Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Modeltech Twister nosing over on taxiing

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Modeltech Twister nosing over on taxiing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 01:31 AM
sal2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeltech Twister nosing over on taxiing

Does anyone know what a good fix is for this since I am really getting upset.....It keeps cracking my props and its very annoying, CG is at recommended 4 inches back, but, i guess i can move it back to 5. I doubt it will hlp too muc since the wheels are so swept back.
So can someone tell me fix, or even better a stright landing gear rather than swept back that looks good.
Thanks guys
Old 05-29-2006, 02:43 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Modeltech Twister nosing over on taxiing

I'm not familure with the landing gear so can't comment there. I wouldn't move the CG if it is set where they suggest. So that just leaves me ONE suggerstion > Use full up to taxi, then let it off a little at a time on your take off roll. Just be carefull and not have much up when you break ground or you may snap. Also :: DON'T taxi too fast. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 05-29-2006, 02:59 PM
kinverflyer

My CG is a bit further back about 10mm and I fly off grass never had a problem with nosing over, i always use elevator and accelerate slowly at first until the tail plane becomes effective.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not know what landing gear you have. But I always have better luck with the landing gear bent or swep forward on most of my tail draggers. They handle and steer better too. Capt,n
Old 05-29-2006, 11:03 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I'm wondering, are you flying on grass? Are the wheels tall enough? That's one of the biggest problems at our field. Either the grass gets too tall and makes it difficult and/or the wheels on some planes are too short and need to be taller.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:33 AM
sal2006

yeah im taking off grass, the wheels are setup pretty high, so i doubt its the issue, its just the design of the plane, this is the only fault with this plane seriously..
Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
rclement

Okay. It was just a thought about the grass being the problem. I have a Accel Hobbies Katana profile that doesn't do well on the ground either. It's short and tippy on the ground and tends to want to nose over real easy especially when the grass hasn't been mowed lately. The only thing I've found to keep it from nosing over is to hold up elevator as soon as it lands and to hold up elevator while taking off. It's a handfull though! Once it's in the air it's awesome!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:21 AM
badz

Not to make you sound dumb but are you positive the control throw on the elevators working the proper direction? Sounds like either that or your extremly nose heavy is the issue.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

I usually increase the diameter of the tires to around 2 3/4 - 3" range for grass and also take the wire landing gear off and bend it farther forward and re-install it. The landing gear will continually bend back with landings so I have to do this frequently. When taxiing to the runway I use full up elevator and watch for the tipping and apply power.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
triplesnaproll

I plan on buying one and I am going to put a gear off a U can Do 46 with 2.5 inch wheels. I fly off grass and always apply up elevator while taxing and on the starts on take off.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:56 AM
RC-Captain

For grassy take offs you must use bigger wheels and up elevator to prevent tipping over. Also if you use dual rates which with this plane for sport and aerobatic the recommended set up rates are high enough then remeber to use high on take offs and landings. I have nailed some beutifull landings with this plane by letting the plane touch the ground the giving more throttle and up elevator to speed and prevent tipping over. I also am able to taxi back to me as I hate to walk on the almost always muddy run way.

PS I am ordering a new landing gear just to try something else. I feel your pain.