the wing halves together. Clamped the front tangs together
and rubber banded the rear to hold it all together. I ended up with a bit more than normal gap
on top of the wing between the tangs and the rear even though both ends were clamped.
Its about a 1/16 and I will live with it. I tried filling the gap with epoxy as shown, in the manual.
That was a messy disaster and I don't recommend it. Most of the gap needed filling was covering
material and so there was little increase in strength.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 PM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Ibought one to and it went together pretty easy the only thing i have a problem with is the landing gear as with all arf from china or else where I would beef it up and when I flew it this weekend it would not get off the grass runway even with a k&b 45 it trimed out easy and no flutter in the controls at high speed I modified it with a tail wheel I am going to redo the main gear with a sheet metal landing gear if you take off in grass you will see what i mean about the landing gear on landings its a floater so use your throtle I balanced it per the instruction and just a little nose low enjot it I sure did michael
Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM
mrbsltz

Ihave the 60-90 size Ultra Stick. Got it off ebay for $100 including postage. Great plane, Ifly mine with a ST.75 and a macs pipe. Nothing really bad to report about the plane except maybe the covering. After some flights if oil gets under the covering, it'll start coming off the plane, mostly on the bottom of the fuse. I've taken some epoxy and run under the covering that was coming up, held down with pins while drying. Anyway, it fixed it. For the money, you can't beat it.
I think Towers Big Sky goes for about $225 or so, you could buy two of these and have some money left over.
Keep your wings level...
Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 AM
griesel

I finally got mine finished and flying. Mods included installing 550 CC tank. Beefing up the main gear
mounting and changing to 1/4-20 nylon bolts, on the gear, and an OS 91FX up front. With a 1600MAH 6v
4.3 oz receiver battery mounted just behing the firewall CG came in at 55MM. The manual value is 127
mm, only 72 mm nose heavy. Almost 3 inches This is by far the farthest off I have ever seen on a plane.
All up weight was 6lb 7oz. Near the top listed weight of 6.5 lbs. I moved the battery to just in front of the
fin in the fuselage and CG came in at 95MM. With a chord of 15.3 inches an ideal CG would be at 25% of
MAC which would be 97MM. Close enough for me.
Flew the plane this morning; and it took a bunch of nose down trim and a few clicks of aileron trim to
get it leveled out. It cruised around nicely at about 40% of maximum throttle. Landings were easy with
a 10 - 1 1 mpg gusts quartering to cross wind. Typical Stik. I could not do more as the engine was quiting
lean at full throttle. This with 7.5 turns out on the main needle. Mid range was good and idle was poor at
too rich. Two flights - two dead stiks. No damage.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
bostonba745

griesel are you saying the new ones do not have the cheeks on them? I've been looking at buying one of these but i don't like the way they look with cheeks on them
Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got one of these too off of ebay, the .25 sized one. I only paid $30 plus 12-13 shipping. This is a great little plane at a great price, its well built, and has covering that actually shrinks with an iron. It is a fantastic flyer with a .25 sized ball bearing engine, with a plain bearing rather wimpy but still flies. For a plane so cheap it does need a few things to make it a really good plane. First, lose the wire landing gear and bolt on some dural gear, .40 sized preferably to give the prop ground clearance. My wire landing gear broke the mounting blocks after two flight, also had to be bent many times. Also don't make the mistake of using a wire skid, put on a tailwheel before gluing the rudder on. These two things will turn it from a good deal to a great plane. I had trouble with the fuel tank. The metal clunk had a very small hole that made fuel draw difficult. After a number of dead stiks I drilled that little thing out and now it works like a champ. It has most of the things a big stik does, even has servos mounted in the wings as opposed to torque rods. Hard to find that in cheap little airplanes. With all those servos etc, I thought it might be overweight but even with the first engine I put on (fp25) it flew pretty well. When I mounted the .25 fsr it really came alive. I would say the only thing I don't really like is the ugly covering colors. They previously had an authentic looking covering job with maltese crosses, but have gone to some lame looking blue, tan, and white color that really doesn't look attractive. I have already put a number of towerkote red patches on various boo boos, so now it looks better, but still I wish they'd stik with true stik colors. They sell these like hotcakes over ebay. Just do a search of ultra easy stik and you'll come up with the listings. Here's a recent listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-32-RC-Sports-...item2c51fa7459

The id of the ebay seller is cyradio. They also appear under some other names at high prices, but this guy auctions them off to the highest bidder, sometimes quite low, other times he gets more.