Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Os 1.08 needs a home

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Os 1.08 needs a home

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Railinrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Os 1.08 needs a home

I need some suggestions guys. I picked up a brand new o.s. 1.08fsr at the IMAA fly-in @ castle AFB cheap and I'm not sure what kinda plane I should put it in.I was gonna put it in 63" sukhoi I've had sittin on the shelf but I've come to the realization the engine is too much for the no-name sukhoi (its a .50-.70 size plane)I'm not sure what I was thinking there. I want something aerobatic and somewhat spirited with maybe SOME 3-d qualities . Hopefully theres a plane out there to fit what I'm looking for theres just so many to choose from.Biplane or monoplane it doesnt matter .
thanks in advance
Rob
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Os 1.08 needs a home

The "SHOW TIME" from Hanger Nine would be a perfect match.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

I had one in a Goldberg Ultimate and it was awesome in that plane. Also like the goldberg Pitts M12
Old 06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

The "SHOW TIME" from Hanger Nine would be a perfect match.
Indeed it is. I have this combo. Handles wind well, will accelerate straight up with an APC 16x6, and in calm air is positively orgasmic. This is nothing more than a pattern plane with large control surfaces; and its smoothness and stability has to be experienced to be believed.

"They" say it does 3D with the best of them; I wouldn't know about that, but I CAN assure you that, with reduced throws, it does beautiful precision aerobatics.

Some examples have had incidence issues. This is easily corrected during assembly, but read the big thread on this airplane for details. And glue the horizontal stabs in place. The method of attaching them for easy removal is pretty cheesy and has generated many complaints, as it gets sloppy very quickly. This, and the supplied tailwheel unit, is IMO the only areas that aren't up to the rest of the model.

Horizon has recently dropped the price to $200. I'm seriously considering getting another one to keep "in the box" for the day when mine dies (as they all eventually must)...

One other caveat... the throttle set-up is planned for an inverted four stroke. The 1.08 is best installed side-mount, with a Pitts muffler. This way, the throttle arm is a looonnnggg way from where the pushrod exits the firewall. This is easy to cure (PM me if you intend to do this); or, you can mount the 1.08 inverted and use the stock muffler. Seems a shame to butcher the nice cowl for that, however...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Railinrob

I think I'm leaning towards a biplane I love both the ultimate and the pitts.I'll probably replace my funtana with a showtime should she expire
Old 06-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Railinrob

Just out of curiousity should I pull the saito 100 from my funtana and install the 1.08 instead ?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:39 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

It would give you more power but if the funtana is flying fine on the 100 leave it alone.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:07 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

It would give you more power but if the funtana is flying fine on the 100 leave it alone.
Agreed.

The 1.08 I have came out of a Funtana 90, and the owner rarely got above half throttle.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Railinrob

Thx guys my funtana flies perfect as is .You're right I'll leave it alone , the 1.08 will get a new home in some sort of bipe when the time comes an extra 300 with ys120 and smoke system followed me home from a buddies house today so it seems the 1.08 will have to wait for a little while longer.Just out of curiousity was 150 bucks a god deal on a brand new 1.08 in the box with a muffler and 7d carb or did I get had?
thanks for the help guys
Rob
Old 06-08-2006, 07:52 AM
LSP972

Providing the engine is in good overall shape (ring not sticking or worn, etc.), you got one hell of a deal.

The 7D carb is one of the best OS ever made; it was intended for Pattern engines. Mine has one.

IMO, these carburetors are head and shoulders above that communist rear-mount needle valve trash the later (and current) OS two strokes are coming with.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Railinrob

Cool,I was hoping I got a good deal as after I inspected it it looked like it did when the guy bought it in the 80's still sealed in the bag.I 've run 2 tanks thru it and it seems like a brute so its a welcome addition to my growing airplane parts stockpile .
Old 06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A Carl Goldberg Pitts Monster would be a nice home for the OS....