Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Success with Freedom

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Success with Freedom

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:04 PM
phr0zen81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Success with Freedom

I choose FireBird Freedom for my 1st RC experience.
First got the plane 2 weeks ago through Ebay. (bad idea)
No success on the first try out right after i received it, further investigation, I
noticed the few creases on the tail (out of the box!), but didnt pay much attention to it.

Needless saying the plane kept wanna tip to the left despite all the adjustments made to
the tail. OH and by the way, DO NOT fly with ACT on if ur just learning i found out it screws
things up...instead gain a little altitude and fly with it OFF.

Got new wings and tail and that made all the diference, 2nd time out i couldnt wait for a not
windy day and got out there anyway, 9..13mph steady winds + gusts, hand launch, flew great,
lots of fun in the wind, kinda hard to land but the tall grass was there .

To anyone just starting and having trouble i would seriously recommend checking out RealFlight G3
RC Simulator, get some practice this way. Been a Flight Sim freak for a decade now and its a completly
different story when u dont have a cockpit view!

My next step is to move on to a gas powered. Anyone has any inputs on a good RTF? My eyes
have been on Hobbicom's NexSTAR...looks like a serious little upgrade.

rock ON

to believe
Old 05-19-2006, 05:00 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Success with Freedom

The hobbyzone planes are very good planes to get peoples feet wet when it comes to planes. It will get people used to the third demention of flight and control reversal when the plane is flying towards you. When it does come to upgrading to nitro planes (4 channel) you do have ailerons to worry about which can get you into some sticky situations. But with a buddy box with an instructor will of course be manditory.
Im the manager here at hobbytown in VA and ive sold plenty of the planes but, ive seen a lot of people thinking this will replace the instructor. Of course they find out the hard way its really differant than those parkflyers.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:10 AM
phr0zen81

Default RE: Success with Freedom

I agree with you, heck, target's $30 rc planes are probably the best way to start if your doing it alone.
A few more flight hours and I should be ready for the 4 channel (still want the NexSTAR).

I would still recommend the Freedom (with ACT OFF) to people who have previously "played" with flight sims and
have basic flying notion. This being my first RC anything, and, considering, i have so far less than $250 invested
(spare parts including 1 fuselage replacement) i think my lonesome attempt wasnt so "wet". But then again i have lots of
flight sim hours. (if it makes any diference).

What about the NexSTAR?... I like it.

rock ON