Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WM new ARF -- Extra 300S 80"

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WM new ARF -- Extra 300S 80"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 02:20 AM
RC Billy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM new ARF -- Extra 300S 80"

Just look at World Models webpage and see this new EX300S. Does anyone knows where I can get one?

http://www.theworldmodels.com/extra300s.htm

Can't wait to get one
Old 01-30-2002, 02:33 AM
jabowil-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Beautiful model! there are several mail order shops in the U.S. that offer the World Models. Try www.airborne-models.com
Old 01-30-2002, 02:37 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Default WM Extra 300 80 inch

I LIIIIIIIKE!!! Plus they show it coming in 3 color schemes, looks like it might also be a good candidate for a G62. Dazzler
Old 01-30-2002, 03:55 AM
RC Billy

I'm new to large airplanes. Any suggestion on engine size for this airplane?
Old 01-30-2002, 04:15 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

World Models has always produced great ARF's. I'm sure this one will be know different.

Problem with this model much like all the rest out there is going to be the wing loading. They are suggesting a 180 four stroke or 160 two-stroke. WM has been pretty honest with they’re weight figures thus far.

Anyhow this model with a gasser is gonna be as heavy as all the rest equipped with a light gasser, I'd guess 15-16lbs easy.

Forget about heavy engines...

At fourteen pounds with the lighter glow engines engines it will work fine for most, guys with fat heads and nimble fingers will need more...

Someone hurry up and get one....
Old 01-30-2002, 04:46 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by mglavin
guys with fat heads
Hey now! I resemble that remark! :-)
Old 02-02-2002, 01:45 AM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

Default WM extra

I've seen a lot of positive comments about WM arfs, although I've never owned one. How are the instruction manuals? Do they leave a lot to the imagination, or are they pretty decent? How about the quality in general?

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:17 AM
DeadRinger

The 160 should do pretty good in that plane at 14 lbs....looks like a candidate for my tuned pipe that I bought for the 160 and a Mejz 18/8...it won't be a stump puller like some of them will end up being after guys get thru putting ZDZ 80's on them but I bet it would do real nice.

Blueyonder...WM stuff is really good quality but the instructions are now phone book size, tell you everything instructions. I have had 3 WM planes and will look forward to owning more, which is more than I can say for name brand stuff that has been around for 50 yrs.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:07 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default WM Quality

Hi Blueyonder,

I built(assembled) one of WM's Giant P-51 Miss America's and was very impressed with the general quality, fit and finish, though it was not perfect. I did not like the retracts(they were too flimsy) and as with all ARFs I've had, you need to go over all the glue joints. Other than that it was really nice. As I recall, the instruction manual was ok, but nothing to write home about. If you've ever built any planes before, (and I certainly hope you have, as this certainly would not make a good first plane) who cares.

I sold the plane before flying it, but I've heard good things about the flying quality of that plane and many of their others.

As suggested it looks like a light gasser is the way to go if you want a bunch of vertical; Taurus 2.6/3.2, ZDZ40, BME 44/50, FPE 2.4, Brison 3.2....and if you want to go cheap, and still stay light with reasonable power, get one of RC Ignition's Poulen conversions.

Bill
Old 02-02-2002, 10:01 AM
W4RCF

Default World Models planes in general

I have flown about half of the models made by World Models and haven't found one yet I would hesitate to own. I own three of them and their Extra 300-120 is my favorite of my 9 planes. Most of mine are giant scale, but that Extra (once I found THE right CG) is just tremendous!

I have flown the big and small Miss America and as someone pointed out, forget the furnished retracts. Just won't work! Their new Mustang (military version) will have Robart retracts and flaps when released later this year. For a beginner or senior flier, their Frontier Senior with a .65 or .90 four stroke just can't be beat! It is almost impossible to stall that plane when landing. If you plan on lots of power on loops, I would suggest struts, however.

I can truly say that (except for the cheap hardware and soft landing gear), they are great airplanes!

fred
Old 02-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

Default WM

Thanks for all the input.... very helpful!
Old 02-03-2002, 04:49 PM
W4RCF

Default Re: WM extra

Originally posted by Blueyonder
I've seen a lot of positive comments about WM arfs, although I've never owned one. How are the instruction manuals? Do they leave a lot to the imagination, or are they pretty decent? How about the quality in general?

Thanks for any input.
Blueyonder,

They do have a limited but adequate manual. They don't tell you, but balance the plane top side up, as you would with a high wing. The shoulder wing does not balance like a low wing. I verified it with WM via email. I love mine and it's the best flier of my 9 ships. Happy Landings!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2196_2517.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1970  
Old 02-06-2002, 12:58 PM
BALSA BANDIT

I should get paid for this, I could be the poster boy for World Models. I have had just about every model they supply. I'm a little past the trainer stage. All of their products are of excellent quality, only exception is the landing gears. They need to beef up the entire area that holds the gear to keep the mount in the plane. My Miss America has a OS BGX in the nose and It WOWS everyone at the field every time I fly it. With 3D inputs it will do an inverted flat spin in its own body length, but you have to be real carefull getting out of it, it will snap like a champ if you input to much elevator when pulling out. My hats off the them for all of their planes. Ken....The "BALSA BANDIT"